Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi There! 

Today I took my first GRE. 149 (42%) Verbal and 156 (62%) Quant. I have a solid GPA in both overall and science, both 3.6. I work as a medical scribe as well as a nurse assistant. I will have about 1000+ hours of experience by the time I apply for the 2018-2019 application cycle. Additionally, I have 50+ hours of PA shadowing. I have confirmed recommendation letters from a PA, MD and 2 upper level science course professors. I am currently in my gap year finishing up pre-reqs and trying to get as much patient care experience. I felt I was on a good track until todays GRE scores. I feel confident that I am in the 50th percentile at least on the writing portion (still pending score... also knock on wood). 

Need some opinions on whether my current GRE scores are a make or break for me. Combined 305, but don't have the often recommended 50th percentile in BOTH categories. 

Also, if you suggest retaking it... how do I improve on verbal? I have been studying for the GRE for about 3 weeks and really struggle with verbal, additionally I feel as if I run out of time. 

Help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this really will depend on the programs you plan to apply to and how much they weight the GRE. I do not think that the GRE alone will make or break your entire application. My general rule is there is no one component of your application that will completely make or break your application (besides meeting the minimum requirements) but it is mostly when multiple factors of your application start to stack up against you. That is where it becomes a problem. I don't see that happening based on the information you've given.

If you have the time, money and patience to retake it, then sure do it. But it isn't something that absolutely must happen. Just my opinion. If you do retake it, I really liked using Magoosh to study for the GRE :)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I improved from a 700 verbal (~97%ile) in 1992 to a 760 (99%ile) in 2008.  In the intervening years, I think the biggest contribution to that change was a year and a half of Greek, but I regularly wrote in the course of my career between those two GREs.  Will that help you? Not in the short term, no, but it IS evidence that even good scores can get better with appropriate training...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest hcruz496

I recommend getting the manhattan prep  vocabulary flash cards for the gre from amazon. You could also start reading the New York Times or the Post, just read random articles you find to challenge your vocabulary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pastudentw said:

I think this really will depend on the programs you plan to apply to and how much they weight the GRE. I do not think that the GRE alone will make or break your entire application. My general rule is there is no one component of your application that will completely make or break your application (besides meeting the minimum requirements) but it is mostly when multiple factors of your application start to stack up against you. That is where it becomes a problem. I don't see that happening based on the information you've given.

If you have the time, money and patience to retake it, then sure do it. But it isn't something that absolutely must happen. Just my opinion. If you do retake it, I really liked using Magoosh to study for the GRE :)

Thanks so much for your response! I think I will wait until I get my writing score and if that isn’t 50%ile or above I will retake it. 

How do I figure out how heavy a program weighs the GRE? Som me school sites say they don’t require it, so that’s a give away that it’s not necessary. However, for schools that recommend 50%ile, how would I find out how heavy the GRE weights? 

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rev ronin said:

I improved from a 700 verbal (~97%ile) in 1992 to a 760 (99%ile) in 2008.  In the intervening years, I think the biggest contribution to that change was a year and a half of Greek, but I regularly wrote in the course of my career between those two GREs.  Will that help you? Not in the short term, no, but it IS evidence that even good scores can get better with appropriate training...

That’s true! What an improvement! I will gladly take your 1992 score since you’re not using it any more! Haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paali said:

Thanks so much for your response! I think I will wait until I get my writing score and if that isn’t 50%ile or above I will retake it. 

How do I figure out how heavy a program weighs the GRE? Som me school sites say they don’t require it, so that’s a give away that it’s not necessary. However, for schools that recommend 50%ile, how would I find out how heavy the GRE weights? 

Thanks!!

I would say that you can get a feel for how important the GRE is to a school just by their admission requirements. If they list a minimum required score, then obviously you need to meet the minimum but hopefully surpass it. If the school lists their average accepted applicant stats, you can look at those to see where your application fits in with their accepted applicants.

If a school just says you need to take the GRE but has no other requirements, it may not be that important to them in the whole scheme of things.

If you really want to know, I'm sure you could call or email their admissions dept to ask them about the GRE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think a score below the 50th percentile is just another reason for a program to not accept you, especially if they are strict on their guidelines or explicitly state all scores should be above the 50th percentile. personally i wouldn't risk it, even though there are success stories, and just re-take the exam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, modernlily16 said:

i think a score below the 50th percentile is just another reason for a program to not accept you, especially if they are strict on their guidelines or explicitly state all scores should be above the 50th percentile. personally i wouldn't risk it, even though there are success stories, and just re-take the exam.

Definitely! All of the schools that I am planning on applying too that require GRE either don't have a minimum posted. But some say "Strong/ competitive candidates are in the 50th%ile in all categories" 

I totally agree with you though. Why risk it being a reason I don't get in somewhere?

Thanks for the input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think a retake is crucial for your application unless you are applying to programs that put a greater emphasis on the GRE. I was obsessed with Magoosh (I swear they are not paying me haha) and would highly reccomend it to anyone. I did the 6 month study plan and scored well above the 50th percentile in both sections. If you plan on retaking, figure out what your weakness are in verbal. Is it vocabulary? Fill in the blank question? Reading comprehension? I studied using GRE vocab flash cards and doing countless reading comprehension problems which were the question type I missed most often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2018 at 3:17 PM, dthum said:

wow 

I also got accepted with many interviews and my quant score was around the 32nd percentile. My verbal was very high and my overall score was over the 300 mark. GRE definitely isn't everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 6:02 AM, paali said:

That’s true! What an improvement! I will gladly take your 1992 score since you’re not using it any more! Haha. 

Heh, sorry.  I've tried to teach people how to approach standardized tests, but I haven't yet succeeded.  I score ridiculously well on standardized tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Similar Content

    • By aksidoti
      Hi everyone! I knew that Duke's supplemental application would be a beast, but I was just curious if anyone had experience with the patient care and shadowing tabs? Here is what I am struggling with: 
      - PATIENT CARE: can the description be the same as on my CASPA? And what exactly should I be putting for the agreeable and disagreeable aspects of my responsibilities? 
      - Shadowing: can I put the same descriptions as my CASPA? 
      Thanks guys! Best of luck to everyone!
    • By murphy2020
      I am applying to a school that has an August 1st deadline, so I want to submit my application by July 1st to make sure it has time to clear. I have yet to take the GRE. I called CASPA and they said I am able to submit my application to the school but just insert the date and number of the verification code of the GRE I am signed up for. Has anyone submitted an application and had their GRE score uploaded during the clearing process?
    • By jaderiv
      I thought I would start this thread since CWRU is one of my top choices! I have not submitted my application yet, but I plan to do so middle July. Good luck everyone!
    • By emt12
      Looking for advice/opinions from people with more knowledge and experience with CASPA. I took the GRE 5/25/19, 2 out of 3 recommendation letters are in. Basically, everything on CASPA is ready except GRE and the 1 letter. Do I go ahead and submit CASPA before I send them my GRE scores? Or wait until after? 
    • By Habb31719
      I wanted to know if anyone could add any input on this; 
      I had requested a PA for a letter of evaluation. He was happy to agree to give one. I also had sent him a copy of my resume just because I thought that was the appropriate thing to do. 
      last week at work him had mentioned two things... he had brought it up to me that I didn't have my GPA posted on my resume and asked if if I was planning to put it on my resume. he also started asking me things like "do you want me to just not address GPA at all then?". So, for the copy of the resume I had sent to her, I didn't put my GPA in because I didn't think it was going to be helpful (my undergrad is a 3.35 which is not competitive) The whole purpose of sending him a 1 page resume was so that he could know a little more of what I have done in undergrad; like, have a little more amount of information of who I am outside of scribing. (I've been a scribe for about 9 months; about 5 of those months have been heavily involved with this particular PA, so although we haven't had many conversations personally its not like I am a stranger to him 
      The other thing that he requested is if I had personal statement finished. I will sincerely admit, I am quite behind on the application process as my personal statement still has work to do; I told him it's still being written. He asked if she should have a summary of it or something like that so he has more details to flesh out his evaluation letter. 
      I told her I would email her about the GPA issue and the personal statement summary because he was asking out loud in front of the other doctors and employees in the nurses station and I was a little shy to answer. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting him to ask those questions.
      So here is what I was asking: 
      1. Should I have 3.35 on my resume at all? (I was a public health major)
      2. Is giving a personal statement/summary super necessary for you LOR evaluators? Because I really have alot more to do on my PS so I'm not sure how I can make a good summary in a short amount of time to give him; as well as the other evaluators.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More