Waitlisted but not Accepted

As this years application cycle is finishing up and the next cycle is about to start, I am becoming more frustrated as to why I can't seem to get accepted into a program. I have applied three times now. My first year I apply to two school in November, got one interview and was not accepted which is what I expected. The following year, I applied to four school by July. I did not receive any interviews at all. This year I applied by June to 10 schools, received three interviews and was put on the waitlist of two of the schools and am not very high on either. 

I received by B.S. in biochemistry and my overall GPA is 3.33 and my science GPA is also 3.33. I have only one C in all my science classes which was in my online additional (took this after college bc I had only taken comparative anatomy) anatomy class that I took and I believe this grade was because it was an online class and I found I don't do well in those which is something I added to my essay. My GRE scores were 153 verbal and 150 analytical and a 4.0 in writing. I have work as a CNA in a hospital medical/surgical unit for two years and just moved and got a job at a medical surgical unit in the children's hospital there as a patient care tech. I have well over 5000 hours of PCE and 40 hours of shadowing with more to come over the next few months.

In addition to reapplying, I may get my EMT certification. I don't want to spend all my money on training and classes though because I don't make very much as a PCT as it is and we all know how much it costs to apply to PA school.

Any suggestions as to how I should improve?

Im right there with you, Its a numbers game you're smart and you're good enough to be selected for interviews but class sizes are probably too small For a program that's rolling admissions

Research the schools, apply more broadly to 40 schools you'll increase your chances of getting one yes 

This applicant Manual helped me pick out schools that I'm a fit for

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1976073847/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i-IFAbBG3HP16

You have a strong undergrad major good gre and hce

Sounds like what you're doing on your application is right because you're getting invited to interviews. How'd you prep for your interviews? I've interviewed at 2 places. I read, "How to "Ace" the Physician Assistant School Interview" and did mock interviews with thePAplatform both times. Got into the school I did my first interview with and still waiting to hear back from the second school I did my interview with. My GPA and GRE score are lower than yours. 

In my opinion, once invited to an interview, it comes down to personality. You have the grades to pass the program. Now they want to see if you fit their school and will work well with other in your program and in your clinicals. I know my program was big on that and i have an amazing class that i love very much. 

People skills arent something you learn in class but in life. This isnt to say you are awkward or anything but its just something to think about when you try to better yourself as an applicant. Good luck. 

As this years application cycle is finishing up and the next cycle is about to start, I am becoming more frustrated as to why I can't seem to get accepted into a program. I have applied three times now. My first year I apply to two school in November, got one interview and was not accepted which is what I expected. The following year, I applied to four school by July. I did not receive any interviews at all. This year I applied by June to 10 schools, received three interviews and was put on the waitlist of two of the schools and am not very high on either. 
I received by B.S. in biochemistry and my overall GPA is 3.33 and my science GPA is also 3.33. I have only one C in all my science classes which was in my online additional (took this after college bc I had only taken comparative anatomy) anatomy class that I took and I believe this grade was because it was an online class and I found I don't do well in those which is something I added to my essay. My GRE scores were 153 verbal and 150 analytical and a 4.0 in writing. I have work as a CNA in a hospital medical/surgical unit for two years and just moved and got a job at a medical surgical unit in the children's hospital there as a patient care tech. I have well over 5000 hours of PCE and 40 hours of shadowing with more to come over the next few months.
In addition to reapplying, I may get my EMT certification. I don't want to spend all my money on training and classes though because I don't make very much as a PCT as it is and we all know how much it costs to apply to PA school.
Any suggestions as to how I should improve?
What about community service work? Many PA programs missions are to serve the underserved. Therefore have you shown a history that your mission of in line with the schools? Ideally find volunteer mission work at health clinics, but volunteer regularly at a soup kitchen, homeless, Vets etc.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

• Administrator

Quick assessment: GPA is meh, GRE is meh, HCE is OK but I'd rather see someone with half the hours in a more senior role (LPN/RN, Paramedic, RT, etc.).  Shadowing could go up a bit, but don't waste TOO much time--focus on diversity of experience, not huge numbers of hours. 

It's not clear to me what you've been doing to raise your GPA.

The advice above about interviewing skills and community service are excellent advice, but I would caution against applying to more than 10 schools: it costs a lot of money and the more broadly you apply, the less research you do to make sure you're picking the school that's the best *fit* for you.

5 hours ago, rev ronin said:

The advice above about interviewing skills and community service are excellent advice, but I would caution against applying to more than 10 schools: it costs a lot of money and the more broadly you apply, the less research you do to make sure you're p

Totally agree with this, super expensive and actually doesn’t increase your chances very dramatically at all. If you applied to all 250 or so programs your chance would be 25%. If you apply to 10-12 schools your percentage starts to approach this anyway. Save your money and apply places you like, that have a mission that resonates with you and that you will not mind being for several years.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:48 PM, PAFish said:

if the opportunity is still available you should send thank you letters to your interviewers.  Ideally this should be done as soon as possible post-interview. Tailor these letters to each individual interviewer.  Also consider letter of intent.  

Archived