How to quit a position immediately?

So this is a follow up to my previous post "is my new grad  job a recipe for disaster" where everyone made it clear as day that I should run from the urgent care

as of right now, I am training with the head PA with me on every shift and he sees every patient with me thats more than just a rapid strep/ear infection and making a small training salary.

after a few phone calls with the COO of the place, ive learned what the real description of "our agreed upon terms" were

they told me that training would be until I am certified and then it would bump to full salary pay.. however now the COO is telling me the full salary pay would only come in once id be able to solo see 75 patients/day,  she is saying she mentioned that patient amount from the start. (I am pretty sure if I heard that number of patients I would have ran from the start... I dont recall hearing a specific number. they just said they were "busy")

She is eager to get me to start solo as soon as I am ready, however I have told her as a new grad I wont feel comfortable in even 3-4 months to see 75 patients a day and she keeps mentioning how there is no liability because im covered under malpractice... I do not buy this one bit.

she mentioned over the phone how "the head pa has already put a lot of time into me" and keeps enticing me that the pay would keep going up even after 65/hr

I don't like the sound of any of this and was wondering what the best way to get out would be?

I never signed a contract

Thanks

Hey man, sorry to hear about the job situation.  If it’s any help, I go to school in the city and know a couple places are hiring.  Lincoln ED is looking for PAs, not very good pay but high acuity.  NYP Cornell is also hiring.  They’re building a new building which should definitely have new jobs opening up.  I rotated through ophtho there and know for a fact they’re looking for a couple PAs to do full time ophtho surgeries which is pretty sick.    I think NYP queens is also usually looking for PAs.  

Again...run. These people are a money mill and nothing else. No liability? Are you familiar with the National Practitioner Databank? Guess whose name goes into it if you are sued....yours. Guess who has a license to protect? You. Guess who is at the mercy of their insurance company if they want to settle a case and you don't. You. No liability my aching butt. THAT could follow you the rest of your career way more than quitting a job that wasn't a good fit.

Not only is this pace unacceptable under any terms and with any reimbursement they are so FOS it is staggering. Time invested in you? With what they are currently paying you they have made money hand over fist on your work already. they are trying to guilt you. Don't buy into it.

Run.....

Disclaimer: this is only my opinion

Urgent care is NOT a place for a new grad unless possibly a savant, it is best to have some ER, fp, surg, internal med, ped experience beforehand perhaps all those. Many places expect UC PAs to hit the floor running. You are liable for all patients that you see even if you are training. If you realize that this is not the right time or position for you than you should exit immediately. You are only putting yourself and the employer at risk for malpractice. You can leave the same way they could fire you, with minimal notice. It does not have to be a negative, one lives one learns.

Best of luck

RUN!!!! You do not want to risk your ENTIRE career (and house, etc. if your named and lose a suit) over these people. Just live and learn over this experience. We are here for you, generally most of the comments/advise on this forum is here to HELP each other. WE are brothers and sisters, so please do not beat yourself up over this, we all makes mistakes and you will find a good job elsewhere. Good luck!  

Can you help us out by posting some of your demographics?  How old are you, sex, background before PA school, etc?

I'm guessing (and certainly could be wrong) that you are a "direct entry" PA (high school - college - PA program), so you don't realize how much you're getting screwed here.  

Start looking HARD for another job.  YOU   DONT   WANT   THIS   ONE!!!    As soon as you find one, then give a 2 week notice at your current one.  They will likely let you walk immediately.  If it takes you a few weeks/months to find another/good job then simply refuse to see that many patients.   Let me explain how that works:  You see a patient, diagnose/treat that patient, and then chart on that patient, then give good discharge instructions to that patient.  If there are 40 other patients in the waiting room.....I DON'T CARE!  If they decompensate in the waiting room it's not your problem in the UC, the receptionist will call 911.

You are getting screwed now by paying you a reduced "training salary."  They are about to stop using lubricant.

There is so much wrong with this thread it's hard to know where to begin.

Just leave.  If you didn't sign a contract, and you are not seeing pt's solo, wait for a break in days you work and then when off send an email to the big boss explaining that this is not for you, "thank you for the opportunity blah blah blah".  Keep it professional.  

I'm telling you, there is no way you should be seeing more then 30 a day as a new grad.  Personally, I would recommend a good mentoring ER job for a few years.  Learn some stuff with a doc right there to hold you up.  Learn what "sick" really looks like.  I don't think ANYONE should do UC solo until they have put in at least one year in the ER, but that's just me.  It will really help you in the long run.  UC is a money grab for the most part, and the private guys can be as bad or worse then the corporate chains.  Fact is you won't learn anything working solo.  You really need to be with a mentor.  I say that respectfully.

If you can do so financially, just leave. No notice, just type up a letter. F*ck them. How much notice do you think they'd give you?

The way to explain it to future employers is to essentially tell the truth--you worked for a place with unethical clinical expectations and unscrupulous business practices, and you were afraid for your license. You hated to leave the way you did but your back was against a wall. 

You will be fine. If you get named in a suit? Less fine.

In general I would try to avoid UC until you have more experience. You need a mentor. First jobs can eat new PAs alive and most urgent cares are profit-mongering patient mills. They are using your license for profit. At your expense.

On 3/12/2018 at 0:00 PM, LonguylandPA said:

So this is a follow up to my previous post "is my new grad  job a recipe for disaster" where everyone made it clear as day that I should run from the urgent care

as of right now, I am training with the head PA with me on every shift and he sees every patient with me thats more than just a rapid strep/ear infection and making a small training salary.

after a few phone calls with the COO of the place, ive learned what the real description of "our agreed upon terms" were

they told me that training would be until I am certified and then it would bump to full salary pay.. however now the COO is telling me the full salary pay would only come in once id be able to solo see 75 patients/day,  she is saying she mentioned that patient amount from the start. (I am pretty sure if I heard that number of patients I would have ran from the start... I dont recall hearing a specific number. they just said they were "busy")

She is eager to get me to start solo as soon as I am ready, however I have told her as a new grad I wont feel comfortable in even 3-4 months to see 75 patients a day and she keeps mentioning how there is no liability because im covered under malpractice... I do not buy this one bit.

she mentioned over the phone how "the head pa has already put a lot of time into me" and keeps enticing me that the pay would keep going up even after 65/hr

I don't like the sound of any of this and was wondering what the best way to get out would be?

I never signed a contract

Thanks

75 patients a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That's just gross malpractice hiding as money making using your future as a playing card in a game of chance. You are just asking to have your professional reputation scarred and irrevocably tarnished by working under these conditions. I'm a very experienced PA and 35-40 patients in a 10-12 hour UC shift is just about right. I can only perceive your PA mentor as a " Judas Goat" in a lab coat in this circumstance. Good luck  and get the hell out of Dodge!!!

LonguylandPA,

Glad to hear you left that position.  There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there.  It is difficult but not impossible to find a good PA job.  I think the position you were in was not "recoverable."  Your job was unreasonable and dangerous (for you and the patients).  Keep looking and keep your chin up. 

give your 2 weeks notice

in those final two weeks practice the way you know you should

everyone is happy and protected.....

Lets do the math - if they are getting $100 per patient (what my insurance company just paid my UC locally for a fast simple visit)

75 patients - $7500 per day in income - you are getting pennies on the dollar for your license...... nope not me

7 hours ago, narcan said:

Obviously, you're now required to tell us how they took your leaving, what was said, etc. This is one of the wildest things I've read in a while. I'd rather work in a pill mill than be responsible for 75 UC patients in a day.

Text convo: (head pa doesnt like talking on phone for some reason)

"hey do you wanna come tomorrow to train?"

me - im still waiting for the COO to call me regarding my concerns

"The COO will call you within the next few days. shouldn't have any impact on wether you come in or not"

*20 mins later* "do you still want to come in.., id need to know soon. if you dont wish to continue working with us I need to know now so I can train others"

me- "hey I appreciate the time spent with me but I dont see this being a good fit for me due to my concerns"

"These concerns will be anywhere you work. you need to call the COO to set up an exit interview"

me- calls COO for **~exit interview~** without answer. I get text from COO saying shes in meeting and will call back in an hour. she never called back...

I want to make sure I do this professionally and get paid for past 3wks (they messed up my payment for last pay period)  so... not sure what to go from here 

I personally wouldn't do this over text.  I would hand-deliver a brief letter to the head PA, while sending a copy to the COO, giving your two week notice.  They will probably not have you come in for any more training, and that's fine, but that way you gave a 2 week notice.

For future job interviews, remember....you are also interviewing them!  

Good luck.  Scary time for you, but better times are around the corner. 

Agree with Boatswain. Things can get misinterpreted via text, and you don't owe them ongoing communication that can only serve to hinder your goal of leaving there. They'll attempt to persuade you otherwise because you're cheap labor who knows some of the ropes. My recommendation would be to hand deliver a brief letter to the chief PA as discussed above , then email the same note to the chief PA with the COO cc'd on the email for a digital paper trail for yourself. Kudos for taking the advice on the forum and running from that gig. Once you've found a decent job, you'll be glad you did.

Archived