Stories and Facts that can assist us in diagnosis.

Author Specialties: Family Medicine / Practice (FP)

While examining a patient yesterday I had a “Jeopardy” moment and remembered a seemingly random medical fact from my original board exam. While it seemed random I found that it actually has the potential to be useful if not, at the very least, just interesting to know. You may already know this but it seems that skin tags are strongly associated with insulin resistance. 

What other interesting/random medical facts do you know that might be helpful or at least fun to know?

Categories: Family Medicine

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2018 at 2:08 AM, EMEDPA said:

vesicles on the tip of the nose precedes ophthalmic herpes zoster. Hutchinson's sign.

If this is the Hutch sign, what is a Starsky sign?  It is also vesicles on the tip of the nose just prior to an impending afro hair style.  OK, I couldn't resist.  I'm full of Dunkin and cappachino. 

• Upvote 1

Isn't it great to have a hyperglycemic rush and a simultaneous caffeine surge?  I would not deny that vesicles can come from other sources such as Herpes and Chicken Pox but I thin Eric had something to add that would make an honest clinician R/O OHZ. I have not googled the Starsky sign as I relate his name to " Starsky and Hutch."