Best bachelor's for PA school? Need Guidance & Help

Hi everybody! I was wondering if anybody would be willing to give me some advice about which bachelor's I should aim for. I'm not sure what to do. :(

1) Do you guys think that I would get accepted into PA school with a bachelor's in graphic design? Do PA schools secretly prefer science degrees and don't accept people with other degrees? I was told that art degrees stand out, but would an art degree stand out in PA school? 

2) Would a school like an interdisciplinary bachelor's degree? It is a degree that combines art & medicine, but they are considered two minors. Would I seem unfocused?

3) Is medical scribing a bad job to help get into PA school? Other jobs that PA schools love?

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. I truly, truly, appreciate whoever wants to give me a little guidance. 

Hi there, in my experience, as long as you meet the pre-requisite requirements, no one cares what your degree is or where you went to school. The potential advantage for doing a pre-med/pre-PA degree is that it will be more focused and therefore you will be able to meet the requirements faster. You would also likely have a more demanding science curriculum with a pre med/PA degree allowing you to showcase to programs your ability to succeed while taking numerous upper level science courses.  

As far as a medical job which prepares you for the PA program and a career as a PA, I think scribing is one of the best ones out there. You get to see real world providers practicing medicine every day, become very familiar with medical documentation and common tests and treatments for various conditions. However, some schools do NOT consider this patient care experience and therefore will not count it towards their requirement, so be sure to research the schools you are looking to apply and see what their specific requirements are. Other jobs that are common for pre-pa students: CNA, MA, EMT, phlebotomist. Make sure you get some shadowing time in with a PA as well so they know you are familiar with the scope of practice etc. 

Best of luck! 

You should get a bachelors degree in something you find USEFUL and interesting.

What happens if you don’t get into PA school and have to rely on your BA or BS for a while to live your life? Don’t put your future self in that position. If a graphic design degree is going to keep you busy, productive, and give you a job to feed yourself/family, go for it. Just make sure you take the right classes so PA school is a realistic option.

Archived