Low gpa and experience

I am planning applying this upcoming cycle (2018-19) and am generally concerned with my standing... I am hoping someone with experience in either applying, or actual PA student, can guide me in the right direction to ensure interviews/admission to a program!  Here are my experiences/grades

QGPA: 3.6; science GPA: 3.42

HCE: medical assistant in ER 2500+ hrs

shadowing PA's: 200+ hrs

Teaching experience: Anatomy TA (2 semesters), Organic Chemistry tutor (3 semesters), Business course TA (1 semester)

Research: Organics and Bio-materials at University at Buffalo

Misc: founding father of national fraternity at my undergraduate college, volunteer EMT (150+hrs) 

I would appreciate any criticism, because I think my chances are pretty mediocre...  Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Jchen14 said:

I don’t think a 3.6 cGPA and 3.42 sGPA is considered low. I think it’s pretty average as long as you meet the prereq grades for the courses that you’re interested in applying to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!  Do you have any idea if school include science classes that are not required when calculating your science GPA? (ex:physics) 

14 hours ago, Mtalex93 said:

Thank you!  Do you have any idea if school include science classes that are not required when calculating your science GPA? (ex:physics) 

Yes, basic sciences classes are all included, physics, chem, bio, etc. You look pretty good at now from applicant standing, GPA is fine and HCE is average. Make sure you look at class profiles and averages for schools you are applying to. For example, some schools like medex or others have like 6000 HCE hours on average so make sure to apply to schools that your stats are in line with. By the time you apply you should have well over 3000 hours which will make you competitive most places. 

On 2/12/2018 at 5:48 PM, Mtalex93 said:

I am planning applying this upcoming cycle (2018-19) and am generally concerned with my standing... I am hoping someone with experience in either applying, or actual PA student, can guide me in the right direction to ensure interviews/admission to a program!  Here are my experiences/grades

QGPA: 3.6; science GPA: 3.42

HCE: medical assistant in ER 2500+ hrs

shadowing PA's: 200+ hrs

Teaching experience: Anatomy TA (2 semesters), Organic Chemistry tutor (3 semesters), Business course TA (1 semester)

Research: Organics and Bio-materials at University at Buffalo

Misc: founding father of national fraternity at my undergraduate college, volunteer EMT (150+hrs) 

I would appreciate any criticism, because I think my chances are pretty mediocre...  Thank you!

Hi Mtalex93,

Your numbers will get you in most of the PA programs. It just depends on how you sell it on your personal statements and during your interviews (pretty sure you will get some). Most schools like to see an upward trend in your grades (freshman-->Soph-->Junior-->senior). Also try to apply to schools that have history of accepting students with similar stats to you. Best of Luck,

• 2 weeks later...

Your stats look almost identical to mine except I did TA/dissection only in anatomy and have additional military background.  I would focus on perfecting your personal statement and highlighting what makes you stand out among all the other applicants.  Become an expert on your favorite schools.  Read recent news articles and faculty bios for those programs to gain further insight.

good luck!

Archived