Anyone accepted with C's?

I am wondering how likely acceptance is with 3 Cs on my transcript. I got a C in gen chem 1, but then got a B in gen chem 2. When I got to organic chem i finished with a C in both orgo 1 and 2, but then I took orgo lab a year later and got a B. With my current situation, I am unable to retake any of those courses, so I wanted to know if others have gotten in with low grades like that. Also, my cGPA is a 3.49 and sGPA is 3.14, I have ~2,700 HCE hours, 80 shadowing hours, and ~350 volunteer hours with a medical mission trip included.

Chances?  

I was accepted.  Organic Chemistry I and II, Cs.  General Chemistry I and II, Cs.  Classical Physics, C.

A decade later I retook Organic Chemistry I and II and got As, retook General Chemistry I and got an A.  Then took some other classes and got all As.  

My GPAs are similar to yours.  Chances are good if I was accepted.  Keep the hope alive!

13 minutes ago, Ket131 said:

I was accepted.  Organic Chemistry I and II, Cs.  General Chemistry I and II, Cs.  Classical Physics, C.

A decade later I retook Organic Chemistry I and II and got As, retook General Chemistry I and got an A.  Then took some other classes and got all As.  

My GPAs are similar to yours.  Chances are good if I was accepted.  Keep the hope alive!

So you retook those classes before you got accepted?

30 minutes ago, emily1016 said:

So you retook those classes before you got accepted?

I was in the process of retaking Organic Chemistry I and II when I applied this past cycle.  Those As have not been added to my CASPA c/sGPAs.  

The only retake the PA program I was accepted to saw was the General Chemistry I.  So essentially all they see is that I have a bunch of Cs in those classes listed above.  I will be sending in a new transcripts soon, but I have not been asked to send them.

Couple C's won't hurt, as long as you have been trending upwards in your grades you should be fine. No point in retaking them to raise GPA, taking new upper level sciences will be WAY more beneficial use of your time and money. New upper level courses raise your GPA more if you do well and shows committees your ability to handle hard course work (physiology, advanced anatomy, pharmacology, etc). Keep racking up HCE and you should be fine. The ONLY reason to retake a class would be if your dream school required a "B" in the course or something.

Organic Chem 1 - F    Retook - B+

Gen Chem 1 and 2 - I had a C in one lab and on the other a C in lecture

Genetics - C+

Bio 1 lab - C

Later in my undergraduate my grades were more consistent. I also took post-bacc classes and got A's.  It's all about the upward trend.  I got accepted to my dream school on my second cycle. 3.2GPA for both science and cumulative.

As you can see, a couple of C's will not hurt your chances. Personally, it would bother me to have my science GPA at a 3.14. Take a few more classes and get it into the 3.2 range if you can.  It is one of the things I improved for my second cycle.  At the same time though, you have a good cGPA, although with my OCD a 3.49 would bother me instead of having a 3.50.

Archived