2018 HSCP Applicant

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke with three recruiters early February with regard to both HPSP and HSCP.  The Navy recruiters both said the quotas have been filled for the previous cycle HSCP although it hadn't closed yet.  If I understand correctly, 2018 applications wont be accepted until closer to the end of the year.

Curious what recruiter you are working with and if they gave you solid info.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to and was accepted to HSCP for the 2017 FY. I submitted my package in early January (had some repeat medical that needed to be done that delayed it), and heard in February 2017 that I was an alternate.

I was then contacted in April/May 2017 and told that someone had backed out, and that I was the first alternate, so I was accepted! For FY 17 I was told that there were 17 slots, but I'm not sure for FY 18. Good luck, and remember, you could still be selected even as an alternate!

• Upvote 1

Right, Im sure OP has a solid shot at an alternate spot like yourself.  Perhaps I just misunderstood the recruiters' and heard, "applications are closed" instead of "quotas are full".  Also, I would imagine a lot of med recruiters likely don't want to waste their time on a long-shot late applicant like myself. 

I'll be waiting until mid-summer to finalize my app and will plan to submit ASAP for the next FY.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi!

I just mailed in my seat deposit to a program (yay!) so am now looking at possible opportunities/scholarships. I would love to hear your experience with the application process for this. I've been trolling through through all of the forums as much as possible haha but this is one of the few recent threads from this year. Does anyone know current info on the VA scholarship program? I saw people discussing the application process for last year, but when I go to the site to find information for this current year, there's nothing. I reached out to the program director, but no word back as yet. Thanks for any info!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 10:47 AM, StevenBrule said:

Right, Im sure OP has a solid shot at an alternate spot like yourself.  Perhaps I just misunderstood the recruiters' and heard, "applications are closed" instead of "quotas are full".  Also, I would imagine a lot of med recruiters likely don't want to waste their time on a long-shot late applicant like myself. 

I'll be waiting until mid-summer to finalize my app and will plan to submit ASAP for the next FY.

Steven, I was wondering if you could offer any update on your process. Did you submit for this FY and if so how long did it take to hear back? I am under review now holding my breath and crossing my fingers. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I submitted my HSCP application in January 2019 for February board review, and just got news that I was selected as Alternative. Hopefully I will get in like vb315 too!

I would love to know the experience from HCSP accepted applicants in the past years. If you can share them with me, I would be greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, PAS19 said:

Hi everyone!

I submitted my HSCP application in January 2019 for February board review, and just got news that I was selected as Alternative. Hopefully I will get in like vb315 too!

I would love to know the experience from HCSP accepted applicants in the past years. If you can share them with me, I would be greatly appreciated.

Hello. I submitted my package by the 15th of Jan. for February review. What day did you find out you made alternate? Did your recruiter tell you? I have not received any information as of Monday the 4th.  

2 hours ago, JTET21 said:

Hello. I submitted my package by the 15th of Jan. for February review. What day did you find out you made alternate? Did your recruiter tell you? I have not received any information as of Monday the 4th.  

I texted my recruiter on 07Mar2019 to see if there was any update. He informed me that he literally just received the news. Apparently they did not know what Alternative means and were looking into it. I was glad to find this forum to learn about other applicants' experiences.

Best of luck to your application. I really hope you'll get selected! 😉

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PAS19 said:

I texted my recruiter on 07Mar2019 to see if there was any update. He informed me that he literally just received the news. Apparently they did not know what Alternative means and were looking into it. I was glad to find this forum to learn about other applicants' experiences.

Best of luck to your application. I really hope you'll get selected! 😉

Thank you for getting back to me. I have been trying to get ahold of my recruiter but he must be on Spring Break or something... Good luck to you as well hope it works out for us both! 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 12:20 PM, PAS19 said:

Hi everyone!

Just found out that I got selected as an Alternate as well. I guess the hoping and praying continues! 

• Upvote 2

I wonder

On 3/18/2019 at 3:37 PM, JTET21 said:

Just found out that I got selected as an Alternate as well. I guess the hoping and praying continues! 

At least there is still hope @JTET21 😉 I wonder how would we be notified if we were selected from the alternate list. @vb315, would you mind sharing how did you find out specifically?

20 hours ago, PAS19 said:

I wonder

At least there is still hope @JTET21 😉 I wonder how would we be notified if we were selected from the alternate list. @vb315, would you mind sharing how did you find out specifically?

I found out via phone call. I believe it was a number from Tennessee that called, they explained that I was an alternate, someone had declined and I was chosen. Made me decide right there on the phone.

• Like 1