PA School with a misdemeanor?

Hi everyone,

I am currently preparing to apply to PA school this upcoming cycle but am starting to get a little nervous. Earlier in the year I got a speeding ticket on a VA interstate. In Virginia, exceeding 80mph is considered reckless driving and a misdemeanor. I never thought that I would have a criminal record from a speeding ticket but here I am. I was wondering if anyone had any information on how this will interfere with my chances of being accepted into a program. Has anyone heard of programs rejecting applications for simply having a criminal record? Or any specific cases where someone has been rejected for a situation like this?

To give some more perspective, the rest of my stats are good. I graduated from a good four year college with a biology major, minor in medicine in society, GPA of 3.68, and a GRE score of 307. I am a CNA at a hospital and will have a few thousand hours of patient care experience. I have shadowed multiple PAs in various fields, have done a month long service/ research trip abroad, have been a TA for multiple biology classes and am currently an official tutor for the A&P class at my college. Will this be enough to make up for my record? Or should I start to look at different options for my future?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Administrator

There are exactly two things you can do about it:

1) Be prepared to explain it.... for the rest of your life: every interview, every credentialing application, everyone will want to know all about it.

2) Give up and quit.

I just got one of my Firefighters an EMT cert with 2 DUIs, so it is possible.

• Upvote 1