PA Shadowing in CHARLOTTE, NC

• 2 months later...

I'm also in Charlotte looking for shadow experiences.  Emails to a few clinics last week received no response, and tonight I found a few interesting pointers, one being this article:

https://www.thepalife.com/finding-a-physician-assistant-mentor/

The second being I came across Novant Health student programs section that addresses shadowing in the FAQ's as "observation:"

"Your school faculty or advisor is responsible for securing the preceptor for your rotation, internship, or observation. We can provide you with suggestions of areas that may be open to precepting students."

Then provides the following link https://www.novanthealth.org/careers/student-programs/observation-students.aspx

Do let me know if you have success!

Liz

lizrentschler@gmail.com

18 hours ago, lizrentschler3 said:

I'm also in Charlotte looking for shadow experiences.  Emails to a few clinics last week received no response, and tonight I found a few interesting pointers, one being this article:

https://www.thepalife.com/finding-a-physician-assistant-mentor/

The second being I came across Novant Health student programs section that addresses shadowing in the FAQ's as "observation:"

"Your school faculty or advisor is responsible for securing the preceptor for your rotation, internship, or observation. We can provide you with suggestions of areas that may be open to precepting students."

Then provides the following link https://www.novanthealth.org/careers/student-programs/observation-students.aspx

Do let me know if you have success!

Liz

lizrentschler@gmail.com

Hi Lizrentscnler3!

I would love to shadow at Novant health, however, I'm longer in school so I wouldn't have that liaison between the school and hospital. It has certainly been an uphill battle trying to find someone I can shadow! ): 

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/21/2018 at 3:14 PM, sothames said:

Email or call the North Carolina Academy of Physician Assistants. They have a list of PAs who have offered to have students shadow them! www.ncapa.org. 

Hope this helps 

Hey! I actually reached out to them and got that list, however a lot of the PA's either didn't respond or couldn't take students. ):

9 hours ago, Thegirllogan said:

Hey! I actually reached out to them and got that list, however a lot of the PA's either didn't respond or couldn't take students. ):

Hey! I'm in Charlotte too and I've been looking to find PA's to shadow. If you have any luck, please feel free to send me an email! I would greatly appreciate it! :)

On 4/26/2018 at 10:35 PM, TheLastStone said:

Hey! I'm in Charlotte too and I've been looking to find PA's to shadow. If you have any luck, please feel free to send me an email! I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Yes absolutely! Please extend the favor to me as well! These notifications come straight to my email!.

7 hours ago, Thegirllogan said:

Yes absolutely! Please extend the favor to me as well! These notifications come straight to my email!.

Yea, definitely! I sent an email to the president of the metro chapter regarding shadowing so hopefully I'll hear something! I some one of my providers' PAs a while back and he mentioned to me that Novant health will let you do it but you have to fill out the observation student thing. Everyone is really strict about it all because of HIPAA it seems, and all the red tape for having shadowees. But I would think that's a good shot, and any small or private practices. They might be easier :) I haven't started looking too deep yet, but I know there are a ton of practices here and a ton of PA's all over the place! 

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2018 at 11:00 PM, TheLastStone said:

Yea, definitely! I sent an email to the president of the metro chapter regarding shadowing so hopefully I'll hear something! I some one of my providers' PAs a while back and he mentioned to me that Novant health will let you do it but you have to fill out the observation student thing. Everyone is really strict about it all because of HIPAA it seems, and all the red tape for having shadowees. But I would think that's a good shot, and any small or private practices. They might be easier :) I haven't started looking too deep yet, but I know there are a ton of practices here and a ton of PA's all over the place! 

Hey did you ever find a place to shadow a PA?

On 7/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, TheLastStone said:

I have not ? Novant and CHS have so many hoops to jump through and really don't want anyone to shadow them. My PCP said best bet is to find a private to go through so it's less hassle. 

This is unfortunate especially since the profession was founded in North Carolina.

•  

On 7/20/2018 at 10:19 PM, TheLastStone said:

I have not ? Novant and CHS have so many hoops to jump through and really don't want anyone to shadow them. My PCP said best bet is to find a private to go through so it's less hassle. 

Hey random question. Do you personally think they debt of 100k is worth going into the profession especially if you have to pay it back for the next 10 years?

On 7/25/2018 at 4:33 PM, Thegirllogan said:

Hey random question. Do you personally think they debt of 100k is worth going into the profession especially if you have to pay it back for the next 10 years?

That is a personal question, and it will be different for each person, but as long as I live long enough to get out of debt, enjoy the work, am able to support a future family then it is all worth it. I am already going into debt with my undergrad loans, so it's really just about being responsible at this point, and doing what I enjoy. The amount of debt will be much higher than 100k for me and most of PA students, since most PA programs, unless they are state schools, usually have a tuition 100-150k. But, in short, yes, for me it is worth it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived