Hello! I was wondering what chemistry grades people have received and whether they were able to get into PA school with them. I have currently an A in gen chem 1, a B- in genchem 2 and orgo 1, and a B in orgo 2. Should I retake any classes? Or will I be able to get into a PA school with these grades? (Just a note my overall science gpa is 3.5). 

Sorry for the annoying question, but any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you! 

-Maylily7

I got a C- in Intro to Chem, B- in Chemical Equilibria, B in Ochem I, C+ in Ochem II, A in Gen Chem I, and B in Gen Chem II.

I don't think that your grades will break you. :) You have a good sGPA. I think school might scrutinize biological science grades more than chem grades, though both are important.

I minored in chemistry and got a C in all my chem courses but 1. Got accepted to my top2 schools  Don't sweat it. 

I think it depends on the school. If I remember correctly I think some schools won’t accept below a B in prereqs. Try to look into schools you might be interested in (daunting task I know) to get a feel. I generally think it’s best to restrict yourself from as few schools as possible. If I were you I probably would retake the B- classes and try very hard to get As. You can do both of those classes a a junior college to save money. If time is a real issue you could always apply with what you have (to schools that accept B-) with the plan to retake those 2 classes before reapplying if you don’t make it the first time. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, SCHW9076 said:

I minored in chemistry and got a C in all my chem courses but 1. Got accepted to my top2 schools  Don't sweat it. 

Might I ask what schools you applied to? I might want to look into their programs! Thank you :)

This PA I spoke to said he never used any chemistry in PA school. I know this doesn't help that much...but just giving you an idea of how unimportant chemistry is. He also said he wishes he'd taken more anatomy. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By UnconfidentnewGrad
      So I am a new grad.. I was offered a job in a specialty (GI). Pay is 80k.
      Schedule: 1 week in office. 1 week heavy hospital work -seeing consults/rounding (+night call Mon-Sun but only calls from patients and nurses not from physicans which go to on call Doc). Then next week is hospital work with rounds/consults M-F but no night call. I would rotate though this schedule

Do you think the pay is too low for that on call week?

Also let me add that I graduated in December-2017- I was trying SO hard to find a job in my city but could not-- eventually gave up and applied outside of my state. I am scared this may be the best offer I can get because of my time off. 
    • By fabgab
      Hi all, 
      I recently graduated with my Bachelor's in Biology last December 2017. PA was not always my only focus, so there are 4 pre-reqs for me to complete before applying (A&P being 2 of them). Upon researching programs, I've come across several dual degree programs but was wondering if they actually consider applicants that already have a degree? Anyone have experience with any of these programs or just any knowledge in general? My thought process is that the time/money I would spend taking pre-reqs/boosting my application for a traditional MS program could just be spent in one of these 5 year programs...or maybe that wouldn't be the best idea?
      I work as a Physical Therapy Tech, so I've been attaining some PCH. My cum GPA is 3.2, while my sGPA is just over a 3.0, so I know those stats aren't the greatest. I scored a 312 on my GRE but will be trying again to boost my score. 
      Any feedback is greatly appreciated! 
    • By Kavitar27
      Hello, I am a student doing my bachelor's and was wondering if there are any PA in Long Island -preferably in Northwell or Winthrop hospital - that are willing to take a shadow on. I am trying to get my shadowing hours complete before starting CASPA. Thank You! 
    • By aspirationalaf
      Hi! This fall I will commence my undergraduate studies at SUNY Cortland and I'm pretty concerned with being prepared for applying to PA programs, especially in regards to obtaining direct patient care hours. I was doing research and there are programs in which their accepted candidates average or will have even have more than 4,000 hours. This is quite the daunting task considering I plan to be a full-time student over the next four years.
      As of now, I plan on being involved in the campus EMS squad where I will receive training and will be required to serve a minimum of two 12-hour shifts per semester. However, I will aim to serve at least 1 of these shifts every week. Do these volunteer hours count as direct patient care hours? Additionally, the squad will pay for my EMT-B training throughout this upcoming year's spring semester if I agree to volunteer for them for the two semesters of my sophomore year. Thus, I will be able to at least volunteer as an EMT-B over the next few summers as well.
      Cortland Regional Medical Center is also a five-minute drive from the university, so I will most likely be able to shadow and volunteer here, but they are not a teaching hospital so they do not often have training experiences.
      So my overarching question is how am I supposed to get the hours I need by the fall of my senior year when application season begins? Will I most likely have to accumulate hours for another year after my undergrad? Furthermore, are there any other positions I can seek to display diversity within the hours I accumulate, and are there any other pieces of advice you can offer me as I begin to plan?
      Thanks for all the help!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More