Deciding on first state to get licenced

Hello!

New grad, just passed the PANCE here. I'm now looking to get licensed and deciding between two states! I live on the border of Mass and NH. Does anyone have input on past experiences or knowledge about which could end up better?

I did read that Mass cosigning laws can be determined at the site of practice while NH can't. I also know NH has less income taxes. Lastly, if I were to work in Mass it wouldn't be around Boston, I prefer more rural work which can be found in either state.

Thank you!

On 1/24/2018 at 7:59 AM, Monte said:

Hello!

New grad, just passed the PANCE here. I'm now looking to get licensed and deciding between two states! I live on the border of Mass and NH. Does anyone have input on past experiences or knowledge about which could end up better?

I did read that Mass cosigning laws can be determined at the site of practice while NH can't. I also know NH has less income taxes. Lastly, if I were to work in Mass it wouldn't be around Boston, I prefer more rural work which can be found in either state.

Thank you!

Honestly you don’t have to be licensed if you don’t have the money, to apply for jobs.  I wasn’t licensed in Nevada prior to signing a contract because I’m Nevada you have to license with either DO or MD board depending on your collaborating Doc.  I got a job offer and asked them which board I should license with so I didn’t have to waste money licensing with the board I didn’t have to.  

Another vote for waiting until you have a job lined up first.

A) you're able to leverage them to pay for it. Licensing fees add up quick, especially when you're fresh out of PA school and

B) you're in between two states and would potentially get licensed in a state you wouldn't end up working in. Not necessarily a big deal (I hold licenses in two states to keep my options open), but it can create additional hoops to jump through. I had to send an official copy of my license from state X when applying to state Y as well as list professional references who could speak to my abilities from state X. Each state has their different nuances, but it's a lot simpler when you have a shorter check list to get through in order to get licensed.

Congratulations on graduating and passing your PANCE. The PA profession is a great one.

Archived