chances/advice??

Hi everyone! Curious what everyones opinions are of my chances of getting in this upcoming cycle. I applied to 4 schools this past cycle with all rejections and no interviews, I ended up submitting in September 2017 and had about 1,000 hours of pt care then.

3.7 overall GPA 3.4 science

2,700 patient care hours varying from being a CNA in a nursing home, MA at an ENT clinic and now an MA at a dermatology office

306 GRE, 149, 49% verbal, 157, 66% quant and 4.5writing  but I am retaking this upcoming april after taking a 3 month Kaplan course hoping to raise my score especially in the verbal section

30 hours shadowing various PAs, ortho, cardio, pulmonology, pediatrics

3 LOR, 2 from PAs that I work with and 1 MD that I work with

over 300 hours of volunteering, I have been on 3 medical mission trips to Honduras with some leadership experience as well

500+ hours as a research assistant in a clinical pathophysiology lab and as a research assistant in the ER

I am planning on submitting in May, as I feel that my lower amount of PCE and late submission was what resulted in my rejections.  I am 22 years old, one year out of graduation, and currently work full time as an MA.  I have since taken an upper level physiology class to allow myself to apply to more schools, taken a Kaplan GRE class to help improve my score, and informed myself so much more on the PA profession than my knowledge was a year ago. I am a member of AAPA now and the two PAs that I work with have been such a help guiding me through this experience. Just wanted some thoughts on my chances of acceptance this upcoming cycle are, and just overall advice on what I can do to further help my chances or tips on how to prepare for any anticipated interviews say I make it that far.

Thank you all!!!

Your stats look great, very similar to mine and I am 22 as well! I was accepted this cycle so I don't see your stats being whats holding you back. I would focus on the GRE, applying to a few more schools, applying early and making sure your personal statement and LORs are amazing! Sounds like you have set yourself up for some better news this time around!

Good luck :) 

ps Andrew rodican's book on the PA school interview was extremely helpful for me! I had 3 interviews and almost every question I was asked was in that book!

Apply early as you are already planning. Think about potentially retaking the GRE, get that verbal score north of 150 and make sure your personal statement is attention grabbing. Make sure it speaks to who you are and your motivation, think about an experience you have had that solidified your decision to go for PA and talk about that.

Really focus on your personal statement and maybe re-evaluate your LORs. Apart from that, maybe shadow a bit more and really focus on practicing for your interviews. Most people will tell you to apply earlier in the cycle. I applied in early August and had 4 interview invites, though I understand many programs will start interviews in the summer. Good luck!

Archived