Chances of Acceptance

From my reading, some of the programs who require the GRE simply need to see that you've taken it but don't put any weight on the score. Of course there are a lot of other schools who don't even require the GRE and won't look at it as part of your application either. As far as the schools who do require it and put weight on the score, I'm no help there sorry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The impression I get is that the GRE is used as a cutoff to weed out applicants, because the programs may receive 1,000+ applications for 60 or 80 seats. Programs appear to have their own cutoff limits, but they don't publish them. It is basically an easy way to cull applications down to a manageable number (same as GPA). You can usually see the mean (and sometimes the min and max) scores for the preceding class on a given program's website and that should give you an idea about how it may affect you. 

That said, 295 is low, if balanced (i.e. 147/8 V and 147/8 Q), that puts you in the bottom 30-40% using 2017/2018 numbers. So, if you get interviews, it might come up but shouldn't be a big deal because your GPA is good. But if you don't get any interviews, then your GRE might be why. 

Completely anecdotally from talking with other students and from what I've read here, a combined GRE score of 300 is "safe-ish" and 310+ is "completely safe." 

I've heard PhD adcom folks make fun of the GRE, and like jpshoe said, no one may actually care what your GRE score is, BUT you still have to meet the minimum cutoff, whatever it may be.

54 minutes ago, jpshoe said:

You'll be fine with a 295, no worries there! It's a trivial component to the app in my opinion. As long as you have a solid personal statement along with your stats (and good LORs) you shouldn't have an issue. 

Yeah I think I am going to study and retake the GRE just to get closer and hopefully about 300. Thanks for the responses. 

Archived