PAstudent4

AF Civilian PA Spouse Question

Hi All!

I am a first year PA student currently and my SO is an AF pilot. Does anyone have any experience with how the job search will go for me as a civilian PA? I understand that I can work on base with my state license but are the jobs available? I have heard varying stories about the availability of civilian PA jobs on base. I appreciate any help, thanks!

Did you ever find anything out about this? How are you doing? 

Husband is navy, I’m a new grad PA, we’re about to PCS to Mississippi and it seems to me that PA jobs on base aren’t as readily available as everyone likes to think they are. 

I have a family member who is a surgeon on a naval base and he couldn’t even get me a job with his connections. 

Let me know if you need someone to commiserate with! Good luck!

Veteran spouses get hiring preference with GS/federal employment. I only know this because I just went through TRS (military separation class). Check out usajobs.com or talk to a veterans benefits advisor on base. They can steer you in the right direction.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Spacey22
      Hey guys!
      My husband is in the Navy and he JUST got orders to Mississippi for March 2020. I also JUST got a new job where we are located at right now. I’m also a new grad PA, so I plan on doing the long distance thing for several months (ugh) so that I can say that I’ve got a year of experience on my resume. 
      Can anyone tell me what the job market is like in Mississippi (specifically Gulfport/Biloxi)? 
      Is the job market better in Alabama? Should I focus on getting my license there instead, or Mississippi? It’s an hour drive to Mobile.
      What’s the licensing process like for Mississippi? I heard the medical board has to interview you. What is that like?

thank you!
    • By melissanauss
      Hi Everyone!
      I am a military spouse currently residing in the DC area and moving to New Orleans this week. I have been accepted to UNO's Post-Bacc program to complete science pre-reqs necessary to apply to LSU's Physician Assistant Program. As a military family, we move every 2-4 years and I am wondering how difficult it can be to gain licenses in multiple states. Also, can you hold licenses in multiple states at one time or must you suspend one state's license before obtaining another. I appreciate all of your feedback.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More