Online Genetics course

I need some honest reviews about taking genetics online from university of phoneix. I have done some extensive research and came to conclude that the best options were either university of Phoenix (http://www.phoenix.edu/courses/bio410.html) or course from Central Michigan university. I have tried to research some reviews for both of these courses on ratemyprofessor and other website but my search ended in vain. I need a course that i can finish online so that i can apply this cycle. 

I would greatly appreciate input on this topic. Thanks. 

Why do you need to take genetics?  I don't think any school requires it.  I would stay away from all those for-profit schools.  If you actually want to learn genetics, just use Khan Academy or better find a way to take it at least at a community college. 

I would only take one of those online or for-profit courses if you absolutely needed the credit to move forward.

12 minutes ago, PA2020Candidate said:

Why do you need to take genetics?  I don't think any school requires it.  I would stay away from all those for-profit schools.  If you actually want to learn genetics, just use Khan Academy or better find a way to take it at least at a community college. 

I would only take one of those online or for-profit courses if you absolutely needed the credit to move forward.

Some schools do require Genetics. I know the schools I applied to this semester required it. But I definitely agree with taking it at a community college. It'll be cheap there too.

1 minute ago, KierstynJFuturePA said:

Some schools do require Genetics. I know the schools I applied to this semester required it. But I definitely agree with taking it at a community college. It'll be cheap there too.

I absolutely require this course as a pre-requisite. I have verified with them and they will accept any of the above mentioned online courses. 

I took my genetics course online through my local CC. I agree with the advices above, if you have to take them, CC is a better option. If you have a hard time finding the class check the one I went to in So Cal. Given this might be out of state for you and I don't know how expensive that will be. Just an option if nothing works. Saddleback College is where I took my class. 

Hi all, I'm new here but in the same boat! All schools I want to apply to require genetics (3 hours). It's the only class I don't have and one school says I have to have the course complete before I can apply so I'd like to get it done asap! I've seen the University of Phoenix one and am drawn to it because it's a 5 week course, I'm just hesitant due to the stigma associated and I can't get a clear answer from admissions. Additionally, there is also UNE or UC Berkeley but the reviews do not seem great for either (if you have experienced otherwise please let me know). Through perusing some old threads, I did come across metropolitan community college which offers genetics online for a great price, but it's semester based and wouldn't be over until the end of may...I had hoped to have applications done by then! Any advice?

On 2/8/2018 at 3:34 PM, egrace said:

Hi all, I'm new here but in the same boat! All schools I want to apply to require genetics (3 hours). It's the only class I don't have and one school says I have to have the course complete before I can apply so I'd like to get it done asap! I've seen the University of Phoenix one and am drawn to it because it's a 5 week course, I'm just hesitant due to the stigma associated and I can't get a clear answer from admissions. Additionally, there is also UNE or UC Berkeley but the reviews do not seem great for either (if you have experienced otherwise please let me know). Through perusing some old threads, I did come across metropolitan community college which offers genetics online for a great price, but it's semester based and wouldn't be over until the end of may...I had hoped to have applications done by then! Any advice?

I agree with your research UNE or UC Berkeley have terrible reviews. I have heard that central Michigan offers this course and the teacher has a lot of course load and is super detail oriented. But other than that it looks like a good course you can even access their syllabus online. helps with organizing your schedule. I would suggest contacting one of the pa students at the program you are looking in to applying and asking them about how they were able to fulfill their course requirement it will tell you if they accept certain coursework. It can be frustrating if you cannot get the admissions committee to help you out in at least telling you if they will accept certain coursework. I so wish they would have started evaluating transcripts it would help prospective pa students tremendously adding more work and time on their side though. 

Depending on just how quickly you need it, University of South Carolina Upstate offers genetics online during maymester each year. I took it and it was incredibly doable. The only down side is that the school isnt set up like some of these other universities to easily let students take just a single course there. You have to apply to the school to take the course, at least I did when I looked in to it. But it was a very doable course. 

Archived