Reapplicant - Can I Get Accepted?

Hello all!

I’ve been steadily reading posts here for years but I’m looking for some honest advice and who better to ask? I’m going to be a reapplicant this cycle. I applied to only 4 programs last cycle very very late, I was verified September 13 and my last letter came in a few days after that. It was my own fault, I wasn’t in the game and honestly I shouldn’t have, but I’ve regrouped life and now I’m ready to apply in May and hopefully up my chances of an interview.

These are my stats, and I’ve not taken the GRE and will be focusing on programs that don’t require it. 

College: Virginia Tech with two bachelor’s in Biological Sciences and Criminology

cGPA: 3.43 - I went from a so so freshman year with a single W, crashed first semester sophomore year with a 1.88 GPA (family trouble) but from there had a very strong upward trend making deans list junior and senior year and got all A’s my last two semesters

sGPA: 3.32

Patient Care: 4,500+ hours direct patient care as an EMT, both paid and volunteer for 5 years (also have a few awards from the organization, including Volunteer of the Year and EMT of the Year)

Extracurricular: Member of two honor societies for GPA, brother of Alpha Chi Sigma (professional chemistry fraternity. I was elected Master of Ceremonies in 2016 and appointed Historian in 2015, counting as leadership experience). Also ran and organized a few bone marrow registry drives through DKMS. Pre-PA club member and also on the equestrian team for two years.

Shadowing: none YET, but finally got into contact with someone willing to offer it. I hope to get at least 60 hours once I start, hopefully next week.

LOR: One from a biology professor/my academic advisor. One from the head paramedic at my volunteer agency of 5+ years. And hoping to get one from the PA I shadow, if not I have a letter from an MD.

Currently taking a few classes to up my GPA even though some programs won’t count it. The gpa listed is what my GPA will be when those grades post mid-May. I plan to submit my CASPA as soon as I finish finals so these can be considered in my GPA for CASPA.

I just need to take intro psychology and have a C- in Organic Chemistry I plan on retaking this summer but won’t wait to submit for those grades becuase two classes won’t raise my GPA substantially. They’ll both be complete mid-July. If all goes well my application should be verified by mid-May.

I have 23 programs marked that fit my prereqs and allow two outstanding if they require the two I have to take. What are your thoughts on my shot at an interview and how many programs should I apply to?

Also any tips for weeding down my list? I emailed all the programs and many said their average GPA is a 3.5 or 3.6. Should I not apply to these programs, or do they still take lower applicants into consideration? I did have a few email me sailing my GPA was what they want to see so I’m just not sure. Thank you so much!!

I wouldn't drop a school if you're just below their average GPA. The two schools I was accepted at have an average sGPA and cGPA of 3.6, and I have a 3.1 and 3.3 respectively. Anything's possible, so don't sell yourself short!

I'd try narrowing down by ideal location (easier to network where you rotate), mission statement, teaching style, length, average PANCE pass rate, retention, amenities provided, and other things that may be important to you.

The important things besides the GPA average is the GPA range.  With 3.2 GPA this is something I looked for, if stated on the program's website.  Some schools stated a range of 3.01- 4.0  

Next, a 3.5 or 3.6 isn't bad it sounds like there's someone in there with your kind of GPA.  Now if the school had an average of 3.7-3.8 then that means but perhaps there may be one person in there with a 3.4 or even lower.  It's tough to know without knowing exactly their range.  

If you can get some shadowing time with the PA, get a letter of rec from the PA, apply earlier, and of course apply to more schools I think you'll be okay.

Archived