"Flu-Like Symptoms"

"In-Flu-Enza... Then immediately turned around and flew over the cuckoo's nest."

With flu being on the last quarter stretch this season I thought it would be fun to share some stories of how you went down the rabbit hole chasing patients triaged as "Flu-like symptoms"; ultimately leading to a complete 360 diagnosis.

For example:

Triage note: 23AAF here with "Flu-like symptoms" (Fever, cough, body aches).  + sick contact at home with similar sx.

23AAF previously healthy, sexually active female, presents with fever (Tmax 104), dry cough, HA, N/V x 1 episode, and body aches that start in right lower back area then radiates to her entire body. Onset 1 day ago. Reports that her son is having similar sx that started a day before hers. Endorses +malaise, +Rhinorrhea, +congestion, +lower abdominal pain, +anorexia, +yellow malodorous vaginal discharge,  Denies Vision changes, sore throat, neck pain/stiffness, chest pain, SOB, diarrhea, dysuria, hematuria, pregnancy.

On Exam she is afebrile, VSS wnl. HEENT exam unremarkable. Neck supple, FROM without meningismus. Lungs CTAB. Heart RRR no mgr. Abd +bs, non distended,  moderate suprapubic, LLQ, and RLQ ttp most appreciated, no CVAT b/l. 

*Sigh... really I have to do a pelvic on a "Flu-like sx"?!*

Pelvic exam no discharge seen, +CMT, b/l adnexal ttp without masses, uterine ttp.

Ddx:  

1. Viral syndrome - high prob based off hx, however no objective findings, flu swab negative.

2. GYN path - Mod prob for PID, sexually active, hx of vag d/c, pelvic exam with CMT, b/l adnexal ttp, uterine ttp, WBC wnl, mild pyuria on UA, G/C cultures obtained. Will treat clinically. TOA unlikely, afebrile, NAD, no adnexal masses, sx x 1 day. TAUS neg for masses. UPT neg.

3. Appy - Low probability, Alvarado score 4. RLQ US neg for 2nd signs of appy.

4.UTI - no dysuria, mild pyuria/hematuria, no cvat.

Dx: Viral syndrome and PID

Anyone else have good ones?

**G/C culture grew + 3 days later too.

Just got home from a shift with a “flu-like symptoms” patient. Vitals stable, HR right about 100 with some quiet lung sounds on the right. Afebrile, nontoxic. Something felt off about it so I caved and did labs and a chest X-ray to shut up the voice in my head.

WBC was 42k, CXR showed right sided hemopneumothorax, which CT characterized as empyema with a 50% pneumo. Surgeon opted to take her to the OR to drain everything.

Flu swab was negative though, so at least she has that going for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just sent an email to our nurses and MAs that their triage note cannot simply say “flu like sxs.” Yesterday I had a patient whose “flu like sxs” were abdominal pain, fever, diarrhea, and vomiting. It was appendicitis.

“But that’s what the patient said!” the nurses cry. I don’t care. Ask them, “What kind of symptoms are you having, specifically?”

Flu is a diagnosis, not a chief complaint!

Sorry for the rant. This is a big pet peeve of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived