Little Problem with Job Title postings....

Hello all,

I work for a very large Medical Employer, in a very Large Midwestern city- NOT Chicago.

I am looking to change departments/jobs and I look at the website for job postings.  There are many, and all of them mention NP, that's it?  

I looked under the tab Advanced Practice Practicioner- and it was all about nursing school, etc. Not one mention of postions for PA's?

There are many PA's currently working for my employer- including me.

So, I talk to a 'recruiter' this morning on the phone about changing jobs (I don't to caca now, lots of free time, and if not, they have me do menial jobs/tasks- kinda under an MA's capabilities.

So she says- Oh, I see an NP job at the Urgent care.......

In which I state 'I"m not a nurse, isn't the position listed for a PA?  Obviously- this 'recruiter' has no idea what I"m talking about - really?

Stupidly on MY part, I me mentioned that I will look into contactin my state PA Association, AAPA, and will get a lawyer if I have to.

She said she will have the NP recruiter call me, at which point I said 'not the APP recruiter, but the NP recruiter?

This doesn't look good for me, hopefully it will turn around for me.

Good Day to all,

A concerned PA

NPs are dominating the market slowly but surely and it has affecting new PAs such as myself (<10 years of practice). That is the reason why we need OTP and a professional title change. There are still some PAs against these changes which I just don't understand. 

4 minutes ago, PACali said:

NPs are dominating the market slowly but surely and it has affecting new PAs such as myself (<10 years of practice). That is the reason why we need OTP and a professional title change. There are still some PAs against these changes which I just don't understand. 

Cause they see no reason for it, they are the one's not personally affected and ready to retire, so why care....That is how I think they older PAs feel about OTP, just my opinion and could not be completely reflective of their thoughts. I would love to hear more seasoned PAs thoughts about OTP (if they do NOT support it).

camoman most every "old" PA I know supports it including me. (whippersnapper). The only ones I know personally who don't, and I don't want to paint with too broad a brush, are in education.  They sometimes allude that I just don't get it because I don't know what PA education is any more. We agree to disagree. 

PAEA has been less than supportive which is actually an improvement over their outright initial opposition. Most of the folks in strong opposition don't really understand the difference between OTP and independence. Just one man's observation.

5 hours ago, sas5814 said:

The only ones I know personally who don't, and I don't want to paint with too broad a brush, are in education.  They sometimes allude that I just don't get it because I don't know what PA education is any more. We agree to disagree. 

So PAs in education think PA education today is subpar relative to that of the past?

22 hours ago, sas5814 said:

camoman most every "old" PA I know supports it including me. (whippersnapper). The only ones I know personally who don't, and I don't want to paint with too broad a brush, are in education.  They sometimes allude that I just don't get it because I don't know what PA education is any more. We agree to disagree. 

PAEA has been less than supportive which is actually an improvement over their outright initial opposition. Most of the folks in strong opposition don't really understand the difference between OTP and independence. Just one man's observation.

I think I graduated from the whippersnapper stage, with a decade of HCE (including being a PA-C) I don't want this old style thinking to stop from us advancing our profession when we are drowning from NPs taking the market over. I am happy to see you support OTP and hope we can get more people involved in their state chapters.

It’s a tough fight. If it hasn’t comes to you yet wait for it’s coming. It’s upsetting. Sure. Join your PA chapter. We will all be eaten up before the change comes our way.

They dominate in administration. They’re designated as the group or practice APP and clinical site director. They are the one that hire and negotiate salary for incoming APP. What a trend and it’s toxic to the PA profession as a whole. We are been push out of primary care. Yes. We are better trained. Believe me, no one gives a crap!

For those PAs that object to getting an online doctorate degree whether it’s a water down doctorate degree my message for you is just wait and see. Some where reluctant when PA converted to master degree & now it has becomes the norm. The landscape has changed & increasingly becoming a tough battle.

Was at a global health meeting and this FM doc kept on referencing NP over and over in a room that were also filled w PA. I took issues with this. Yes. They’re becoming more relevant than us & we would soon be face out.

Just my 2 cent.

Thanks for all the replies.

For the first time in a LONG time, I have joined my local/state PA chapter.  In 2 weeks, I'm going to the Spring Conference- I"m even taking a Vascular US workshop!  I had the skill 15 yrs ago, and want it again for a possible job change!

I'm going to contact the Director of HR as a start, etc.

Thank God, I still have a good job with this organization.  A job that works 0% (yes 0) at my license level- but still pays well, and still get APP benefits.  After a year of this sitting/computer work- I'm really longing to treat patients again as I have so much in the past.

And FWIW- someone brought up the Title Change?  I"ve been for it since I was in PA school 25 years ago!

22 hours ago, MidwesternTexan said:

In which I state 'I"m not a nurse, isn't the position listed for a PA?  Obviously- this 'recruiter' has no idea what I"m talking about - really?

Stupidly on MY part, I me mentioned that I will look into contactin my state PA Association, AAPA, and will get a lawyer if I have to.

I apply to jobs that say NP only and sometimes get a call and sometimes get a response that I'm not "qualified" to do the work of an NP.  I agree this is a huge problem we are facing.  I'm a member of AAPA and my state organization.  We all need to be involved in helping gain equal ground.  This is why we need more PAs in administration.  I'm struggling to get into admin because the big systems near me seem to only think RN/NP are qualified.  

On a side note....why would you threaten HR with contacting AAPA and getting a lawyer?!?!?  Have they done something illegal in posting a job for an NP, but seemingly will also consider a PA for the job?  I can see if a system would not hire PAs at all, then maybe AAPA or your state organziation could try reaching out to understand, but in your case your employer already hires PAs.  I would try to investigate yourself why the position is "NP" recruiter and why are postings just for NPs.  

I've been noticing a similar trend in my area (SoCal).  At my current place of employment they've decided to search for a few NP's instead of PA's.  I think the staff would generally say they prefer to work with PA's as we generally do and see everything compared to the NP's who do a lot of " I'm not comfortable seeing that complaint, or I don't do sutures" sort of thing.  Which may be unique to these specific NP's , but I also saw that at my prior clinic too. 

Regardless from an administrative point of view NP's are easier to deal with.  No required chart cosign supervision nonsense, the docs prefer this, they don't want their name or the supervision responsibility on someone else's chart if they can avoid it.  I notice the NP's kinda do their own thing whereas I have to adopt the practice habits of my given SP which may be ultra conservative or very "cowboy" if you will.

Thanks for the additional feedback. 

I'm toning down that rhetoric. 

I'm pretty sure that in TX, and in WI, only 10% of charts have to be reviewed- which virtually never happens anyways.  A specific hospital may require 'co-signing' however.

I'm asking to talk to the Director of APP recruitment, etc.

Wish me luck

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 7:39 PM, MidwesternTexan said:

Thanks for the additional feedback. 

I'm toning down that rhetoric. 

I'm pretty sure that in TX, and in WI, only 10% of charts have to be reviewed- which virtually never happens anyways.  A specific hospital may require 'co-signing' however.

I'm asking to talk to the Director of APP recruitment, etc.

Wish me luck

Actually in Texas the only time the 10% chart review rule comes into play in in Rural Health Clinics. The rest of us have to have "continuous and adequate" supervision and chart review is a matter to be determined at the practice level though most people have glommed on to the 10% because it is the only hard number mentioned in our enabling language. It could be zero though nobody I know has the stones to try that.

Archived