Hello All, 

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I looked around and couldn't find an answer to my question: how do admissions view multiple W's on transcript? Obviously it's not favorable, but how bad is it?

Background: I'm almost 30 and got my B.A. at 21 from a CC + Uni. At the time, I dropped a few classes I found boring, too time consuming, too difficult, etc. I didn't think much of it as I was able to successfully complete my degree. Fast forward to today, I'm more than 1/2-way done with my pre-reqs for PA school. I had to drop Anatomy last year (taken at local CC) because I got the flu and I missed over 2 weeks of class. However, I retook this class this year, same prof, and got an A. 

Problem: I'm currently enrolled in Physiology at same CC which is taught in semesters. However, I will not be able to make the application cycle this time around because I still have Microbiology to take and at least 2 other classes. I want to drop my current physiology class and take it in an accredited but accelerated program where I will have the chance (for a much higher tuition) to take multiple classes in the next several months. 

Should I do it? My current physio class, although interesting, won't end until end of May. Teacher is highly demanding, very poor at lecture, and absolutely condescending and absent during labs. He's also harsh on grading, doesn't curve/round and doesn't offer any extra credit.  

If you will receive a poor grade, I would drop it, as long as it doesn't count as a W. Keep in mind you probably won't get all tuition back for that class if you drop it a few weeks in. Also FWIW- extra credit shouldn't be a thing in college, thats something for high school, curves are common but are teacher dependent. 

2 hours ago, SCHW9076 said:

I had like 5+ Ws. Wasn't a problem. Good luck OP. 

Thank you! That’s encouraging and makes me feel better! 

6 hours ago, JD2012 said:

I had 3 W's on my transcript, albeit earlier in my college career.  Just make sure that when the time comes if they ask about them during an interview you don't make excuses and have a justifiable reason; which you do.

Thank you for the response! Yes, I would be able to explain them without making excuses :) I’m still thinking about it though... 

2 hours ago, PA-SGuy said:

If you will receive a poor grade, I would drop it, as long as it doesn't count as a W. Keep in mind you probably won't get all tuition back for that class if you drop it a few weeks in. Also FWIW- extra credit shouldn't be a thing in college, thats something for high school, curves are common but are teacher dependent. 

Thanks for the response PA-SGuy! The problem is I would get a W but at this moment, the W looks better to me than to stay with it for another 3 months when I can have around 3 more classes completed. 

I know it shouldn’t be a thing in college but I know plenty of people who at least get curves and/or EC. My Anatomy teacher did the same thing and we went down to 5ppl in the class. I know they’re hard classes getting us prepared for our careers but we truly had one of the lowest passing rate from all of the local CC (I live in SoCal). 

Anyways, I’m happy to be learning and to being challenged! 

36 minutes ago, MishaShisha said:

Thanks for the response PA-SGuy! The problem is I would get a W but at this moment, the W looks better to me than to stay with it for another 3 months when I can have around 3 more classes completed. 

I know it shouldn’t be a thing in college but I know plenty of people who at least get curves and/or EC. My Anatomy teacher did the same thing and we went down to 5ppl in the class. I know they’re hard classes getting us prepared for our careers but we truly had one of the lowest passing rate from all of the local CC (I live in SoCal). 

Anyways, I’m happy to be learning and to being challenged! 

So if you get a W for this class, you will take another 3 classes during the time you would have completed the 1 phys class? I suppose that would be more beneficial, however, just be prepared to explain to admission committee if they ask but they might not ask. Also, maybe re-evaluate how you are studying or don't be afraid to seek school resources/tutors (sometimes they're free) to help if you need it. Becoming a tutor, if you have the time, can also help reinforce material you've learned because you have to teach it to others. Just a thought. Good luck in your studies!

2 hours ago, PA-SGuy said:

So if you get a W for this class, you will take another 3 classes during the time you would have completed the 1 phys class? I suppose that would be more beneficial, however, just be prepared to explain to admission committee if they ask but they might not ask. Also, maybe re-evaluate how you are studying or don't be afraid to seek school resources/tutors (sometimes they're free) to help if you need it. Becoming a tutor, if you have the time, can also help reinforce material you've learned because you have to teach it to others. Just a thought. Good luck in your studies!

Technically, yes. The CC class started mid-Jan and won't end until 5/23. The accelerated program offers 4-5 week classes which, although insanely tough, would allow me to complete more pre-reqs. 

I'm really hoping to be accepted to Marshall B. Ketchum's program and I see their early application is due September 1st while regular is November 1st. Either ways, doing Microbio w/ my regular CC during the summer would be pushing it since the class would end late August and there's no way they would give me an official trans. by Sept. 1st. ... 

It wouldn't hurt to take a step back and analyze things. You are right in that you wouldn't get a official transcript in time for that program. How many pre-reqs do you have left? Some schools only allow 1-2 pre-reqs to be in progress as you have probably run into. How does the rest of your app look? Cum GPA? HCE? It's not the worst thing in the world to take things slow, spread classes over a regular semester length and rack up HCE while aceing those classes. Seems like you might be trying to do a lot in those summer months taking accelerated classes + asking for LOR + writing personal statement + writing statements for each school that requires one + looking up schools that would be a good fit, this all takes a lot of time so just don't want you overwhelm yourself and do poorly in classes. 

All the best.

I appreciate that, PA-SGuy. 

I haven't calculated my science GPA but my undergrad GPA is a 3.8 and I have one B in BIO1 with all A's in other pre-requisites. For HCE, I have 2.5 years as a Medical Assistant. I've shadowed a chiropractor and acupuncturist (if that even counts for anything) and I've shadowed a nurse, a PA, and 2 other MDs. I will have LORs from the MD that employed me, 2 professors, and possibly current employer (although not sure if that'll work since i'm currently a live-in nanny). I also did AmeriCorps as a City Year (if that counts for anything) and have some substantial volunteer/community service experience (again, I don't know if that means a lot for PA Admins).

I've been w/ this CC for 2 years; first time w/ the semester system, and I'm running out of patience w/ how slow things are going. I really want to apply this year b'c my MA experience ended last Spring and I'm afraid if I wait another year, it will be old. I will try to volunteer this year, once i'm done w/ classes, in medical field. 

Thank you for the input! It helps to hear someone else's opinions ideas. :)

Archived