Applying Fall 2018 -- Need Advice

Hi all, 

I am looking to apply to PA school this cycle.  I have attached my stats and my two upcoming semesters. My first question is 1) how many PA programs would be safe to apply to and, 2) what would make me a more competitive candidate?

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.4 (bachelors in psychology, masters in sped.), sGPA: 3.6, GRE: 292, PCE: 1400 (completing more now), shadowing: 500, volunteer: 240, letters from 2 MDs and professor

Summer semester: A&P, Chem, Bio

Fall: Genetics, Neuroanatomy, Medical term, microbiology 

Guest HanSolo

1) Too subjective to give a solid number. I'd recommend 7-10, but you should really only apply to programs that you actually want to go to. 

2) I'd consider waiting to apply until 2019 after taking those courses in the Fall. You'll be a much stronger applicant. Even waiting until the end of the summer to apply once you have completed A&P is relatively late in the cycle. Also, you should retake the GRE. Aim for above 300. 

1 hour ago, mstocks said:

Hi all, 

thanks for you thoughts. Sorry I should have noted this in the original post... in the fall term I will only have 1-2 outstanding courses for the programs I want to apply to. 

But if they have application due dates of Sept/Oct/Nov and all the other applicants applied in April/May/June when the cycle opens you will be at a significant disadvantage.  Not only will you be applying late in the cycle but will also have outstanding courses and average stats.  Nothing compelling to make a program favor you over someone who has already applied and potentially even already interviewed by the time your app is in.  

Waiting until 2019 would likely increase your chances purely by having all pre-reqs completed and being able to apply early in the cycle, especially with nothing particularly unique about your application (based on what's stated here).

But if they have application due dates of Sept/Oct/Nov and all the other applicants applied in April/May/June when the cycle opens you will be at a significant disadvantage.  Not only will you be applying late in the cycle but will also have outstanding courses and average stats.  Nothing compelling to make a program favor you over someone who has already applied and potentially even already interviewed by the time your app is in.  
Waiting until 2019 would likely increase your chances purely by having all pre-reqs completed and being able to apply early in the cycle, especially with nothing particularly unique about your application (based on what's stated here).

Absolutely correct! Plus taking a year to gain more volunteer more shadowing retaking your GRE more PCE always helps too. You don’t realize how competitive it is until you apply and always best you apply early. I would wait a year and save your money because it’s going to get very costly applying. Also maybe take a few courses in the meantime to boost your GPA up a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you could just apply to your top local choices this cycle ((3-5) if you really wanted and then next cycle, if you don't get in, can reapply to more schools after your courses have been completed. Perhaps you should even contact those programs to see if they would consider your application with four classes pending.

They are correct about submitting it early before the application closes and that means those pending classes would appear on your caspa when you enter them as such since you wouldn't have your grades until after their completion. 

Archived