Neurology Job Offer

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I am a PA in Florida that has been practicing for 4.5 years now. The first 3 in Family Medicine and the last 1.5 in Neurology (inpatient and outpatient).

Here is the offer for a Neurology Hospitalist job in Florida:

Salary: 85K first year, 87.5K second yr, 90.5K 3rd yr.

1K sign on bonus - day 1

CME: 1K/yr (starting year 2+) with no additional time for CME

401K, Malpractice, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Medical and Dental Covered

5 Sick days and 5 vacation days

PA Dues covered by the company

1 major and 1 minor holiday

20 daytime shifts per month, no nights, no call. (usually work a long stretch of days then get a 4-5 days off) anything over 20 shifts would be worked out on pay

I'm just not sure about this one and wanted some thoughts.

What's a shift? 8 hours or is it 12? I've worked for years in neurology but never hospitalist. The salary seems reasonable but the time off, including CME, seems skimpy . . . however, if it is just 8 hour shifts 20 days per month, that helps a little. But still, seems like there would be more vacation and or CME time.

A shift is approximately 9-5ish. I forgot to mention that because of the working a number of days on up to 7-8 then with a number of days off, I would end up working 2 weekends a month (no differential). Their rationale for the less time off and CME is due to the extended periods of time that I will have off periodically throughout the week.

My issue is that I am currently making the same base salary at my current Neurology job with better benefits. However, I am looking to move to a new city and that is where the new job is.

A shift is approximately 9-5ish. I forgot to mention that because of the working a number of days on up to 7-8 then with a number of days off, I would end up working 2 weekends a month (no differential). Their rationale for the less time off and CME is due to the extended periods of time that I will have off periodically throughout the week.

My issue is that I am currently making the same base salary at my current Neurology job with better benefits. However, I am looking to move to a new city and that is where the new job is.

I think there is too much emphasis (in general) on income and not enough on "what makes you happy." Not to say that we should negotiate for more than offered, but I think some people pass up on a happier life for more money. So if being in that other city is what you want, and they won't budge on the benefits, don't walk away from it . . .if that is where you will be happy.

A year ago I was earning 95K + and 3 weeks off, 2500+ CME, 5 days CME and a generous profit sharing . . . I walked away from that. This year, I work 60 hours a week seeing more patients than I ever have. However, my net income for this year is well -23K (yes that is negative) as I've put in more than I've taken in salary. I have no benefits. Yet, I now own the practice and I'm happier than I've ever been as a PA.

Archived