How Much $$$ Do You Make? (Informal Poll)

How Much Do You Make Per Year?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Do You Make Per Year?

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • > $151k

18 hours ago, quietmedic said:

Some of these responses are outrageous to the point that i have trouble believing them...>250,000 as a PA? Sorry, don't buy it.  Even at 190 hours a month, that's $120 an hour!  Just not possible. $150,000 for 36 hours a week?  Not gonna  happen within 100 miles of where I live.

In NYC area, starting salary for PA in hospital setting is about 80K.  A few years of experience and you miiiiiiight pull 95K-100K in a busy ER. Anything above 130,000 is downright OUTRAGEOUS for a single job in the region.  

NYC has some of the worst pay.   

I fill a doc doc slot and paid as such. 

Careful with assumptions based on one locality. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2018 at 5:19 PM, Joelseff said:

I make more than 150k for 32 hours a week.... In Family Med! GASP!

Depends on experience and where you are. New York from what I hear is a horribly PA unfriendly state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You’re workin my dream job joelseff. I’m worried about finding a job in the Bay Area eventually. Seems like it can be fairly competitive for (esp newer) PAs. But I’m not really opposed to moving to the central coast or other places Bay-semi-adjacent 

You’re workin my dream job joelseff. I’m worried about finding a job in the Bay Area eventually. Seems like it can be fairly competitive for (esp newer) PAs. But I’m not really opposed to moving to the central coast or other places Bay-semi-adjacent 

There are jobs here. Only thing is it's hard to find Primary care with good pay for new PAs. I speak to a lot of new grads and PAs in training. My advice is find a job that pays decent for new grads (95k and up if possible) but you're focus should he LEARNING your first 3-5 years. If you can't find a FP/IM job pick a specialty you suck at.

For me it was MSK so my first job out was physiatry (I hated it at the time). I learned as much as I could there and now ortho/MSK is one of my strongest areas. So much so that I must say, most of my FP/IM physician colleagues, and definitely my FNP colleagues, approach me to consult in this area a lot due to this.

By working your weak points you sort of form an "informal residency" of sorts which the purpose is to make one a well rounded PC provider.

Don't chase the $$$ at first. Work on your fund of knowledge and skills so that when you are ready, they will see your value and offer you top dollar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, quietmedic said:

New York is super friendly in terms of the number of opportunities and what Pas are able to do, but because of that New York is super unfriendly in terms of salary. My first job as a PA in New York was $35 an hour and that was not very long ago.

that is pretty awful. I was making 35/hr in 2001.

You can have a friendly practice environment and still have good compensation. Portland, OR starts new grads at $115K + for urgent care. NC, WA, &and numerous other states have good practice rights and good pay. The issue with NY (and PA) mostly comes down to the economics of supply and demand. Those two states have roughly 1/5 of all PA programs in the country between them. Too many programs with new grads every year willing to take any job, regardless of the compensation. That situation is not going to change. Recognizing that, are the situations keeping you in NY really that immutable that you can’t compromise and change your environment?

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2018 at 11:10 AM, CorpsmanUP said:

You can have a friendly practice environment and still have good compensation. Portland, OR starts new grads at $115K + for urgent care. NC, WA, &and numerous other states have good practice rights and good pay. The issue with NY (and PA) mostly comes down to the economics of supply and demand. Those two states have roughly 1/5 of all PA programs in the country between them. Too many programs with new grads every year willing to take any job, regardless of the compensation. That situation is not going to change. Recognizing that, are the situations keeping you in NY really that immutable that you can’t compromise and change your environment?

I keep hearing the saturation argument, but NC has practically the same saturation as NY.

I think some of NY is NYC and peoples desire to stay there no matter what the pay

PA's are underpaid because they take underpaying jobs.... simple.....

NP also has an effect as they are pretty interchangeable..

come people just can't see moving out of the city....

• Upvote 1

I think some of NY is NYC and peoples desire to stay there no matter what the pay
PA's are underpaid because they take underpaying jobs.... simple.....

NP also has an effect as they are pretty interchangeable..

come people just can't see moving out of the city....
Well I moved to Maine just to find out I'm underpaid too ;p
That may change this week though..

• 2 months later...

So
My employer wouldn't budge
Isolated me and came down on me with iron fist

Instead I gave my notice

I move to sin city this July

Sign on $30k
Yearly Salary:
with one weekend a month call 8a-12p sat and sun (just some rounds)
OR, clinic, floors depending on week
Includes bonus disbursed quarterly:
$155k
(No state tax in NV).

Other average/usual bennies

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, delco714 said:

So
My employer wouldn't budge
Isolated me and came down on me with iron fist

Instead I gave my notice

Sign on $30k
Yearly Salary:
$155k
(No state tax in NV).

Other average/usual bennies

Really great!

19 hours ago, delco714 said:

Sign on $30k
Yearly Salary:
$155k
(No state tax in NV).

Good for you!  Little different climate there though.  But with the $8K-$9 THOUSAND per year you will be saving in state income taxes you can afford another vacation or too.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 11:05 AM, delco714 said:

Hopefully a move for the best :), thx!

In the winter time....YES!!!

In the summer time.....NO!!!!!!!  ?

I think I told you I have a house just east of Ellsworth.  Sold it on a land contract to someone who moved from Detroit.  They were there through last winter and now are planning on either selling it again this summer, or becoming summer-residents because the winter about killed them.   Meanwhile an old shipmate of mine (stationed with him in Maine) is LVPD and he detests the summers there.

Edited by Boatswain2PA

17 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

What is this adult telecom thing people are talking about?  How would one get into this??

Triage from home basically for a large healthcare system once office hours are over and weekends/holidays. I just scoured for per diem jobs I could do and this seemed too good to be true. Work from home, work as much or little as I want basically. Doesn’t include video visits, strictly phone advice. 

In the winter time....YES!!!
In the summer time.....NO!!!!!!!  [emoji846]

I think I told you I have a house just east of Ellsworth.  Sold it on a land contract to someone who moved from Detroit.  They were there through last winter and now are planning on either selling it again this summer, or becoming summer-residents because the winter about killed them.   Meanwhile an old shipmate of mine (stationed with him in Maine) is LVPD and he detests the summers there.

Vegas "Summer" is short compared to the crap late fall and early spring of Maine. I'll miss late may through August, sure..but, hey. Time now for something completely different. Plus, I'm solar powered..will be happy to have sun and a convertible again :)
  • Upvote 1