Front page of USA Today this morning...wow.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:47 AM, camoman1234 said:

No, I do not have the knowledge of a MD/DO and most likely never will, but I sure can strive to learn as much as I can by talking with other APP/physicians, CME, conferences, etc. 

Some people want to be PA's and are professionally fulfilled practicing as PA's. Some people need to do the MD/DO thing to feel that professional satisfaction. I think there are a good number of people who thought they were in camp A that learn through experience that they really belong to the latter. I know plenty of PA's that wish they had gone to med school, as well as several doctors that would have chosen PA if offered the chance again...(also MANY physicians that wouldn't have chosen medicine at all if they could do it again)

I'm as pro-PA as they come, but IMO, increasing the opportunities for practicing PA's to chase career (and thereby personal) contentment only bolsters the profession. I am ecstatic about becoming a PA, but one of my biggest considerations before applying was "am I going to regret not going to medical school in 20 years?" 

I made my choice, but In many ways I think that if a transition option existed, it would increase the attractiveness of the profession to people who weren't positive which way to go. As stated, options to increase scope and depth of practice are never bad things for patients or for individuals. 

just my 2c. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, camoman1234 said:

All PAs should join their state chapters and get involved instead of crying and whining cause they want to be a doctor (if that is the case then go to medical school and stop trying to make a shortcut for yourself).    

What is it you're hoping to accomplish by insulting colleagues who wish to obtain further training? Furthermore, how is going to PA school for two years, working for X amount of years as a PA and then gaining acceptance into medical school a 'shortcut'? 

You scoffing at the folks who desire further medical training and insulting them in the process is the opposite of PA profession advocacy you're harping on. Pigeon-holing entire groups of individuals whom you've never met and know nothing about is about as counter-productive as the anti-PA sentiments shared on various NP and physician forums.

Guest HanSolo

I'm pretty sure there will be a bridge program PA---MD in the future because there likely will be a demand for it. Market forces at play. I probably wouldn't do it, but I would support its creation. LECOM already exists. Perhaps the greatest limiting factor is the number of available residency slots. 

I'm pretty sure there will be a bridge program PA---MD in the future because there likely will be a demand for it. Market forces at play. I probably wouldn't do it, but I would support its creation. LECOM already exists. Perhaps the greatest limiting factor is the number of available residency slots. 

What I really like is that both LECOM, and the DMS programs are tailored specifically for PA’s only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, HanSolo said:

I don't know about market forces.  I mean, I hope there will be more bridging programs but if there are, it won't be about market forces.  

Why?  Because if there is a choice, medical schools would rather create four year tuition paying slots rather than an accelerated program where they make less.  It's not like the schools are hurting for medical student applications. Everyone is going to fill their class no matter what. 

If there are more bridging programs, it'll be because there is a some type of pressure to create them.  

I've elaborated on this before so I won't do it again but don't worry about a lack of residency spots. There are plenty for US grads. 

Guest HanSolo
3 hours ago, lkth487 said:

Why?  Because if there is a choice, medical schools would rather create four year tuition paying slots rather than an accelerated program where they make less.  It's not like the schools are hurting for medical student applications. Everyone is going to fill their class no matter what. 

That's a good point. Perhaps it was just more wishful thinking on my part. 

10 hours ago, beattie228 said:

What is it you're hoping to accomplish by insulting colleagues who wish to obtain further training? Furthermore, how is going to PA school for two years, working for X amount of years as a PA and then gaining acceptance into medical school a 'shortcut'? 

You scoffing at the folks who desire further medical training and insulting them in the process is the opposite of PA profession advocacy you're harping on. Pigeon-holing entire groups of individuals whom you've never met and know nothing about is about as counter-productive as the anti-PA sentiments shared on various NP and physician forums.

Wow...you are a little over dramatic. I am not insulting anyone. I am about further the PA profession and not leaving it cause I am unhappy. Let's make the PA profession better as we have been doing (at a slower rate compared to NPs), NOT leaving the profession as a whole to become MD/DOs (which is fine if you want that, but most people I have talked to do not want that). They want better laws for PAs and not to be ran over by the NPs as we are seeing today. Yes it is a short cut (LECOM) that is the WHOLE point of the program... Going from a PA to DO is not pigeon-holing anyone, it is LEAVING the profession. I am tired of seeing state laws being passed yearly for NPs and not PAs. This is the type of stuff I am speaking of, the DNP is ruining PAs as all the NPs are gaining ground on administrative roles, practice laws, taking jobs from PAs, etc. There are numerous people on this forum that have spoken about NPs leaving us in the dust and some voiced about becoming an NP so they can have the great opportunities that NPs live with daily. I know our education is BETTER than NPs, but the majority of people think NPs are better than PAs and that is killing our profession. I wish we could get more DMSc programs and residency programs that would help our practice laws. I am supporting the PA profession as I do want more education/knowledge, staged independence (OTP), and respect from all parties. I am NOT here to insult anyone or make them feel bad if they want to become a MD/DO, I just wish more people would support the PA profession as I know we are crucial to this dying health care system.  

Archived