New PA Grad Dermatology Contract Negotiation

Hello All,

I am graduating in July and am starting to look into contract negotiation and will take any advise I can get.

I just completed a rotation in dermatology and got an "unofficial" job offer. I want to move forward with it and want to arm myself with the tools necessary to negotiate a contract.

My first question is SALARY negotiation. Yes, I know this is a hard question to answer without knowing the other benefits. I really don't know much logistics with this particular practice, or really any as a matter of fact. Here is what I do know, its a private practice (1 of 20) that is owned by ONE physician- pretty impressive! I would be working with one other physician in this particular practice. I would be doing general & cosmetic dermatology. So, what would be a reasonable starting salary if there were no benefits offered?

Any tips or advice would be so helpful. 

Thank you! :) 

Can't really give any numbers because derm is often different from many other specialties.  From my understanding, it is not uncommon to be paid a bit lower salary during a training period where you really are in somewhat of a residency not necessarily seeing patients on your own.  Then your salary somewhat explodes after that.  May want to consult the 2017 salary report from AAPA, but it really isn't perfect.

Depends on where you work, but figure a salary without any other benefits is roughly a W2 salary times 1.3, at a minimum  

However, you shouldn’t accept a 1099 job straight out school as your first gig. 1099 means you are purely labor to them, and you’re likely to get treated as such. Find a practice that is vested in your growth. 

Archived