Low GPA

Hey guys,

I am new here so just have a few questions... looking to graduate in dec '18 and a gpa of 3.0 and i've been a scribe for about 4 years in the ER and clinics. I have recommendation letters from physicians in the ER and a nephrologist. I have shadowed two clinic PA's and two ER PA's. I haven't taken my GRE yet but would you guys think I'd have an interview for the next cycle coming up? Also do i need to have my gre score before submitting my application? Would it be considered that when I submit my application ill still be taking classes so chance of my GPA improving?

Sorry for so many questions, just found this website!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2018 at 1:18 PM, Peanut3 said:

Hello,

Getting in with a low GPA is possible. I went to school when I was 18 and destroyed my gpa. Now that I am older, mature, responsible and have goals I have increased my gpa significantly. However, when getting an overall gpa it calculates those bad grades as well and just drops it. Schools want to see an upward trend. I know some look at the last 40 or 60 quarter credits because that gives them a good idea of what kind of student you are now. Also, you need to have a good science gpa as well. This is different from your overall gpa. A lot of schools if you don’t have above a 3.0 in both of these categories you can’t even apply. Or you could but you would be wasting money and time. Also, with a low gpa it is good to show where you excel in other areas. For instance strengths and commitment to the community by volunteering. There are ton of areas one can volunteer find an area that speaks to you. This will also help with your personal statement. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you 

• 1 month later...

Recently attended Pacific’s open house, thought I would chime in.

I think you would be considered for some programs, but right now I don’t think Pacific is a great fit for you. 

It was stated that the number one thing that Pacific considers when offering interviews is GPA, specifically BCP GPA and last 45 semester credits. Hard GPA cutoff is 3.0, but soft cutoff is 3.4. Basically if you’re sub 3.4 you’re very likely to get screened out. To be competitive, the two considered GPAs should be averaging out to at least a 3.6. 

They gave some stats to give us an idea. 2200 applications received, about 2000 verified and complete, and only about 700 are seriously considered. Leah Baldwin, director of admissions, said that the other 1300 or so applicant are rejected quickly, mostly on the basis of GPA. 

There are LOTS of programs that prefer PCE over really high GPA, but Pacific is not one of them. You may just need to look for programs that are more suited to your background and strengths. 

Side note, Pacific doesn’t consider the GRE. 

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard Pacific weights GPA very highly in their admissions process! You might want to take some extra courses to try to bump up your GPA, or focus on applying to schools who value PCE over GPA. Also, pacific does not require or look at GRE scores, so no need to worry there !

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to emphasize that getting in with a low GPA is possible. I am in my first year at Pacific and I had a low overall GPA. Overall 3.24, BCP 3.6, last 60-3.68. So technically I fit into the category that hmtpnw put forth.  I think the most important thing to look at is overall compared to BCP and last 45 or 60 credit hours. I like many did not think GPA mattered in undergraduate and did not take school seriously. When I decided to become a pa I realized that I needed to buckle down and get good grades. So Look at your transcripts and calculate the different GPA's. If they are like mine and trend upward you have a better shot at getting an interview. If they are not maybe take some more science classes and get that GPA up or find schools that focus on other aspects of the application more so than GPA.

Some schools use other items in their screening criteria in addition to GPA. I know that Idaho State University (figured that if you were asking about Pacific, you may want to hear about ID, sort of PNW) uses GPA, GRE, and an additional bonus in their screening process if you are a minority, nontraditional student type (I think), veteran, etc. So if you consider applying to a school with this process, a stellar GRE score can go a long way in securing an interview. I was interviewed there with ~ 3.15 cumulative, a mediocre GRE, and the extra point for being a veteran. I was accepted the same day I interviewed, but ended up choosing a different program. Not that I did not like their program, but I ended up with a better opportunity elsewhere. Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 8:22 PM, AdamPAS said:

Some schools use other items in their screening criteria in addition to GPA. I know that Idaho State University (figured that if you were asking about Pacific, you may want to hear about ID, sort of PNW) uses GPA, GRE, and an additional bonus in their screening process if you are a minority, nontraditional student type (I think), veteran, etc. So if you consider applying to a school with this process, a stellar GRE score can go a long way in securing an interview. I was interviewed there with ~ 3.15 cumulative, a mediocre GRE, and the extra point for being a veteran. I was accepted the same day I interviewed, but ended up choosing a different program. Not that I did not like their program, but I ended up with a better opportunity elsewhere. Good luck. 

I was wondering if you or anyone had any specific schools in mind that I should try and target.

I was a Hospital Corpsman for 5 years and MA while in my first two years of undergrad and am finishing up my degree in Biology this Fall 2018.

PCE- 11,000

GPA 3.4

Science 3.2

GRE- Q 141 V 161

I don't know what happened during the Q- section because I have an A in college algebra and Statistics.

Thanks!

I do suggest Idaho State if you can afford to be out of state. Theirs was a good program that is flexible, and very veteran friendly. If you’re like I was with leftover GI Bill benefits you want to do your research on what’s covered. I could not accurately say, because I know things have changed even in the past 2 years since I was looking. All that said, the more organized AND THOROUGH, your research into these programs, the more likely you will end with an acceptance.

Your ‘stats’ look better than mine did, except for your science. I would suggest that you try to work in a hard science course that may benefit you over the summer before applying and WORK HARD to ace it IOT get your science GPA up. Do not take something easy just to boost your GPA, these programs appreciate that you try to learn and prepare yourself as much as possible. Your experience is much greater than mine was, so that will probably be a big benefit.

I attached just an example (this is old, so is not reliable on its own now) of the spreadsheet I used to track which programs I could apply to and when. Being organized helped really narrow the search, and probably led to my acceptance. Make something that fits your plans, preferences and such.

Lastly, I don’t know what others suggest, because I just did things my own way (a good reason this whole post ought to be ignored), but I did not let an English professor, writing lab, etc. get a hold of my paper. I had it reviewed by friends and family for absolute sincerity, because they knew me, and then I proofread it. 

Best piece of advise, “Ya just gotta want it.”

PA SCHOOL COMPARISON.xlsx

Like AdamPAS said maybe take a hard science course and get and A to boost that science GPA as much as you can. Idaho uses a file score system to determine interviews and acceptances ( I don't know if you are familiar but the math is pre-req GPA+ your percentage rankings on the V and Q GRE tests) When I applied there I found out from the forum that they were interviewing in my score range so I applied late but kinda knew I was going to get an interview. 

For schools to apply to just do A LOT of research see what your chance are with ones you are interested in. I picked states I was ok moving to and then found schools I could apply to and did. You never really know what the school might see in your app and want to pursue you further, ya know. 

Pretty ambiguous, but each case is different and things change year to year. 

Good luck and keep on pursuing 

• 1 month later...

Archived