crappy per diem rates

Hiii!! I work for a HUGE academic hospital on the west coast. I don’t hold academic affiliation but some of my attendings do. They staff other local community ICUs all of which have their own medical directors, some who i know and some i don’t. One particular medical director reached out to me to see if I would be willing to moonlight in his ICU asap as their FT PA is out on a surgical leave and wants me to start ASAP. It’s a smaller community type of ICU that has a much lower acuity than what i am used to but i very much welcome that aspect. They are begging me to start ASAP because they’re so short but their offer in terms of hourly rate is crap. It’s less than I make at my FT job by $10/hr. Is this a terrible sign? Should I negotiate or walk (i don’t need this job but extra money is never bad)? What’s the average hourly rate for per diem in an ICU for someone with 5yrs experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't give much specific info regarding ICU per diem, but personally I would take my normal hourly rate and respond with at least 1.5x that, but if they are truly desperate then maybe even 2x.  That is the going rate for physicians, and they would be getting a steal for a PA with experience - especially in a pinch such as this.

Wow I was stingy with myself then! I countered with $10 more than hr than I make and they said it was too high! Glad I walked away from it because they’re def not going to get someone with experience for that rate!

Ahh they just came back and agreed to my counter offer at $73/hr. It’s one shift a week and will likely cover my monthly student loan expenses. Wishing I had asked for more now (am I being greedy?) would you guys accept this offer? They want me to start ASAP.

On 3/14/2018 at 7:05 PM, NYCPAC said:

Ahh they just came back and agreed to my counter offer at $73/hr. It’s one shift a week and will likely cover my monthly student loan expenses. Wishing I had asked for more now (am I being greedy?) would you guys accept this offer? They want me to start ASAP.

At this point it serves your purposes. On the next gig you will have more experience and leverage. 

• 2 weeks later...

And so much of it is relative...I currently work in an academic medical center where we get paid "doc pay" for picking up ad hoc shifts or nocturnist shifts, $125/hr and $150/hr respectively, sometimes more depending on their desperation.

I just went half time to allow myself the opportunity to branch out clinically (a faculty we have a hidden noncompete clause) and was super sad by the per diem rates I've run across haha :) Still, haven't settled for <30% on top of my current hourly

Archived