NCEMPA

Question about pay: switching from full time to PRN

For those working in EM that have moved from a full-time hourly rate to a PRN hourly rate at the same facility and same position, what is a reasonable increase in pay to ask for? I've been there for about 5 years full time (also haven't had a raise in 3 years). I know what other EM PRN gigs pay in my area, but my question is specifically how much more to expect when transitioning in the same position. Thanks in advance!

I'm just a new grad so take it for what it's worth but I was offered a full time job at a place but ended up signing up for PRN. The PRN pay was $10 more an hour. 

My PRN gigs pay approximately 50% more than my base salary at my full time job. One has incentive pay based on how busy it is on a given day and can be as much as double my base pay rate at my full time job. 

Wow. I have a feeling I'll be lucky to even get 10% (and it's a pretty good benefits package that I'm leaving). Thanks for the feedback. I'll push for a bit more after hearing this.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By SEMPA
      SEMPA is excited to roll out its new Mentoring Program specifically created for PAs new to emergency medicine; PA students interested in launching their career; or any seasoned emergency medicine PAs looking to advance and expand their profession and practice.

How it works is that you fill out the online application and we match you with an experienced PA who can help guide your career. SEMPA mentors have years of experience in all types of ED settings and they have a wide variety of specialty interests. We will do our utmost best to match you with someone based on your profile and/or the specifics you give us so that you can get the most out of your mentoring experience.

A SEMPA mentor can help with:
      Finding a job, preparing for a job interview and navigating contracts Understanding what emergency medicine educational resources are available What you can expect from the specialty Tips and tricks in making it through your shifts Guidance on moving up in emergency medicine Leadership development for new EMPA leaders And much more!
      Any SEMPA member is eligible to apply for a mentor through the SEMPA Mentoring Program. All you need is a desire to advance your career with the assistance of a mentor.

Learn more and apply today! Get started here.
    • By classic24
      Can anyone tell me hourly rates for ER locums work, particularly for an experienced PA?  I have been ER PA for 21 years, negotiating locums 1099 agreement.  Current W2 rate is $80/hr
      Thx in advance for your reply 
    • By SEMPA
      SEMPA Ultrasound Courses
      November 8-10, 2019
      Huntington Beach, CA
      https://www.sempa.org/education/ultrasound-huntingtonbeach/
      January 27-28, 2020
      Jacksonville, FL
      https://www.sempa.org/education/ultrasound-jacksonville/
      The SEMPA Ultrasound Courses will provide point-of-care ultrasound training to physician assistants working in emergency medicine. Didactic sessions will focus on concise, useful information, images, and video. Most importantly, participants will have the opportunity to learn the necessary skills through hands-on teaching and practice on live models under the guidance of experienced faculty.
      Due to the popularity of this course, we will be offering two courses this winter.
      Choose the course that works best for you and register today!
    • By SEMPA
      2019 SEMPA Emergency Procedures Course
      Oct 7-8, 2019
      Jacksonville, Florida
      - 10.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits
      - All procedures performed on high fidelity simulators
      Airway management (direct laryngoscopy, video laryngoscopy, rescue devices) Lumbar puncture (with and without ultrasound guidance) Arthrocentesis (with and without ultrasound guidance) Intraosseous vascular access Central venous access (internal jugular, subclavian, femoral; with and without ultrasound guidance) Tube thoracostomy Needle decompression Paracentesis (with and without ultrasound guidance) Thoracentesis (with and without ultrasound guidance) Peritonsillar abscess drainage Arterial line placement - Procedural anatomy demonstration on human cadavers (limited hands-on)
      This course is expected to fill quickly so sign up now as registration is limited!
      https://sempa.org/education/procedures/

• By pajourney1
      Hello Fellow EM colleagues,
      I am a new graduate who will be starting in the emergency department this month. I am extremely excited to return to the ED after having worked in the ED as a technician for 6 years. I am looking for any recommendations on studying material, reference books, bootcamps etc anything that will help begin my career in EM. Thank you so much for any feedback!!!

-New Grad 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More