Retirement!! What NON-MEDICINE job would you like to do?

patient advocate.....

have thought of doing that now as perdiem

one question - would this be considered the practice of medicine - ie would I need a collaborating doc?  I would never order anything, would not give direct medical advice, only educate and advocate to the patient what their current situation is......

22 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

Now you are speaking my language. I am thinking about getting a high tunnel to grow one or two organic vegetables/fruits and sell to the local stores. What specialty farm are you wanting to own? 

With plant-based diets really taking off and the demand for organic produce, I think the sky's the limit. Question is do you want to grow something that interests you or something that is likely to be the next "superfood"?

I remember 7-8 years ago quinoa was still kind of an 'exotic' grain; most people had never heard of it. You had to go to the local hippie grocery store to find it. Now it's in ready-made meals, fast-food, everywhere. 

If I was only growing for pure pleasure, I'd have a cannabis farm (yep I said it). That demand is not going away and there is a lot you can do with it, but it's a highly competitive market and operating costs are high (lol). I also think an orchard would be cool, maybe have a few high tunnels like you said and rotate crops of berries, greens, etc that are in demand and sell them to local grocers.

12 minutes ago, BruceBanner said:

With plant-based diets really taking off and the demand for organic produce, I think the sky's the limit. Question is do you want to grow something that interests you or something that is likely to be the next "superfood"?

I remember 7-8 years ago quinoa was still kind of an 'exotic' grain; most people had never heard of it. You had to go to the local hippie grocery store to find it. Now it's in ready-made meals, fast-food, everywhere. 

If I was only growing for pure pleasure, I'd have a cannabis farm (yep I said it). That demand is not going away and there is a lot you can do with it, but it's a highly competitive market and operating costs are high (lol). I also think an orchard would be cool, maybe have a few high tunnels like you said and rotate crops of berries, greens, etc that are in demand and sell them to local grocers.

The cannabis idea is not going away and I agree with you, as well as CBD/hemp products. I would grow mushrooms, sweet potatoes and kale as we shop mostly at local health food stores (and spend ~$800-$1000/month), so cutting those cost would be great. We do have Redskin peach trees, Jonathan apples and some Elderberry plants, but not enough to sell. I do have 6 raised beds that will support my family and a few other families t/o the planting season (I do square foot gardening). I have been trying to talk my wife into it, but we have too many student loans at this time, but these are my hopes in the next several years. 

Teach AP American History to high school boys, by replicating the westward migration across America camping out and using woodsman skills during the excursions.If not operate a not for profit renovation/restoration shop n my garage. Meaning ,working on whatever item or project I want to with no timeline for completion.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:37 AM, CAdamsPAC said:

Teach AP American History to high school boys, by replicating the westward migration across America camping out and using woodsman skills during the excursions.If not operate a not for profit renovation/restoration shop n my garage. Meaning ,working on whatever item or project I want to with no timeline for completion.

Something like this?  Hopefully without the psychotic break, though.

download.jpg

I will be in my art studio painting away.  I took a 40 year break from my first love of art and am in the process of catching up....

BOY, do I have a lot to learn!!!!   And it is so much fun!!!

Archived