So confused..

I know exactly what I want to do, but the path to getting there is becoming more and more confusing. Any insight, advice, constructive criticism, etc. is so welcome!

I got a Bachelors in Social Work. I was active in my program with volunteering, social work clubs, internships, and was a scholar for a Health Care program that sent us to DC to advocate for policy change for our future clients. While in this program, is when my interest in the medical field really started blooming. I wanted something much more hands on, and simply did not feel challenged in the slightest in social work (other than emotionally). I absolutely loved my science classes and really felt I thrived in them. I started on the pre-reqs for Nursing, and really saw a future here. I was recently admitted to an accelerated 2 year BSN program that would start here in June. I got a job in a hospital, and now from my experiences I really see myself wanting to be in a provider role. So, I always figured, no problem I will later down the road go for NP.

I have really started to research more and more about the PA route. The training and competency of the PAs I have met is amazing to me. I'm terrified of going the NP route, just to write a bunch of fluff papers and have to teach myself the clinical skills. This is meant to be NO disrespect to NPs, but I now have met several NPs who tell me their trade is no thanks to their schooling but to their own dedication and self-teaching. I have met amazing individuals in both roles, but it's time for me to really look at the timeline and financial aspect of both. I'm just getting scared that it does not make sense for me to go to nursing school, when I already have a bachelors and could apply straight to PA school after I work on my application requirements some more. Nursing programs are SO impacted here in Southern California, and I would hate to take a seat from someone else pursuing nursing there is another route I could be going. However, I know PA programs are even more competitive and it is terrifying to withdraw my admission from a nursing program and head into the unknown. Side note: I absolutely would be fine with bedside nursing, but know that I will want to go further in my education in the future.

I would have a couple more pre-reqs to complete, such as another chemistry and some genetics. I would need to bulk up my work experience (I'm a CNA), and would need to get some serious shadowing and health-care related volunteering in. My overall GPA from undergrad is around a 3.8, with a 4.0 in my sciences. I just turned 23 and live in North County of San Diego if that changes anything. SORRY for such a long rant, I'm just feeling so lost! I know nobody can make this decision or me, but if anyone has any insight to offer, I would be so grateful. Thanks for your time!!

Nursing is an AMAZING experience for becoming a PA/NP/or MD, especially in a hospital setting because you will be working with nurses and know what it was like to be in their shoes.

If you aren't in a huge hurry, there is nothing wrong with completing your nursing degree and working for a couple years and then applying to PA programs (or Med School). But if the financial burden is too high then PA would be the more direct route. With the exception of a few direct entry programs, NP is generally a bit of a longer road. 

Also look into the differences in scope of practice between NP and PA. The flexibility of the PA was a big selling point for me.

I agree, and nursing still isn't out of the question!! I very much am still considering that route. Nurses in my area have it pretty great with their schedule and starting pay. However, it would be frustrating to add 55,000 in debt to go to nursing school when it could potentially be skipped all together if that makes sense :) I know NPs really harp on their independence and being able to have their own practice, but if I'm being 100% realistic with myself I just don't see that being a goal of mine, so it isn't necessarily a selling point for me. I guess what is really the hardest part about the PA decision is that my husband is pursuing being a firefighter, and that really isn't something you can just up and leave or transfer to another state, and I want to be supportive of him as he is of me. So I would really really be trying to stay in the LA/San Diego area, but I hear school and jobs here are ultra competitive compared to other areas. That really limits me and I have to take a hard look if I would make a competitive enough applicant to stay in an area of my choosing. Thank you for your help/response!!

11 minutes ago, bsw2pa said:

I agree, and nursing still isn't out of the question!! I very much am still considering that route. Nurses in my area have it pretty great with their schedule and starting pay. However, it would be frustrating to add 55,000 in debt to go to nursing school when it could potentially be skipped all together if that makes sense :) I know NPs really harp on their independence and being able to have their own practice, but if I'm being 100% realistic with myself I just don't see that being a goal of mine, so it isn't necessarily a selling point for me. I guess what is really the hardest part about the PA decision is that my husband is pursuing being a firefighter, and that really isn't something you can just up and leave or transfer to another state, and I want to be supportive of him as he is of me. So I would really really be trying to stay in the LA/San Diego area, but I hear school and jobs here are ultra competitive compared to other areas. That really limits me and I have to take a hard look if I would make a competitive enough applicant to stay in an area of my choosing. Thank you for your help/response!!

You're already a CNA, you have a bachelors in social work and a pretty darn good gpa.  Just take the prerequisites at CC and apply to PA school.  This seems like a no-brainer to me but it's just my opinion.  

The majority of California programs favor in-state applicants so you have that going for you.  Not sure about about competition in so-cal but from my experience, if you are motivated and passionate about what you're about to take on, "competition" wont be a problem. Competition is only a problem for mediocre underachievers.

3 minutes ago, SephONE said:

You're already a CNA, you have a bachelors in social work and a pretty darn good gpa.  Just take the prerequisites at CC and apply to PA school.  This seems like a no-brainer to me but it's just my opinion.  

The majority of California programs favor in-state applicants so you have that going for you.  Not sure about about competition in so-cal but from my experience, if you are motivated and passionate about what you're about to take on, "competition" wont be a problem. Competition is only a problem for mediocre underachievers.

Thank you for your words of advice! It's hard to not think about competition when schools around here have 4000 applicants and only accept 90, haha! But I know you are right. If you don't mind me asking, are you applying to California schools and/or are from here?

1 minute ago, bsw2pa said:

Thank you for your words of advice! It's hard to not think about competition when schools around here have 4000 applicants and only accept 90, haha! But I know you are right. If you don't mind me asking, are you applying to California schools and/or are from here?

I'm from Colorado originally and live here currently.  I considered a few schools in California, as I lived in San Diego for 6 years, but my decision was ultimately narrowed down to in state schools only.  There are only 3 programs in Colorado and they are all pretty competitive.  of those three I applied to two and got accepted to my first choice at Rocky Vista, with an inaugural class of 32.

of those 4000, how many have an s and cGPA as high as yours, how many are in state, how many have CNA experience like yourself.  I don't know much about adcoms but you have to consider how many of those 4000 applications are either incomplete or don't meet the standards of the program in the first place...

3 minutes ago, SephONE said:

I'm from Colorado originally and live here currently.  I considered a few schools in California, as I lived in San Diego for 6 years, but my decision was ultimately narrowed down to in state schools only.  There are only 3 programs in Colorado and they are all pretty competitive.  of those three I applied to two and got accepted to my first choice at Rocky Vista, with an inaugural class of 32.

of those 4000, how many have an s and cGPA as high as yours, how many are in state, how many have CNA experience like yourself.  I don't know much about adcoms but you have to consider how many of those 4000 applications are either incomplete or don't meet the standards of the program in the first place...

Wow, congratulations!! How exciting. Colorado is about the next best place after San Diego :)

And that is very true, haha I wish they would give us the number of applicants that were actually being considered for interviews. I guess I was looking at it from the nursing stand point still where there is a check list of requirements and you can't even put in an app until they are done. Crazy to think the money these schools are raking in from app fees for students who don't even qualify yet

One thing I wish I hadn't done at your age was think, "I have to make the right decision RIGHT NOW." 

In your case, you can continue taking pre-requisites, one at a time if you need to, while working with your current certification. If you wait until you're 25 to begin the next phase of your schooling, you'll be considered an independent student, & eligible for a different type/amount of aid, which may GREATLY diminish your student loan debt. (Sing hallelujah! Can I get an AMEN??) 

The worst-case scenario is that you apply for PA-school 3-4 times, and don't get in. If that happens, there's literally NOTHING stopping you from becoming a NP at that point. :) There is no "wrong" choice here, and you seem like a bright person who's going to make the most of life. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 5:19 PM, bsw2pa said:

I know NPs really harp on their independence and being able to have their own practice, but if I'm being 100% realistic with myself I just don't see that being a goal of mine, so it isn't necessarily a selling point for me. I guess what is really the hardest part about the PA decision is that my husband is pursuing being a firefighter, and that really isn't something you can just up and leave or transfer to another state, and I want to be supportive of him as he is of me. 

Indeed, that seems to be a NP mantra, and a valid one for some. But on the same note, it wasn't a huge incentive for me, I know MDs who are slaves to their hospital or spend years and years working their way up the ladder in a private practice much like lawyers do to become "full partners," or bouncing around from hospital to hospital working for large corporations. "Freedom" is an illusion, as any practitioner you will run into constraints, financial, political, and legal. But if it were the number 1 goal for someone then MD/DO is really the only legitimate answer. I've known a lot of NPs here in FL, and the capacity for "independence" and reality of owning your own practice are two very different things. I'm not knocking NPs, I just think they over play that advantage a bit. As for me, even if I was going to Med school, I wouldn't want to start my own practice, my father did that and I got to observe the whole process, in the long run it did pay off but it was a long time ago in a town where he was the first MD of his specialty; for me in most of the scenarios I can imagine I say "no thanks."

As for your husband, that is very true. Law enforcement and fire are both unfortunately heavily constrained in lateral movement, I've heard the stories of senior members in one dept moving to a new town or a new state and having to start all over with the newbies. That you already understand that is great, you two will just have to determine what works best for your situation and the availability of PA programs and if you're willing or not to do 2 years long distance.

Archived