Where are we going wrong?

http://wcyb.com/news/virginia-news/virginia-bill-would-elevate-nurse-practitioner-profession

Every time I turn my head I see the above news article. Not only are NPs full steam ahead, they are in the spotlight 24/7. Even if the law was not signed, the NPs are always getting news attention which makes them look MUCH better than us. We all know about the curriculum, clinical hours, time we spend in our seat at school, etc....known of this matters if we are falling behind the times and not advocating for ourselves. Why is it that PAs are not in the spotlight and passing laws. What is holding us up? Are we just not motivated to move the needle or we just want to ride on the shoulders of the MD/DO? We cannot keep living like this. Even if we ride on the doctors shoulders, we will get stomped out by the NPs in the way of laws and taking our jobs. There are countless places that are in my area that want an NP over a PA. I cannot even get into a PRN minute clinic as they want an NP. You might say to yourself that my state laws are different for PAs and NPs, but they are actually the exact same. So why does that big hospital allow/want NPs in their minute clinic, but refuses to let PAs work their as well? I was told by HR that those jobs were for NPs only, no other comment, they would not even let me apply even after I told them about the state laws being exactly the same. They STILL thought NPs were more independent and needed less oversight, etc....

Please get involved in your state chapters and advance PAs into the next century.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changing the name of our title would be a good first start.........

"Physician Assistant" is kind of weak.....  Change the name first, have the NCCPA take some money they bilk us for our membership dues and PANRE dues, etc....and buy a National Ad on TV or a bulletin board promoting our profession in several major US cities.  Or a radio ad, or something, jeez.

Weak, weak, weak representation.

My wife started watching a new drama on Fox called "The Resident" and thought I would like it because the main guy is an ex corpsman. I started watching it and it is not bad but besides getting some medical info wrong (what med drama doesn't), they get some military stuff wrong like one if the main characters states his brother was on the Army but they show a picture with him and he's in Navy dress whites also the "corpsman" mentions enlisting on the marines to become a corpsman. Corpsman are navy though we work with the marines... Sigh but that's nit what pissed me off. They had an episode where the intern was asked to do scut and he asks the 3rd year "can't you get one of the Physician's Assistants to do that?" then they show this RN (played by Peggy Carter's niece in Cap'n America movies) who in the show functions as a floor nurse but calls herself a NP and manages to be the hero against the evil docs in the show. When one of the residents asked another why she is not a doctor since she is soooo good, the other answers "She is getting her doctor of nursing" like it's equivalent uggh... They also wear their stethoscopes wrong on all the episodes....

So they mention PA's once but manage to put in all the offenses we hate about the misperception of our profession in one short sentence: "can't you get one of the Physician's Assistants to do it?"

Yes we need more proper publicity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

http://wcyb.com/news/virginia-news/virginia-bill-would-elevate-nurse-practitioner-profession
Every time I turn my head I see the above new article. Not only are NPs full steam ahead, they are in the spotlight 24/7. Even if the law was not signed, the NPs are always getting news attention which makes them look MUCH better than us. We all know about the curriculum, clinical hours, time we spend in our seat at school, etc....known of this matters if we are falling behind the times and not advocating for ourselves. Why is it that PAs are not in the spotlight and passing laws. What is holding us up? Are we just not motivated to move the needle or we just want to ride on the shoulders of the MD/DO? We cannot keep living like this. Even if we ride on the doctors shoulders, we will get stomped out by the NPs in the way of laws and taking our jobs. There are countless places that are in my area that want an NP over a PA. I cannot even get into a PRN minute clinic as they want an NP. You might say to yourself that my state laws are different for PAs and NPs, but they are actually the exact same. So why does that big hospital allow/want NPs in their minute clinic, but refuses to let PAs work their as well? I was told by HR that those jobs were for NPs only, no other comment, they would not even let me apply even after I told them about the state laws being exactly the same. They STILL thought NPs were more independent and needed less oversight, etc....
Please get involved in your state chapters and advance PAs into the next century.
You're only getting this NOW? [emoji50]

10 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

You're only getting this NOW? emoji50.png

Haha! No, just at my breaking point with why PAs in general do NOT do anything to move their profession forward. Just getting tired of PAs crying about FNPs, but they cannot simply send a letter to their state representative and get involved with their state chapter (going to meetings and pay the tiny little due of a couple hundred dollars/yr). In my state only about 10% of PAs are paying for their state chapter dues. Blows my mind that PAs do not want to give up a few hours a month and a few bucks to help their profession. Makes me want to go back to NP school.

2 hours ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

NPs in and of themselves are not a PR machine.  It is their base profession that is lifting them up; that being the nursing profession and their active lobbies.  We don't have that core base that they do.  It's as simple as that.

Why don't we? Cause people do not join their state chapters and/or just email about issues to their local/state rep. Very easy, an email is free so why not do it...?

this is driven by $$

nursing unions are HUGE 

PA unions/agency not so much (getting bigger)

If everyone gave $10 to AAPA PAC it would be $1m they would have - that is not much for national advocacy

It takes US giving some $$ to they can advocate for us...

7 minutes ago, ventana said:

this is driven by $$

nursing unions are HUGE 

PA unions/agency not so much (getting bigger)

If everyone gave $10 to AAPA PAC it would be $1m they would have - that is not much for national advocacy

It takes US giving some $$ to they can advocate for us...

Why $10? Is that extra over the AAPA dues? How about state chapters or even better, emailing your local/state reps, that is FREE! :)

You need full time public affairs people working at the state and national levels for you, plain an simple, not people that do it as a side gig.  I'm willing to bet that AAPA's Public Affairs person is a PA-C with a real PA-C job besides the PAO job...they should spend some of your hard earned dues on hiring people to do nothing but put y'all in the spotlight and get independent research done on what PA's bring to the table, etc.

The Canadian Association of PA's has a few folks that all they do is make sure people know about us so we can work...they also asked the Conference Board of Canada to do independent research and reports regarding current PA employment, what they bring to the table in terms of ability, training, etc,, how to better deploy them, funding models, etc, that we use for travelling roadshows to increase national and provincial visibility.  I say travelling roadshows because there are some provinces where PA's aren't employed outside the military (my home province being one), where our National Public Affairs folks and working PA's go to talk to and schmooze with the politicians to make inroads where needed.

If stuff isn't being done by people that you're paying to make it get done, you need to get rid of them or at least hold them publically accountable at state and national levels when AGM's and conferences happen - in order to do that, you need to get involved.

$0.02 Cdn

SK

8 minutes ago, Cideous said:

IT IS OUR NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JESH.

That's one piece of the puzzle. Just cause we get a name change does not mean we do not have to represent ourselves at the local and state levels. We have to be better at advocating for our profession and not sitting back.   

I live near DC, & will be here for 6 more years, minimum. Is anyone else close by? 

I live in-county w/ a PA program that includes a Masters in Public Health along with the PA cert, so we're all going to be well-equipped to advocate for the profession. 

My Congressman, Anthony Brown, is called the "Hero of Public Health." (He helped me appeal an insurance problem all the way to the Office Of Personnel Management.) I'm sure he'd love to do something about the issues PA's face. 

What do you want to accomplish? Let's do it. 

(Sincerely, a Pre-PA w/a lot of writing experience, & lot of PCE to accumulate, who would love to help in any way possible.) 

14 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Why don't we? Cause people do not join their state chapters and/or just email about issues to their local/state rep. Very easy, an email is free so why not do it...?

I would, except my state chapter charges far more than I am comfortable paying...thrown in the AAPA (which I refuse to pay for, considering they don't seem to offer a whole lot besides inaccurate salary reports) and NCCPA dues, and were talking about far more than we should be paying....I don't know, maybe I'm cheap...but I guess I'd pay up if it really meant results, eh

9 hours ago, quietmedic said:

I would, except my state chapter charges far more than I am comfortable paying...thrown in the AAPA (which I refuse to pay for, considering they don't seem to offer a whole lot besides inaccurate salary reports) and NCCPA dues, and were talking about far more than we should be paying....I don't know, maybe I'm cheap...but I guess I'd pay up if it really meant results, eh

I understand, but how do you get results without money and lobbying power? You cannot except your car to run well if you don't take care of it (put money into it)...You cannot expect change without $$$. My state dues are $125/year which my employer pays for as well as NCCPA/AAPA/DEA (I work for a RHC clinic, private practice). You do what you want to with your money, but if we do not put some money to help each other then this profession will be more behind the times that ever. If you do not want to give money then would you be willing to email your representatives (local/state) on laws/issues within your state? You can go to your state chapter website and see what they are fighting for this year. 

9 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

I live near DC, & will be here for 6 more years, minimum. Is anyone else close by? 

I live in-county w/ a PA program that includes a Masters in Public Health along with the PA cert, so we're all going to be well-equipped to advocate for the profession. 

My Congressman, Anthony Brown, is called the "Hero of Public Health." (He helped me appeal an insurance problem all the way to the Office Of Personnel Management.) I'm sure he'd love to do something about the issues PA's face. 

What do you want to accomplish? Let's do it. 

(Sincerely, a Pre-PA w/a lot of writing experience, & lot of PCE to accumulate, who would love to help in any way possible.) 

OTP would be a the top of my list. I think this is more important than changing our name (that would be my 2nd)! :)

I emailed my state rep to support a PA Bill yesterday and got a response back this morning.  Was pretty simple and took 2 minutes.  

I know many of us lost confidence in AAPA or state chapters, but we all need to give them our membership for change to happen.   None of us should be working without some CME budget and should be little to nothing out of your pocket and at least with AAPA membership you will then get JAAPA CME in return.  So, at minimum that is what you get out of it.  

On 3/13/2018 at 11:17 PM, Iain1028 said:

Changing the name of our title would be a good first start.........

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:53 AM, camoman1234 said:

Cause people do not join their state chapters

I can't joint my state association unless I become a member of AAPA, which I refuse to do because of their SJW leanings.

1 hour ago, Boatswain2PA said:

As soon as we come up with a good name to change it to then I'll get on board.  Every alternative name I have heard of have their own issues with confusion.

I can't joint my state association unless I become a member of AAPA, which I refuse to do because of their SJW leanings.

Never thought of that, we do not have to be AAPA members (I am one) to join my state chapter. That is a stupid rule, but to each their own. I agree with you 100% about the AAPA. I would not be a member if my employer didn't pay for it. 

On 3/15/2018 at 0:48 PM, Boatswain2PA said:

I'm married to a former math professor.  In a University you had several different levels of people who could teach an under-grad class. (You guys know all this, but I'm making a point.) 

-graduate student (Not yet a PhD, still in school)
-ABD (someone who had completed graduate studies, but not completed dissertation.) 
-Associate professor (entry-level prof) 
-Assistant professor (mid-level prof, but often got confused for an assistant!) 
-Full Professor 
However, the material taught in a class rarely changed--it was the school administration, or the course coordinator, who made final  decisions about what was being taught. 

My point is that every profession has problems w/ naming. (Heck, naming inflation has been a problem in corporate america for a long time--people attach high falutin' names to crappy positions.) Whatever name we choose, the important thing is to educate the public on it, and let them know, "When you go to the urgent care ,ER, or whatever practice, you're still going to be cared  for. Standards of care are set by the hospital, or by law. If we don't know something, we refer you to someone who does." 

And...if you don't want to join one of the very few organizations that's there to advocate for you because you don't like some *other* things they advocate for, that's shooting yourself in the foot. 

12 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

My point is that every profession has problems w/ naming.

Generally agree, although (until recently) there was no confusion with the term "Doctor" in the medical field.  But why change our name if we just go from one problem to another?

12 hours ago, TrekkieByDay said:

.if you don't want to join one of the very few organizations that's there to advocate for you because you don't like some *other* things they advocate for, that's shooting yourself in the foot

There are bigger, more important, things than our career.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:49 AM, camoman1234 said:

Why $10? Is that extra over the AAPA dues? How about state chapters or even better, emailing your local/state reps, that is FREE! :)

but does NOTHING to address national level issues

we still can not order DM shoes, can not order VNA and some others... 

AAPA is our spearhead 

Archived