On 5/7/2018 at 4:31 PM, EMEDPA said:

congrats!!!

On 5/7/2018 at 11:01 PM, Joelseff said:

Congrats E! Man that went by fast!

thanks so much both! i hope to be able to do well these next few years, eventually work in an academic setting, and also get into PA and medical education... perhaps work on this PA to MD/DO bridge now having gone through both.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, NRPAC said:

Not sure why someone would post information stating that you cannot get enough education in 1 year to pass step 1.   Simply inaccurate. Most people are so uneducated about PA education.  MDs have FORTY more hours of clinical rotations that PAs.  The didactic curriculum is IDENTICAL for PAs and MDs.   This is documented by the AMA. MOST PAs could pass step 1 and step 2 with solely their PA training.  PAs are the ONLY licensed medical providers that have to re take their National Boards every 5 years to maintain national certification.  That board exam covers EVERY MEDICAL SPECIALTY THERE IS..  Not even MDs have to recertify in every medical specialty ever 5 years.    Its unfortunate people are so uneducated about PA education.  Just because the current laws and medical school regulations and governing bodies impose time restrictions does not mean they are accurate. Most of them are driven by monetary incentives and high paid lobbying groups.   That does not make them accurate. We need to look at the facts.  

A lot of what you have said is opinion, some is stated as factual - but has no sources.  I am very interested to see a source citing where the AMA stated that didactic curriculum is identical between PA and medical school - I want to make it clear that I am not calling into question your statement, just asking for verification.

Now for the incorrect statement as bolded above: the recertification exam used to be on a 6 year cycle, it is now on a 10 year cycle. So your statement regarding 5 years is false - please see source pasted below.  This makes me question the vast majority of your statement.

http://www.nccpa.net/CertificationProcess

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NRPAC said:

Not sure why someone would post information stating that you cannot get enough education in 1 year to pass step 1.   Simply inaccurate. Most people are so uneducated about PA education.  MDs have FORTY more hours of clinical rotations that PAs.  The didactic curriculum is IDENTICAL for PAs and MDs.   This is documented by the AMA. MOST PAs could pass step 1 and step 2 with solely their PA training.

show me a med school and a pa school at the same location with exactly the same didactic material.  I know there are programs where PAs take some classes with md/do, but not all.  Stuff that is covered in pa school in a week is an entire course in medschool. Immunology, neuroanatomy, embryology, etc

sensing troll here. I know I could not pass usmle step 1 right out of PA school, and certainly not now. I graduated 3rd in a class of 80 at a program that was considered top 3 back in the day.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, EMEDPA said:

show me a med school and a pa school at the same location with exactly the same didactic material.  I know there are programs where PAs take some classes with md/do, but not all.  Stuff that is covered in pa school in a week is an entire course in medschool. Immunology, neuroanatomy, embryology, etc

sensing troll here. I know I could not pass usmle step 1 right out of PA school, and certainly not now. I graduated 3rd in a class of 80 at a program that was considered top 3 back in the day.

God, I hope it's a troll and not someone representing us out there with that shitbrain thought process.

• Like 1

EMEDPA is a PA lifer who has probably done more for the profession than you have.

However he’s also very realistic about the obstacles PAs face and the differences in the education.

And just saying nost new grad PA couldn’t pass step one isn’t an insult, it’s a result of the differences in education and the fact that we spend less time on the theoretical BS that rarely affects clinical judgment and decision making and medical students dedicate an entire year to the subject matter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/12/2018 at 3:18 PM, EMEDPA said:

Intro to Clinical Medicine (course that sums all that you supposedly learned through the first year) taken with Y2 med students was an eye opener for our class.  Med students would get 80's-90's on exams, we'd get 60's-70's.  Same class, same material, different scores.

• Upvote 2

I got my hands on a few First Aid Clerkship books that medical students use to study for their rotations as adjunct to my study materials. It is obvious the PAEA mimics what the med students are expected to learn for our EOREs but the depth that they go into isn't even close to what PA students are expected to learn. 
I was also given a step 1 book from a current medical student and after flipping through it I don't see how any PA student could be expected to pass Step 1. We learn practically none of that while in PA school. From my understanding Step 2 would be more realistic test for us to compare since its more clinical based. But I'm not saying I could pass that right now either. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PAsPreMed said:

I got my hands on a few First Aid Clerkship books that medical students use to study for their rotations as adjunct to my study materials. It is obvious the PAEA mimics what the med students are expected to learn for our EOREs but the depth that they go into isn't even close to what PA students are expected to learn. 
I was also given a step 1 book from a current medical student and after flipping through it I don't see how any PA student could be expected to pass Step 1. We learn practically none of that while in PA school. From my understanding Step 2 would be more realistic test for us to compare since its more clinical based. But I'm not saying I could pass that right now either. 

PA education is best aimed at usmle step 2 and 3 and the family medicine boards, which many PAs could pass. Unfortunately to officially take the FP boards one has to pass step 1. There are numerous stories out there about program directors having their students take FP boards (blinded as to what t actually is) at the end of their programs and having most pass.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, newton9686 said:

EMEDPA is a PA lifer who has probably done more for the profession than you have.

However he’s also very realistic about the obstacles PAs face and the differences in the education.

And just saying nost new grad PA couldn’t pass step one isn’t an insult, it’s a result of the differences in education and the fact that we spend less time on the theoretical BS that rarely affects clinical judgment and decision making and medical students dedicate an entire year to the subject matter.

Believe the poster was in agreement with EMed's perspective rather than calling him the troll.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

PA who attended a program that was combined with a MD program here. We crammed a year of information from MS1 into 3 months ( a lot was left out), and then rolled into MS2. same classes, same exams. I love the idea of having didactic and going right into a residency.

I definitely think there would need to be a lot of focus on that first year material in a bridge program to prepare for step 1. But I do think it can be done in 12 months.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...