Hello!

I'm planning on taking a 3 month EMT course this summer. I am already looking into different jobs that EMTs are capable of applying for just in case there are no EMT job opportunities near me when I am finished with the program. I had no idea how many different healthcare jobs people with an EMT certification could do. My question is this: which healthcare profession would look better on my PA application? 1. EMT 2. Patient Care Tech (there are awesome PCT jobs in different hospitals in oncology, etc. that I personally seem more interested in), 3. ER tech 4. Medical Assistant (Some clinics allow some EMT certification to work as a MA)

I have read that a job in the hospital can be better because of the interactions with MDs, DOs, PAs, etc but I also know that some schools hold an EMT to a higher standard sometimes. 

Thanks in advance! :) 

I've been an EMT for 2 years. My advice to you would be to try your hardest to get a PCT/ER tech (they're the same thing) position. Your back will thank you and you'll probably learn a lot more working in a hospital than in a pre-hospital setting. You'll get to interact with higher level health care providers and learn from them, while you're pretty much on your own in EMS. I think CASPA has MA as HCE, so I wouldn't recommend it if you already have your EMT-B, although hospital positions do tend to pay more than private EMS. I've worked at several ambulance companies and the pay was barely above minimum wage for all of them.   

Agree with above. Working in a hospital setting is much more beneficial especially as an EMT. You will be able to do more and have more frequent interactions with MD’s and PAs. I personally work 911/critical care ground ambulance for three years while also working full time as an ED tech. Currently I am in more of an MA role at an urgent care. All have been good experience and I feel they have prepared me really well for PA school.

it also sounds like you are an ATC, I would look at trying to get hired by an ortho clinic. The Ortho group at my hospital has tons of ATC’s and they are all direct care and most spend some time in the OR as well.

Hospital setting provides the best exposure to other professions (Physicians, Advanced Practice Provider [PAs and NPs], RNs, RTs, etc) but the scope is limited and you're dealing with various types of admins. Outpatient clinics provide the best experience IMO, especially if there are no RNs at the facility. Paramedics have the most fun on the ambulance because they can push meds start IVs, etc. Basics are very limited.

I had a "nursing" scope as a MA at an urgent care...blood draws, EKGs, ear lavages, wound care, assisted with suturing, suture/staple removal, injections/medication administration, verbally calling in meds per provider's order...anything the providers did not want to do was delegated to me.

PS. I was a licensed EMT-B prior to nursing school and never once worked on an ambulance.

I am curious why you would be taking an EMT course when you are already an ATC according to your other post? Every program I looked at classified this as high level patient care experience. You are evaluating patients, treating sports injuries, creating recovery plans and walking with lathered through every step. This is amazing patient care experience. 

We have a couple of ATCs in our cohort and they are both fantastic and have a ton of experience. Follow your heart of course and do what you think is best. But don't go waste your money on an EMT course just because you think it's better PCE. 

Archived