Recommended Posts

http://wcyb.com/news/virginia-news/virginia-bill-would-elevate-nurse-practitioner-profession

Every time I turn my head I see the above news article. Not only are NPs full steam ahead, they are in the spotlight 24/7. Even if the law was not signed, the NPs are always getting news attention which makes them look MUCH better than us. We all know about the curriculum, clinical hours, time we spend in our seat at school, etc....known of this matters if we are falling behind the times and not advocating for ourselves. Why is it that PAs are not in the spotlight and passing laws. What is holding us up? Are we just not motivated to move the needle or we just want to ride on the shoulders of the MD/DO? We cannot keep living like this. Even if we ride on the doctors shoulders, we will get stomped out by the NPs in the way of laws and taking our jobs. There are countless places that are in my area that want an NP over a PA. I cannot even get into a PRN minute clinic as they want an NP. You might say to yourself that my state laws are different for PAs and NPs, but they are actually the exact same. So why does that big hospital allow/want NPs in their minute clinic, but refuses to let PAs work their as well? I was told by HR that those jobs were for NPs only, no other comment, they would not even let me apply even after I told them about the state laws being exactly the same. They STILL thought NPs were more independent and needed less oversight, etc....

Please get involved in your state chapters and advance PAs into the next century.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changing the name of our title would be a good first start.........

 

"Physician Assistant" is kind of weak.....  Change the name first, have the NCCPA take some money they bilk us for our membership dues and PANRE dues, etc....and buy a National Ad on TV or a bulletin board promoting our profession in several major US cities.  Or a radio ad, or something, jeez.

 

Weak, weak, weak representation.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup...we have been asking for a national PR campaign almost  as long as we have been in existence, certainly for the last 25 years I have been involved with the profession as a pre-pa, student, and working PA.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NPs in and of themselves are not a PR machine.  It is their base profession that is lifting them up; that being the nursing profession and their active lobbies.  We don't have that core base that they do.  It's as simple as that.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife started watching a new drama on Fox called "The Resident" and thought I would like it because the main guy is an ex corpsman. I started watching it and it is not bad but besides getting some medical info wrong (what med drama doesn't), they get some military stuff wrong like one if the main characters states his brother was on the Army but they show a picture with him and he's in Navy dress whites also the "corpsman" mentions enlisting on the marines to become a corpsman. Corpsman are navy though we work with the marines... Sigh but that's nit what pissed me off. They had an episode where the intern was asked to do scut and he asks the 3rd year "can't you get one of the Physician's Assistants to do that?" then they show this RN (played by Peggy Carter's niece in Cap'n America movies) who in the show functions as a floor nurse but calls herself a NP and manages to be the hero against the evil docs in the show. When one of the residents asked another why she is not a doctor since she is soooo good, the other answers "She is getting her doctor of nursing" like it's equivalent uggh... They also wear their stethoscopes wrong on all the episodes....

So they mention PA's once but manage to put in all the offenses we hate about the misperception of our profession in one short sentence: "can't you get one of the Physician's Assistants to do it?"

Yes we need more proper publicity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
http://wcyb.com/news/virginia-news/virginia-bill-would-elevate-nurse-practitioner-profession
Every time I turn my head I see the above new article. Not only are NPs full steam ahead, they are in the spotlight 24/7. Even if the law was not signed, the NPs are always getting news attention which makes them look MUCH better than us. We all know about the curriculum, clinical hours, time we spend in our seat at school, etc....known of this matters if we are falling behind the times and not advocating for ourselves. Why is it that PAs are not in the spotlight and passing laws. What is holding us up? Are we just not motivated to move the needle or we just want to ride on the shoulders of the MD/DO? We cannot keep living like this. Even if we ride on the doctors shoulders, we will get stomped out by the NPs in the way of laws and taking our jobs. There are countless places that are in my area that want an NP over a PA. I cannot even get into a PRN minute clinic as they want an NP. You might say to yourself that my state laws are different for PAs and NPs, but they are actually the exact same. So why does that big hospital allow/want NPs in their minute clinic, but refuses to let PAs work their as well? I was told by HR that those jobs were for NPs only, no other comment, they would not even let me apply even after I told them about the state laws being exactly the same. They STILL thought NPs were more independent and needed less oversight, etc....
Please get involved in your state chapters and advance PAs into the next century.
You're only getting this NOW?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

You're only getting this NOW? emoji50.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
 

Haha! No, just at my breaking point with why PAs in general do NOT do anything to move their profession forward. Just getting tired of PAs crying about FNPs, but they cannot simply send a letter to their state representative and get involved with their state chapter (going to meetings and pay the tiny little due of a couple hundred dollars/yr). In my state only about 10% of PAs are paying for their state chapter dues. Blows my mind that PAs do not want to give up a few hours a month and a few bucks to help their profession. Makes me want to go back to NP school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

NPs in and of themselves are not a PR machine.  It is their base profession that is lifting them up; that being the nursing profession and their active lobbies.  We don't have that core base that they do.  It's as simple as that.

Why don't we? Cause people do not join their state chapters and/or just email about issues to their local/state rep. Very easy, an email is free so why not do it...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is driven by $$

 

nursing unions are HUGE 

 

PA unions/agency not so much (getting bigger)

 

 

If everyone gave $10 to AAPA PAC it would be $1m they would have - that is not much for national advocacy

 

It takes US giving some $$ to they can advocate for us...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ventana said:

this is driven by $$

 

nursing unions are HUGE 

 

PA unions/agency not so much (getting bigger)

 

 

If everyone gave $10 to AAPA PAC it would be $1m they would have - that is not much for national advocacy

 

It takes US giving some $$ to they can advocate for us...

 

Why $10? Is that extra over the AAPA dues? How about state chapters or even better, emailing your local/state reps, that is FREE! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need full time public affairs people working at the state and national levels for you, plain an simple, not people that do it as a side gig.  I'm willing to bet that AAPA's Public Affairs person is a PA-C with a real PA-C job besides the PAO job...they should spend some of your hard earned dues on hiring people to do nothing but put y'all in the spotlight and get independent research done on what PA's bring to the table, etc.

The Canadian Association of PA's has a few folks that all they do is make sure people know about us so we can work...they also asked the Conference Board of Canada to do independent research and reports regarding current PA employment, what they bring to the table in terms of ability, training, etc,, how to better deploy them, funding models, etc, that we use for travelling roadshows to increase national and provincial visibility.  I say travelling roadshows because there are some provinces where PA's aren't employed outside the military (my home province being one), where our National Public Affairs folks and working PA's go to talk to and schmooze with the politicians to make inroads where needed.

If stuff isn't being done by people that you're paying to make it get done, you need to get rid of them or at least hold them publically accountable at state and national levels when AGM's and conferences happen - in order to do that, you need to get involved.

$0.02 Cdn

SK

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cideous said:

IT IS OUR NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

JESH.

That's one piece of the puzzle. Just cause we get a name change does not mean we do not have to represent ourselves at the local and state levels. We have to be better at advocating for our profession and not sitting back.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live near DC, & will be here for 6 more years, minimum. Is anyone else close by? 

I live in-county w/ a PA program that includes a Masters in Public Health along with the PA cert, so we're all going to be well-equipped to advocate for the profession. 

My Congressman, Anthony Brown, is called the "Hero of Public Health." (He helped me appeal an insurance problem all the way to the Office Of Personnel Management.) I'm sure he'd love to do something about the issues PA's face. 

What do you want to accomplish? Let's do it. 

(Sincerely, a Pre-PA w/a lot of writing experience, & lot of PCE to accumulate, who would love to help in any way possible.) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Why don't we? Cause people do not join their state chapters and/or just email about issues to their local/state rep. Very easy, an email is free so why not do it...?

I would, except my state chapter charges far more than I am comfortable paying...thrown in the AAPA (which I refuse to pay for, considering they don't seem to offer a whole lot besides inaccurate salary reports) and NCCPA dues, and were talking about far more than we should be paying....I don't know, maybe I'm cheap...but I guess I'd pay up if it really meant results, eh

  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, quietmedic said:

I would, except my state chapter charges far more than I am comfortable paying...thrown in the AAPA (which I refuse to pay for, considering they don't seem to offer a whole lot besides inaccurate salary reports) and NCCPA dues, and were talking about far more than we should be paying....I don't know, maybe I'm cheap...but I guess I'd pay up if it really meant results, eh

I understand, but how do you get results without money and lobbying power? You cannot except your car to run well if you don't take care of it (put money into it)...You cannot expect change without $$$. My state dues are $125/year which my employer pays for as well as NCCPA/AAPA/DEA (I work for a RHC clinic, private practice). You do what you want to with your money, but if we do not put some money to help each other then this profession will be more behind the times that ever. If you do not want to give money then would you be willing to email your representatives (local/state) on laws/issues within your state? You can go to your state chapter website and see what they are fighting for this year. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

I live near DC, & will be here for 6 more years, minimum. Is anyone else close by? 

I live in-county w/ a PA program that includes a Masters in Public Health along with the PA cert, so we're all going to be well-equipped to advocate for the profession. 

My Congressman, Anthony Brown, is called the "Hero of Public Health." (He helped me appeal an insurance problem all the way to the Office Of Personnel Management.) I'm sure he'd love to do something about the issues PA's face. 

What do you want to accomplish? Let's do it. 

(Sincerely, a Pre-PA w/a lot of writing experience, & lot of PCE to accumulate, who would love to help in any way possible.) 

OTP would be a the top of my list. I think this is more important than changing our name (that would be my 2nd)! :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I emailed my state rep to support a PA Bill yesterday and got a response back this morning.  Was pretty simple and took 2 minutes.  

I know many of us lost confidence in AAPA or state chapters, but we all need to give them our membership for change to happen.   None of us should be working without some CME budget and should be little to nothing out of your pocket and at least with AAPA membership you will then get JAAPA CME in return.  So, at minimum that is what you get out of it.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 11:17 PM, Iain1028 said:

Changing the name of our title would be a good first start.........

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:53 AM, camoman1234 said:

Cause people do not join their state chapters

I can't joint my state association unless I become a member of AAPA, which I refuse to do because of their SJW leanings.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boatswain2PA said:

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

I can't joint my state association unless I become a member of AAPA, which I refuse to do because of their SJW leanings.

Never thought of that, we do not have to be AAPA members (I am one) to join my state chapter. That is a stupid rule, but to each their own. I agree with you 100% about the AAPA. I would not be a member if my employer didn't pay for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 0:48 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

I can't joint my state association unless I become a member of AAPA, which I refuse to do because of their SJW leanings.

I'm married to a former math professor.  In a University you had several different levels of people who could teach an under-grad class. (You guys know all this, but I'm making a point.) 


-graduate student (Not yet a PhD, still in school)
-ABD (someone who had completed graduate studies, but not completed dissertation.) 
-Associate professor (entry-level prof) 
-Assistant professor (mid-level prof, but often got confused for an assistant!) 
-Full Professor 
However, the material taught in a class rarely changed--it was the school administration, or the course coordinator, who made final  decisions about what was being taught. 

My point is that every profession has problems w/ naming. (Heck, naming inflation has been a problem in corporate america for a long time--people attach high falutin' names to crappy positions.) Whatever name we choose, the important thing is to educate the public on it, and let them know, "When you go to the urgent care ,ER, or whatever practice, you're still going to be cared  for. Standards of care are set by the hospital, or by law. If we don't know something, we refer you to someone who does." 

And...if you don't want to join one of the very few organizations that's there to advocate for you because you don't like some *other* things they advocate for, that's shooting yourself in the foot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

My point is that every profession has problems w/ naming.

Generally agree, although (until recently) there was no confusion with the term "Doctor" in the medical field.  But why change our name if we just go from one problem to another?

12 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

.if you don't want to join one of the very few organizations that's there to advocate for you because you don't like some *other* things they advocate for, that's shooting yourself in the foot

There are bigger, more important, things than our career.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I thought associate professor ranked higher than assistant professor?

Yeah associate is higher than assistant/adjunct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, camoman1234 said:

Why $10? Is that extra over the AAPA dues? How about state chapters or even better, emailing your local/state reps, that is FREE! :)

but does NOTHING to address national level issues

 

we still can not order DM shoes, can not order VNA and some others... 

AAPA is our spearhead 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 0:48 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

I can't joint my state association unless I become a member of AAPA, which I refuse to do because of their SJW leanings.

boats I normally agree with a lot of what you say

 

but get over it, it is ancient history in the political realm (and he just spent $13,000 on something stupid)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Freakonomics did an episode on midlevel providers.....in which they only talked about nurse practitioners. That's it. Just NPs, no mention of PAs at all in the episode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lostzebra said:

Freakonomics did an episode on midlevel providers.....in which they only talked about nurse practitioners. That's it. Just NPs, no mention of PAs at all in the episode. 

I think the Reddit community did an awesome job of tearing down that episode:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ventana said:

but does NOTHING to address national level issues

 

we still can not order DM shoes, can not order VNA and some others... 

AAPA is our spearhead 

Does not mean you cannot start somewhere. Just cause you might not be able to get to the national level, the state rep have a better pull on that then myself. Just start somewhere doing something for our profession. Better than just sitting our butts and letting the NPs run over us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 9:48 AM, Boatswain2PA said:

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

How about Licensed Independent Practitioner? LIP is used in the  compliance documents at a hospital system I am credentialed at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sed said:

How about Licensed Independent Practitioner? LIP is used in the  compliance documents at a hospital system I am credentialed at.

that just means md/do/pa/np (numerous cases have allowed pas to fit into that category for ordering purposes although we are not truly independent).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

that just means md/do/pa/np (numerous cases have allowed pas to fit into that category for ordering purposes although we are not truly independent).

Yes. But with OTP and independent practice rights, that won't be the case.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NPs are ahead ( and someone else may have stated this) is because of the long history of their base (nursing) profession and the fact that there are 3.5 million practicing nurses today. The NP profession came along at a time when nursing, in general, were coming out with a "I'm not your hand-maiden any longer."  This empowered NPs from the beginning, while the PA profession didn't share that history or base, and therefore were not that responsive to their own rank - n - file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about we quit bitching about our title and put effort into PR and promoting ourselves in a renewed effort?

 

Please excuse me, and this may be whiskey talking, but my upbring always taught me that excuses are like a$$holes- everyone has one.

l say we put our money where our collective mouths are and promote quality over quantity, and find some way to market ourselves outside what has already failed.

Maybe I start something on my own as bellyaching is all I ever see on this forum.

 

Someone has to do it I guess.

Watch for it...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jwells- maybe this is the after-shift paloma talking (that's grapefruit juice and tequila)...I would love to see a major PR campaign from the AAPA. many PAs have been expecting this "any day" for their entire careers. I have been advocating for a PA PR campaign for over 20 years and always hear "we can't afford it, just convince patients one at a time". guess what, it's not working or happening. most Americans still think we are medical assistants. frankly, I'm sick of it. our name sucks. our training is excellent, but no one knows what we do. to get any respect in the modern political climate I think the following needs to happen:

name change. anything that does not include assistant is fine by me

transition to doctoral-level training to compete with DNPs. yes it's degree creep. we need it at this point, just like we needed to go to an MS.

a postgrad year in a specialty. call it an internship, a fellowship, a residency. I don't care. Lateral mobility is dead. let's embrace the physician model: pick a specialty and get top notch training in that specialty then pass a comprehensive specialty board exam. want to switch specialties? do another year of training.

rant over (for now...)

  • Upvote 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 11:17 PM, Iain1028 said:

Changing the name of our title would be a good first start.........

 

"Physician Assistant" is kind of weak.....  Change the name first, have the NCCPA take some money they bilk us for our membership dues and PANRE dues, etc....and buy a National Ad on TV or a bulletin board promoting our profession in several major US cities.  Or a radio ad, or something, jeez.

 

Weak, weak, weak representation.

 

 

 

 

Thread hijack. The AAPA elections are coming up and one of the big questions for each candidate is how they feel about the NCCPA and the possibility of an alternative certifying body. One of the people running for a Director seat was on the NCCPA board for years and has complete total faith that the NCCPA will always do what is best for the profession. The other candidates need to take positions on the matter so everyone knows where they stand and wishy washy non-answers should be called out. There is too much going on right now to have leaders who don't have firm perspectives whether we agree with them or not. I want to know where they stand.... clearly.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

that just means md/do/pa/np (numerous cases have allowed pas to fit into that category for ordering purposes although we are not truly independent).

How about gain independence and change our title to Independently Licensed Practitioner, ILP? :-P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 11:39 PM, rev ronin said:

I thought associate professor ranked higher than assistant professor?

Sorry, I was coming down with the flu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, ventana said:

get over it, it is ancient history in the political realm (and he just spent $13,000 on something stupid)

But has AAPA stopped with the SJW routine?  I don't know.

I was impressed that they stood up to NCCPA and threatened a different certification program (not that that's a good idea, but I think they forced a change.)  But that is the only thing I see that AAPA has done right since....forever!

Regarding the $13K dining room set...Secretary Carson didn't know anything about it until it was done and then hit the papers.  Agree that it was a ridiculous purchase, but I don't think anyone should put the blame on him personally for it.  The purchasing officer is a career bureaucrat (deep state??) who made the purchase without thinking it was a big deal (everyone does it...right??)

If we change our name to some other nebulous sounding name (ILP, LLP, PLL, whatever), we will spend the next 50 years getting people to understand that many of us assist physicians, but some of us practice pretty independently, yet we all have our own license, and we have excellent training...."Yeah, just like a Nurse Practitioner" will still be the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 2:22 AM, jwells78 said:

How about we quit bitching about our title and put effort into PR and promoting ourselves in a renewed effort?

 

Please excuse me, and this may be whiskey talking, but my upbring always taught me that excuses are like a$$holes- everyone has one.

l say we put our money where our collective mouths are and promote quality over quantity, and find some way to market ourselves outside what has already failed.

Maybe I start something on my own as bellyaching is all I ever see on this forum.

 

Someone has to do it I guess.

Watch for it...

 

 A question for you??

How much did you donate to PAC for AAPA and your state chapter last year, and the year before that?

 

Fighting words are great, but back it up with $$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

But has AAPA stopped with the SJW routine?  I don't know.

 

IDK but it is ancient hx in the political realm....

 



I was impressed that they stood up to NCCPA and threatened a different certification program (not that that's a good idea, but I think they forced a change.)  But that is the only thing I see that AAPA has done right since....forever!

 

 

They are better now, still need leadership and pressure to advocate, but they have changed!


Regarding the $13K dining room set...Secretary Carson didn't know anything about it until it was done and then hit the papers.  Agree that it was a ridiculous purchase, but I don't think anyone should put the blame on him personally for it.  The purchasing officer is a career bureaucrat (deep state??) who made the purchase without thinking it was a big deal (everyone does it...right??)

 

I disagree 100% - everything that goes on under the leadership of a boss is their responsibility - look no further then the Doc having responsibility for PA in court....    This was also just one of MANY overspending issues in his office.  We disagree and that is okay, that is the free political system (that hopefully we can keep as long as we keep a free press - which is under attack)

 

 


If we change our name to some other nebulous sounding name (ILP, LLP, PLL, whatever), we will spend the next 50 years getting people to understand that many of us assist physicians, but some of us practice pretty independently, yet we all have our own license, and we have excellent training...."Yeah, just like a Nurse Practitioner" will still be the answer.

.

.We just MUST get rid of ASSISTANT - and become a practitioner!!  

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Thread hijack. The AAPA elections are coming up and one of the big questions for each candidate is how they feel about the NCCPA and the possibility of an alternative certifying body. One of the people running for a Director seat was on the NCCPA board for years and has complete total faith that the NCCPA will always do what is best for the profession. The other candidates need to take positions on the matter so everyone knows where they stand and wishy washy non-answers should be called out. There is too much going on right now to have leaders who don't have firm perspectives whether we agree with them or not. I want to know where they stand.... clearly.

 

please detail whom is whom??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James Cannon was on the NCCPA board for several years and has unlimited faith in them. He was the president of PAFT when I was the president elect and things became so contentious between us over the NCCPA he resigned because we were at such odds he felt like he had to choose a side and he opted for his faith in his colleagues in the NCCPA.

I respect he made a tough call and followed his beliefs and certainly don't hold it against him but I do not want him on the AAPA board for that reason alone.

The others I haven't researched yet. Keep in mind the motion to form a new certifying body was defeated by 1 vote among the AAPA leadership.

Edited by sas5814
spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding a national PR campaign- I'm kinda surprised no one has posted this yet.  This link is to the national PR campaign that the AAPA is rolling out.  The group they are working with put together several video spots- 60 sec, 30 sec and 15 sec spots.  They've posted one of them on the website, and I believe the YouTube channel has the rest.  So yes, it looks like the AAPA is finally listening regarding a national PR campaign

http://www.yourpacan.org/

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ventana said:

I disagree 100% - everything that goes on under the leadership of a boss is their responsibility - look no further then the Doc having responsibility for PA in court....    This was also just one of MANY overspending issues in his office.

Responsible for it?  Yes.  Is it his fault?  No.  The government is HUGE, with tens of thousands of people who buy way too much/too expensive stuff to the detriment of necessary things.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen executives get expensive furniture while I'm screaming for money to buy survival equipment for my crews.  It happens in every little branch of our bloated bureaucratical government.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sas5814 said:

James Cannon was on the NCCPA board for several years and has unlimited faith in them. He was the president of PAFT when I was the president elect and things became so contentious between us over the NCCPA he resigned because we were at such odds he felt like he had to choose a side and he opted for his faith in his colleagues in the NCCPA.

I respect he made a tough call and followed his beliefs and certainly don't hold it against him but I do not want him on the AAPA board for that reason alone.

The others I haven't researched yet. Keep in mind the motion to form a new certifying body was defeated by 1 vote among the AAPA leadership.

Um, you don't resign from a self-perpetuating board if you want to improve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, True Anomaly said:

Regarding a national PR campaign- I'm kinda surprised no one has posted this yet.  This link is to the national PR campaign that the AAPA is rolling out.  The group they are working with put together several video spots- 60 sec, 30 sec and 15 sec spots.  They've posted one of them on the website, and I believe the YouTube channel has the rest.  So yes, it looks like the AAPA is finally listening regarding a national PR campaign

http://www.yourpacan.org/

nice, have not seen that before. would love to see it on the back page of the NY times and USA today....maybe as a pamphlet for handout in hospitals, etc it needs to get sent beyond youtube and the aapa site....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 13, 2018 at 10:54 PM, camoman1234 said:

http://wcyb.com/news/virginia-news/virginia-bill-would-elevate-nurse-practitioner-profession

Every time I turn my head I see the above news article. Not only are NPs full steam ahead, they are in the spotlight 24/7. Even if the law was not signed, the NPs are always getting news attention which makes them look MUCH better than us. We all know about the curriculum, clinical hours, time we spend in our seat at school, etc....known of this matters if we are falling behind the times and not advocating for ourselves. Why is it that PAs are not in the spotlight and passing laws. What is holding us up? Are we just not motivated to move the needle or we just want to ride on the shoulders of the MD/DO? We cannot keep living like this. Even if we ride on the doctors shoulders, we will get stomped out by the NPs in the way of laws and taking our jobs. There are countless places that are in my area that want an NP over a PA. I cannot even get into a PRN minute clinic as they want an NP. You might say to yourself that my state laws are different for PAs and NPs, but they are actually the exact same. So why does that big hospital allow/want NPs in their minute clinic, but refuses to let PAs work their as well? I was told by HR that those jobs were for NPs only, no other comment, they would not even let me apply even after I told them about the state laws being exactly the same. They STILL thought NPs were more independent and needed less oversight, etc....

Please get involved in your state chapters and advance PAs into the next century.

While PA's in general support the idea of ALL APP,  review letter from VANA CRNA April 7, 2017, and you will see successful lobbying against Anesthesia Assistants. The nursing lobby won even with majority of physicians advocaring for AA's. Does anyone actually believe nursing lobbiest will not do same if or when PA's start to progress in OTP in states that APRN's now have strong hold? 

I was fortunate to inadvertently meet one of my state congressmen last week. He had NO idea PA was more than assistant and had been part of a bill for PA's that did not pass. He did however help pass NP legislation and was shocked at the educational differences, (they have lots of lobbying $$$, time and numbers). I basically spelled out graduate and clinical hours required in both.  Took all of 5 min to educate him. 

I plan to be more vocal myself. Complaining,waiting and wondering gets you no where.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James Cannon was on the NCCPA board for several years and has unlimited faith in them. He was the president of PAFT when I was the president elect and things became so contentious between us over the NCCPA he resigned because we were at such odds he felt like he had to choose a side and he opted for his faith in his colleagues in the NCCPA.
I respect he made a tough call and followed his beliefs and certainly don't hold it against him but I do not want him on the AAPA board for that reason alone.
The others I haven't researched yet. Keep in mind the motion to form a new certifying body was defeated by 1 vote among the AAPA leadership.
Dr. Cannon was a higher up at ATSU when I "attended" there. I met him at graduation and I thought he would have been more PA forward... Sad to hear that he stands apart from those of us who want nothing to do with the hegemony of NCCPA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

While PA's in general support the idea of ALL APP,  review letter from VANA CRNA April 7, 2017, and you will see successful lobbying against Anesthesia Assistants. The nursing lobby won even with majority of physicians advocaring for AA's. Does anyone actually believe nursing lobbiest will not do same if or when PA's start to progress in OTP in states that APRN's now have strong hold? 

I was fortunate to inadvertently meet one of my state congressmen last week. He had NO idea PA was more than assistant and had been part of a bill for PA's that did not pass. He did however help pass NP legislation and was shocked at the educational differences, (they have lots of lobbying $$$, time and numbers). I basically spelled out graduate and clinical hours required in both.  Took all of 5 min to educate him. 

I plan to be more vocal myself. Complaining,waiting and wondering gets you no where.

No, I don’t think they will. I’m a prior nurse anesthesia student and have marched on the hill. Without getting into the details, CRNA vs AA is a completely different thing. Trust me. NPs don’t have any argument that couldn’t be turned on themselves and we already exist in every state, as opposed to AAs who mainly are just opposed when they are trying to create licensure in a new state.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now