Where are we going wrong?

On 3/15/2018 at 0:48 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

I can't joint my state association unless I become a member of AAPA, which I refuse to do because of their SJW leanings.

boats I normally agree with a lot of what you say

but get over it, it is ancient history in the political realm (and he just spent $13,000 on something stupid)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ventana said:

but does NOTHING to address national level issues

we still can not order DM shoes, can not order VNA and some others... 

AAPA is our spearhead 

Does not mean you cannot start somewhere. Just cause you might not be able to get to the national level, the state rep have a better pull on that then myself. Just start somewhere doing something for our profession. Better than just sitting our butts and letting the NPs run over us...

On 3/15/2018 at 9:48 AM, Boatswain2PA said:

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

How about Licensed Independent Practitioner? LIP is used in the  compliance documents at a hospital system I am credentialed at.

1 hour ago, Sed said:

How about Licensed Independent Practitioner? LIP is used in the  compliance documents at a hospital system I am credentialed at.

that just means md/do/pa/np (numerous cases have allowed pas to fit into that category for ordering purposes although we are not truly independent).

NPs are ahead ( and someone else may have stated this) is because of the long history of their base (nursing) profession and the fact that there are 3.5 million practicing nurses today. The NP profession came along at a time when nursing, in general, were coming out with a "I'm not your hand-maiden any longer."  This empowered NPs from the beginning, while the PA profession didn't share that history or base, and therefore were not that responsive to their own rank - n - file.

How about we quit bitching about our title and put effort into PR and promoting ourselves in a renewed effort?

Please excuse me, and this may be whiskey talking, but my upbring always taught me that excuses are like a$$holes- everyone has one.

l say we put our money where our collective mouths are and promote quality over quantity, and find some way to market ourselves outside what has already failed.

Maybe I start something on my own as bellyaching is all I ever see on this forum.

Someone has to do it I guess.

Watch for it...

Jwells- maybe this is the after-shift paloma talking (that's grapefruit juice and tequila)...I would love to see a major PR campaign from the AAPA. many PAs have been expecting this "any day" for their entire careers. I have been advocating for a PA PR campaign for over 20 years and always hear "we can't afford it, just convince patients one at a time". guess what, it's not working or happening. most Americans still think we are medical assistants. frankly, I'm sick of it. our name sucks. our training is excellent, but no one knows what we do. to get any respect in the modern political climate I think the following needs to happen:

name change. anything that does not include assistant is fine by me

transition to doctoral-level training to compete with DNPs. yes it's degree creep. we need it at this point, just like we needed to go to an MS.

a postgrad year in a specialty. call it an internship, a fellowship, a residency. I don't care. Lateral mobility is dead. let's embrace the physician model: pick a specialty and get top notch training in that specialty then pass a comprehensive specialty board exam. want to switch specialties? do another year of training.

rant over (for now...)

On 3/13/2018 at 11:17 PM, Iain1028 said:

Changing the name of our title would be a good first start.........

"Physician Assistant" is kind of weak.....  Change the name first, have the NCCPA take some money they bilk us for our membership dues and PANRE dues, etc....and buy a National Ad on TV or a bulletin board promoting our profession in several major US cities.  Or a radio ad, or something, jeez.

Weak, weak, weak representation.

Thread hijack. The AAPA elections are coming up and one of the big questions for each candidate is how they feel about the NCCPA and the possibility of an alternative certifying body. One of the people running for a Director seat was on the NCCPA board for years and has complete total faith that the NCCPA will always do what is best for the profession. The other candidates need to take positions on the matter so everyone knows where they stand and wishy washy non-answers should be called out. There is too much going on right now to have leaders who don't have firm perspectives whether we agree with them or not. I want to know where they stand.... clearly.

18 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

that just means md/do/pa/np (numerous cases have allowed pas to fit into that category for ordering purposes although we are not truly independent).

How about gain independence and change our title to Independently Licensed Practitioner, ILP? :-P 

On 3/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, ventana said:

get over it, it is ancient history in the political realm (and he just spent $13,000 on something stupid)

But has AAPA stopped with the SJW routine?  I don't know.

I was impressed that they stood up to NCCPA and threatened a different certification program (not that that's a good idea, but I think they forced a change.)  But that is the only thing I see that AAPA has done right since....forever!

Regarding the $13K dining room set...Secretary Carson didn't know anything about it until it was done and then hit the papers.  Agree that it was a ridiculous purchase, but I don't think anyone should put the blame on him personally for it.  The purchasing officer is a career bureaucrat (deep state??) who made the purchase without thinking it was a big deal (everyone does it...right??)

If we change our name to some other nebulous sounding name (ILP, LLP, PLL, whatever), we will spend the next 50 years getting people to understand that many of us assist physicians, but some of us practice pretty independently, yet we all have our own license, and we have excellent training...."Yeah, just like a Nurse Practitioner" will still be the answer.

On 3/18/2018 at 2:22 AM, jwells78 said:

How about we quit bitching about our title and put effort into PR and promoting ourselves in a renewed effort?

Please excuse me, and this may be whiskey talking, but my upbring always taught me that excuses are like a$$holes- everyone has one.

l say we put our money where our collective mouths are and promote quality over quantity, and find some way to market ourselves outside what has already failed.

Maybe I start something on my own as bellyaching is all I ever see on this forum.

Someone has to do it I guess.

Watch for it...

A question for you??

How much did you donate to PAC for AAPA and your state chapter last year, and the year before that?

Fighting words are great, but back it up with $$$

8 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

But has AAPA stopped with the SJW routine?  I don't know.

IDK but it is ancient hx in the political realm....

I was impressed that they stood up to NCCPA and threatened a different certification program (not that that's a good idea, but I think they forced a change.)  But that is the only thing I see that AAPA has done right since....forever!

They are better now, still need leadership and pressure to advocate, but they have changed!

Regarding the $13K dining room set...Secretary Carson didn't know anything about it until it was done and then hit the papers.  Agree that it was a ridiculous purchase, but I don't think anyone should put the blame on him personally for it.  The purchasing officer is a career bureaucrat (deep state??) who made the purchase without thinking it was a big deal (everyone does it...right??)

I disagree 100% - everything that goes on under the leadership of a boss is their responsibility - look no further then the Doc having responsibility for PA in court....    This was also just one of MANY overspending issues in his office.  We disagree and that is okay, that is the free political system (that hopefully we can keep as long as we keep a free press - which is under attack)

If we change our name to some other nebulous sounding name (ILP, LLP, PLL, whatever), we will spend the next 50 years getting people to understand that many of us assist physicians, but some of us practice pretty independently, yet we all have our own license, and we have excellent training...."Yeah, just like a Nurse Practitioner" will still be the answer.

.We just MUST get rid of ASSISTANT - and become a practitioner!!  

17 hours ago, sas5814 said:

Thread hijack. The AAPA elections are coming up and one of the big questions for each candidate is how they feel about the NCCPA and the possibility of an alternative certifying body. One of the people running for a Director seat was on the NCCPA board for years and has complete total faith that the NCCPA will always do what is best for the profession. The other candidates need to take positions on the matter so everyone knows where they stand and wishy washy non-answers should be called out. There is too much going on right now to have leaders who don't have firm perspectives whether we agree with them or not. I want to know where they stand.... clearly.

please detail whom is whom??

James Cannon was on the NCCPA board for several years and has unlimited faith in them. He was the president of PAFT when I was the president elect and things became so contentious between us over the NCCPA he resigned because we were at such odds he felt like he had to choose a side and he opted for his faith in his colleagues in the NCCPA.

I respect he made a tough call and followed his beliefs and certainly don't hold it against him but I do not want him on the AAPA board for that reason alone.

The others I haven't researched yet. Keep in mind the motion to form a new certifying body was defeated by 1 vote among the AAPA leadership.

Regarding a national PR campaign- I'm kinda surprised no one has posted this yet.  This link is to the national PR campaign that the AAPA is rolling out.  The group they are working with put together several video spots- 60 sec, 30 sec and 15 sec spots.  They've posted one of them on the website, and I believe the YouTube channel has the rest.  So yes, it looks like the AAPA is finally listening regarding a national PR campaign

http://www.yourpacan.org/

16 hours ago, ventana said:

I disagree 100% - everything that goes on under the leadership of a boss is their responsibility - look no further then the Doc having responsibility for PA in court....    This was also just one of MANY overspending issues in his office.

Responsible for it?  Yes.  Is it his fault?  No.  The government is HUGE, with tens of thousands of people who buy way too much/too expensive stuff to the detriment of necessary things.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen executives get expensive furniture while I'm screaming for money to buy survival equipment for my crews.  It happens in every little branch of our bloated bureaucratical government.  

• Administrator
12 hours ago, sas5814 said:

James Cannon was on the NCCPA board for several years and has unlimited faith in them. He was the president of PAFT when I was the president elect and things became so contentious between us over the NCCPA he resigned because we were at such odds he felt like he had to choose a side and he opted for his faith in his colleagues in the NCCPA.

I respect he made a tough call and followed his beliefs and certainly don't hold it against him but I do not want him on the AAPA board for that reason alone.

The others I haven't researched yet. Keep in mind the motion to form a new certifying body was defeated by 1 vote among the AAPA leadership.

Um, you don't resign from a self-perpetuating board if you want to improve it.

14 hours ago, True Anomaly said:

Regarding a national PR campaign- I'm kinda surprised no one has posted this yet.  This link is to the national PR campaign that the AAPA is rolling out.  The group they are working with put together several video spots- 60 sec, 30 sec and 15 sec spots.  They've posted one of them on the website, and I believe the YouTube channel has the rest.  So yes, it looks like the AAPA is finally listening regarding a national PR campaign

http://www.yourpacan.org/

nice, have not seen that before. would love to see it on the back page of the NY times and USA today....maybe as a pamphlet for handout in hospitals, etc it needs to get sent beyond youtube and the aapa site....

On March 13, 2018 at 10:54 PM, camoman1234 said:

http://wcyb.com/news/virginia-news/virginia-bill-would-elevate-nurse-practitioner-profession

Every time I turn my head I see the above news article. Not only are NPs full steam ahead, they are in the spotlight 24/7. Even if the law was not signed, the NPs are always getting news attention which makes them look MUCH better than us. We all know about the curriculum, clinical hours, time we spend in our seat at school, etc....known of this matters if we are falling behind the times and not advocating for ourselves. Why is it that PAs are not in the spotlight and passing laws. What is holding us up? Are we just not motivated to move the needle or we just want to ride on the shoulders of the MD/DO? We cannot keep living like this. Even if we ride on the doctors shoulders, we will get stomped out by the NPs in the way of laws and taking our jobs. There are countless places that are in my area that want an NP over a PA. I cannot even get into a PRN minute clinic as they want an NP. You might say to yourself that my state laws are different for PAs and NPs, but they are actually the exact same. So why does that big hospital allow/want NPs in their minute clinic, but refuses to let PAs work their as well? I was told by HR that those jobs were for NPs only, no other comment, they would not even let me apply even after I told them about the state laws being exactly the same. They STILL thought NPs were more independent and needed less oversight, etc....

Please get involved in your state chapters and advance PAs into the next century.

While PA's in general support the idea of ALL APP,  review letter from VANA CRNA April 7, 2017, and you will see successful lobbying against Anesthesia Assistants. The nursing lobby won even with majority of physicians advocaring for AA's. Does anyone actually believe nursing lobbiest will not do same if or when PA's start to progress in OTP in states that APRN's now have strong hold? 

I was fortunate to inadvertently meet one of my state congressmen last week. He had NO idea PA was more than assistant and had been part of a bill for PA's that did not pass. He did however help pass NP legislation and was shocked at the educational differences, (they have lots of lobbying $$$, time and numbers). I basically spelled out graduate and clinical hours required in both.  Took all of 5 min to educate him. 

I plan to be more vocal myself. Complaining,waiting and wondering gets you no where.

Dr. Cannon was a higher up at ATSU when I "attended" there. I met him at graduation and I thought he would have been more PA forward... Sad to hear that he stands apart from those of us who want nothing to do with the hegemony of NCCPA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Hope2PA said:

While PA's in general support the idea of ALL APP,  review letter from VANA CRNA April 7, 2017, and you will see successful lobbying against Anesthesia Assistants. The nursing lobby won even with majority of physicians advocaring for AA's. Does anyone actually believe nursing lobbiest will not do same if or when PA's start to progress in OTP in states that APRN's now have strong hold? 

I was fortunate to inadvertently meet one of my state congressmen last week. He had NO idea PA was more than assistant and had been part of a bill for PA's that did not pass. He did however help pass NP legislation and was shocked at the educational differences, (they have lots of lobbying $$$, time and numbers). I basically spelled out graduate and clinical hours required in both.  Took all of 5 min to educate him. 

I plan to be more vocal myself. Complaining,waiting and wondering gets you no where.

No, I don’t think they will. I’m a prior nurse anesthesia student and have marched on the hill. Without getting into the details, CRNA vs AA is a completely different thing. Trust me. NPs don’t have any argument that couldn’t be turned on themselves and we already exist in every state, as opposed to AAs who mainly are just opposed when they are trying to create licensure in a new state.

Archived