hashimoto's hypothyroidism

I got diagnosed with hashimoto's hypothyroidism

Hello all , I recently shared on my social media about my recent diagnosis with hypothyroidism. 

I have received a great outpouring on people with similar symptoms or people diagnosed with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism that don't quite understand these disorders so i decided to write about them. 

Both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism affects your thyroid gland however .... they have opposite effects on your body . 

Our thyroid helps maintain our heart, muscles, brain , and other organs functioning properly, also a huge factor in our energy. Essentially your metabolism is too active or slows down.

With HYPOthyroidism our body essentially doesn't make enough thyroid hormone, with HYPERthyroidism our thyroid makes too much.

MOST COMMON cause of HYPOthyroidism is a disease called Hashimoto's ( which is what I was diagnosed with )-- it is an autoimmune disease, where our immune system makes antibodies that destroy thyroid cells which inhibits them from making the thyroid hormone.

MOST COMMON cause of HYPERthyroidism is a condition called Grave's disease-- typically will present with swelling on their neck and swelling in the eyes 

Let's talk how hypothyroidism presents -- so with hypothyroidism your metabolism slows down-- meaning you will feel sluggish , tired, dry skin, dry hair, brittle nails, constipation , weight gain, muscle cramps, depressing , menstrual changes, swelling in front of neck. 

Hyperthyroidism on the other hands is a FAST metabolism -- will feel extremely hot, sweating, problems falling asleep, racing thoughts, difficulty focusing , change in bowel habits, anxiety, weight loss, menstrual changes, fatigue . Now out of the two hyperthyroidism can be more dangerous -- causing thyroid storms in which your thyroid is doing way to much and this is an EMERGENCY. 

Now these are often missed, especially the hashimotos hypothyroidism because often they screen your thyroid hormone but not the complete thyroid panel and sometimes that's what they need in order to make diagnosis. 

I was experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism , but a lot of those symptoms are also related to anemia -- and I am anemic.

I was complaining of extreme fatigue, muscle aches, heavy menstruation, and constipation -- I was seen by an amazing PA at my Ob/gyn clinic here in McAllen , tx and she decided to screen me and sure enough my thyroid was not doing well. 

I began with treatment yesterday and will be following up in 3 months to see if my thyroid is starting to do its job.

Essentially , thyroid disorders aren't often screened but if you are experiencing any of these symptoms it wouldn't hurt to tell your provider next visit if they can check your thyroid. 

Thyroid controls and balances a lot of our hormones-- and I can speak from experience It made me exhausted.  Didn't have energy for much and I didn't want to feel that way. 

I feel way better knowing that now i'm on a treatment plan and on track to having better health. 

if you have any questions please don't hesistate to e-mail me, thank you. 

Melissa Gutierrez-Perez MPAS, PA-C. 
blog: melissa-gutierrez.simplesite.com