Has anyone here taken any pre-req classes online through Doane University? Wondering about biochem, but haven't found much about it online. Also wondering if Doane's course is doable course for someone who hasn't taken orgo since 2015. 

Finishing up biochem there right now because I started in January! It’s amazing! The class is well structured, and if you put in the work you’ll get a great grade. Dr. beio is very flexible in assignment due dates and answers your questions shortly after you ask them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, tbgardner said:

I just enrolled into the class todayemoji4.png.. I’m wondering as well.

tbgardner, do you want a virtual study-buddy? Lol. Might be nice to be connected to someone also taking it!

4 hours ago, Jchen14 said:

Finishing up biochem there right now because I started in January! It’s amazing! The class is well structured, and if you put in the work you’ll get a great grade. Dr. beio is very flexible in assignment due dates and answers your questions shortly after you ask them.

Thanks for the feedback! Well structured sounds nice...far better than what UNE sounds like! Would you say it'd be extremely difficult without having a fresh o-chem knowledge base? That's really my only concern, it's been so long since I took orgo

Thanks for the feedback! Well structured sounds nice...far better than what UNE sounds like! Would you say it'd be extremely difficult without having a fresh o-chem knowledge base? That's really my only concern, it's been so long since I took orgo

Honestly, no. You don’t really need to have solid ochem knowledge. I took both of my ochems in 2015 and I didn’t really have much issue in understanding the reaction pathways. You just have to know the basic functional groups like carbonyl, carb acid, amides, imidazoles, amines etc. there’s no mention of reaction types like SN1 SN2 or synthesis. Don’t worry!

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jchen14 said:

Honestly, no. You don’t really need to have solid ochem knowledge. I took both of my ochems in 2015 and I didn’t really have much issue in understanding the reaction pathways. You just have to know the basic functional groups like carbonyl, carb acid, amides, imidazoles, amines etc. there’s no mention of reaction types like SN1 SN2 or synthesis. Don’t worry!

That's a huge relief! Thanks for all the feedback, it's been immensely helpful!

tbgardner, do you want a virtual study-buddy? Lol. Might be nice to be connected to someone also taking it!

Yes, I would a study buddy. I’ll inbox you my info.

How is the difficulty level of this online class at Doane ? are the exams online for people living in different states ?

19 hours ago, mooredc said:

The biochem course at Doane is amazing. Most well put together class I've ever taken.

how is it structured ? and how are the exams ? is it possible to get an A if you just study the material that professor provides ? im thinking of taking because I need if for PA- school application

39 minutes ago, yp1224 said:

how is it structured ? and how are the exams ? is it possible to get an A if you just study the material that professor provides ? im thinking of taking because I need if for PA- school application

I haven't had a biochem exam yet. It's all assignments although there is a final at the end of the course.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yp1224 said:

The only exam is a final. Everything else is completing assignments. So it is very doable to get an A while at the same time truly learning the material. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, mooredc said:

The only exam is a final. Everything else is completing assignments. So it is very doable to get an A while at the same time truly learning the material. 

Sorry to bother you but how many chapters is the final? and how difficult are the assignments ?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, yp1224 said:

Sorry to bother you but how many chapters is the final? and how difficult are the assignments ?

It is proabably 15 or so chapters. But it’s open notes. The assignments are not too hard. I spent 1-2 hours a day on it.

• Upvote 2

On 2/22/2018 at 10:56 PM, synapsem said:

Has anyone here taken any pre-req classes online through Doane University? Wondering about biochem, but haven't found much about it online. Also wondering if Doane's course is doable course for someone who hasn't taken orgo since 2015. 

I've also enrolled for the 3/12-5/12 class! 

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, mooredc said:

It is proabably 15 or so chapters. But it’s open notes. The assignments are not too hard. I spent 1-2 hours a day on it.

are the assignments online ? and how would you say the difficult of this online class is out of 10?

On 3/2/2018 at 10:30 PM, yp1224 said:

are the assignments online ? and how would you say the difficult of this online class is out of 10?

The assignments are online and worksheets that you can print out. It's not too difficult thus far, but I will say that there's no lecture component and you'll spend a lot of time teaching yourself. I think that's true of any online course though, the difference with this class being that the way you are graded gives you room for improvement/learning and doing well. It's really not been that difficult, just fast paced. I'd say 7 or 8/10 with 10 being easiest, but I'm only in the third(?) week.

I am interested in taking Biochem here and possible organic chem 2.  Has anyone taken Organic Chem 2 here before?  How was that class?  All of the comments about biochem are very helpful! I have been taking courses online at UNE and are very familiar with them and am looking to switch.  Are the exams at Doane proctored like UNE?  Thank you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cbrutts said:

I am interested in taking Biochem here and possible organic chem 2.  Has anyone taken Organic Chem 2 here before?  How was that class?  All of the comments about biochem are very helpful! I have been taking courses online at UNE and are very familiar with them and am looking to switch.  Are the exams at Doane proctored like UNE?  Thank you.

Dr. Beio teaches all of the online chemistry courses at Doane so I would imagine the format is the same. For biochemistry there was only one exam which was the final, and it was not proctored. Instead the program is designed to have a lot of practical application assignments that ensure mastery of the material. 

• Upvote 1

I am on the lookout for a biochemistry course as well. Can anyone provide with a direct link to the course which i can submit the program i am applying into to see if they will accept this online course? 

Also I am currently taking organic II and want to take biochemistry after this but i am unable to do so face to face. But i am really scared of taking an online biochemistry course and not getting an A. It will ruin my gpa. 

Please let me know how the structure of the course is. It will be really helpful. 

Thanks

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, mooredc said:

I am currently half way through biochem course with Prof. Beio. I just wanted to confirm what you stated earlier. The final exam is like the chapter quizzes in that its open notes, and no time limit??

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, christopherande.09 said:

I am currently half way through biochem course with Prof. Beio. I just wanted to confirm what you stated earlier. The final exam is like the chapter quizzes in that its open notes, and no time limit??

Well the final exam when I took it was open notes but it did have like a 2 hour time limit or something. But there were no chapter quizzes when I took the course so apparently he switched things up. 

• Upvote 2