Considering Moving from MD to NC

Hi all! 

My husband an I are considering moving from central Maryland to North Carolina in the next year or so - looking at the Raleigh area but also really love Asheville. Mainly looking due to lower cost of living and I have some family in the Raleigh area. 

Wondering how PA friendly the state is - I am currently working in Orthopedics and would like to stay in that specialty. I also have experience in Urgent Care so I would be open to that that as well depending on the position if I can't find an Ortho gig. I have been a PA for just shy of 3 yrs.  

How is the job market and does anyone know what Salary I could expect in Orthopedics in NC? I currently make $102,500 in MD - this was the starting salary for my transition into Ortho with a year of Urgent Care and 10 months of Hospitalist experience before that. I've been at my current job for 6 months. 

Thanks in advance for any advise or info can you give me!

I don't know much about the NC environment for PAs (I'm just a student), but I've read on the forum multiple times that it's one of the best states to practice as a PA. NC was the birthplace of the PA so from what I've read, they are well established there. Now, how this actually plays out in real life, I can't say.

I just wanted to comment because I'm from Baltimore, and hope to get back to practice in MD in the future, so I was wondering how PA friendly MD is? I have many nurse friends who say that NPs are preferred (for lack of a better word), especially at big hospitals like Hopkins (main campus) and UMMC.

47 minutes ago, vb315 said:

I don't know much about the NC environment for PAs (I'm just a student), but I've read on the forum multiple times that it's one of the best states to practice as a PA. NC was the birthplace of the PA so from what I've read, they are well established there. Now, how this actually plays out in real life, I can't say.

I just wanted to comment because I'm from Baltimore, and hope to get back to practice in MD in the future, so I was wondering how PA friendly MD is? I have many nurse friends who say that NPs are preferred (for lack of a better word), especially at big hospitals like Hopkins (main campus) and UMMC.

Maryland is pretty PA friendly from my perspective - Hopkins is a big exception as they have a large NP program so they tend to skew towards NPs but that doesnt mean PA's aren't used. I know several people from my class got jobs at the Bayview campus in the ED - Hopkins as a whole tends to pay lower than average though so it's prob not worth it unless you want the name on your resume. 

I had no problem finding a job right out of school and when I switched specialties it took no time at all to find a position. 

Where are your practicing now? 

On 3/10/2018 at 11:36 AM, Jankr said:

Maryland is pretty PA friendly from my perspective - Hopkins is a big exception as they have a large NP program so they tend to skew towards NPs but that doesnt mean PA's aren't used. I know several people from my class got jobs at the Bayview campus in the ED - Hopkins as a whole tends to pay lower than average though so it's prob not worth it unless you want the name on your resume. 

I had no problem finding a job right out of school and when I switched specialties it took no time at all to find a position. 

Where are your practicing now? 

Thanks for the info Jankr! I shadowed an ER PA at Bayview (I grew up 5 mins away from there haha), and she really loved her job and relationship with her CP. I'm glad that you had an easy time switching specialties, like I said I hope to get back to MD at some point. I'm still just a PA student, but at a program in CT. I moved here from MD in Jan. 2017, starting clinical year in April!

I grew up near Asheville (Rutherford County) and I currently live in MD,  so even though I don't know the PA laws, I can share a bit of local lore: 
1) You will never stop seeing beautiful things. 
2) Just east of the mountains, on the southern border, is an area known as the "Isothermal Belt" where the weather is warm & incredible all year round. It does occasionally get snow, but the dogwood trees bloom in February. Freaking February. :D 
3) Asheville is FULL of culture, beauty, art, music, folklore, native gemstones, etc. The areas *around* Asheville can also have those things, but can also be full of poverty, ignorance, religious fundamentalism, occult activity (the highest in the state), a "you weren't born here, so you don't belong" mentality, and a population in *desperate* need of medical care. 
4) There weren't any ridiculous auto inspection laws like there are here. You can get a cheap used car for *almost nothing*, especially in Rutherford County, and find a decent person to fix it. 
5) Liver mush is really worth trying. Don't let the name fool you. :D My husband could eat it by the pound. 
6) The area just east of the mountains used to be a booming textile & furniture area. Now there's almost *no* industry except tourism keeping it afloat. It's so difficult to get decent internet there that a local author sponsored a free wi-fi project, to make sure people had access. 
7) They filmed the movie "The Last of the Mohicans" in Chimney Rock, NC, near Asheville, and it's worth a visit. :D 
8) I was born in a town called Bat Cave. Seriously. It's on my birth certificate. :D 

Good luck! 

On 3/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, vb315 said:

I'm in the Baltimore/Annapolis/DC triad area, and there are a ton of PAs here. Almost all of the urgent cares are staffed by them. The VA hospitals are actively looking for PAs. I've never been to Hopkins, but Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis has plenty of them. And my primary caregiver is a PA. :D Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it here. I feel like I'm in heaven. 

Archived