NPs are cornering the Hospitalist market

Been looking around for a new hospitalist PA job in Oregon and Washington.  Unfortunately, it seems a good portion of the jobs that are out there are only open to NPs.  I have asked if I could apply and they stated that they only are accepting NP applications for the position due to the supervision.  I interviewed at one hospital and it seemed to go well but some friends of mine that work there said the NPs are encouraging the docs and admin to only have NPs on the service.  The hospital by-laws were even set up in preference of NPs.  They do not require cosignature on orders and notes while the bylaws requires cosign of all PA orders and notes by an MD.

Is this happening in other areas of the country as well?  Ive looked at other states and there are some posiitons open.  When I look at the hospital website, I am still amazed at how NP dominant it actually is.

Maybe try looking at some of the national co tract companies and see what there postings are.  In my area PAs are actually gaining a foot hold in a few areas like hospital medicine.  To me these stories of PAs being looked over or denied due to beirocratic and inter facility politics is yet another reason my more PAs need to get into admin.

• 3 weeks later...

No, we are about 50/50 where I work. NPs definitely have more bodies in upper upper management and leadership, but even our supervisors are about split between PAs and NPs.

You should check out the job boards at a local PA school. They usually have leads.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 3:02 PM, pilot1974 said:

Been looking around for a new hospitalist PA job in Oregon and Washington.  Unfortunately, it seems a good portion of the jobs that are out there are only open to NPs.  I have asked if I could apply and they stated that they only are accepting NP applications for the position due to the supervision.  I interviewed at one hospital and it seemed to go well but some friends of mine that work there said the NPs are encouraging the docs and admin to only have NPs on the service.  The hospital by-laws were even set up in preference of NPs.  They do not require cosignature on orders and notes while the bylaws requires cosign of all PA orders and notes by an MD.

Is this happening in other areas of the country as well?  Ive looked at other states and there are some posiitons open.  When I look at the hospital website, I am still amazed at how NP dominant it actually is.

MultiCare in the Tacoma area is hiring, as is CHI Francican (not sure what region you're looking at)

Centralia (tiny town) just posted an opening and Gray's Harbor normally has a position fairly regularly popping open.

Guess what I'm getting at is there are definitely quite a few inpatient PA gigs out there

With that being said I'm the only PA in all of critical care at my system...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...