How Much $$$ Do You Make? (Informal Poll)

How Much Do You Make Per Year?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Do You Make Per Year?

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • > $151k

20 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

ER techs make $25/hr in the pacific NW with a high school diploma + cna or emt basic.

Wow that is crazy the difference in pay. ER techs start out at $9/hr and EMT-P start at $14/hr in my area (2017). Just a few years ago my buddy was starting a new EMT-P job with 15 years experience and he started at $15/hr. 

Not even going to bother. Level 2 400 bed hospital with robotics and I'm the senior pa with almost 5 years experience working art almost attending level in urology and I get paid crap compared to some of you..most certainly not hourly :)

Needless to say I'm in central Maine and I have a 2600sqft home that is brand spanking new for $290k :) 3.5k property tax.. So maybe that's where I make up for it.

I've been told by 2 surgeons and the other 4 np that they will quit if I leave..bargaining time?

• Upvote 2

On 1/28/2018 at 9:30 AM, weezianna said:

My comment was SOLELY in the vein of the question - How much money do you make?   BTW I work 60 hours a week and DO NOT GET ANY OVERTIME, nor do any of the providers..   The PTO is indeed better than the outside, and this helps you tolerate an autocratic management., although as a military provider you're used to that. Thank you..

Im sorry to hear that...based on what I’ve found and read online, the VAs own policy is that PAs and NPs are supposed to get overtime....the only providers that do not are docs.  Its all laid out in the first 10 pages here... https://www.va.gov/vapubs/viewPublication.asp?Pub_ID=657&FType=2. I thought I saw where nurses and PAs sued the VA over forced overtime without pay in 2015. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/24/2018 at 8:51 AM, sas5814 said:

My base salary based on 40hr/week is 154k. I get 1.5x for OT which is usually a few hours a week on a routine week and can be 12 to 14 during peak times like now. 240 hours PTO and the usual insurances. 5 days CME. I work in UC.

240 hours PTO??????  In UC?

MERCY.

Not even going to bother. Level 2 400 bed hospital with robotics and I'm the senior pa with almost 5 years experience working art almost attending level in urology and I get paid crap compared to some of you..most certainly not hourly :)

Needless to say I'm in central Maine and I have a 2600sqft home that is brand spanking new for $290k :) 3.5k property tax.. So maybe that's where I make up for it.

I've been told by 2 surgeons and the other 4 np that they will quit if I leave..bargaining time?

My house is smaller by 200 square feet, is 30 yrs older and cost me twice (600k) yours! My property tax JUST went up last year (goes up every 5 years out in my county) and is about 6k per year. Lol only good thing is it's worth almost a million bucks now and i bought it a few years ago. So if I were to sell it I'd rake in almost close to a half a million after fees tax etc. But then where would I live? A 500k house out here is a 2 bedroom condo. [emoji21]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2018 at 9:53 AM, weezianna said:

Guess I am a failure - 20 years experience and working for the VA at $113K in IM.  TIme to make a break.

Wow 20 years and only 113K ??--- What GS is that, and does that include locality pay? Which state is this?

BTW - You aren't a failure, I think it's the federal government that is failing us. The VA really needs to review PA pay scale. I understand benefits and such is enticing but still much more need to be done for PAs $$ - 

20 minutes ago, Dichotomy said:

Wow 20 years and only 113K ??--- What GS is that, and does that include locality pay? Which state is this?

BTW - You aren't a failure, I think it's the federal government that is failing us. The VA really needs to review PA pay scale. I understand benefits and such is enticing but still much more need to be done for PAs $$ - 

have been almost begging for the local CBOC to hire me at a REASONABLE wage (15+yrs Im expereince and owned my own practice - in the outpatient world I function the same as doc)

PA = 110k

NP=121k

local hospital system 140k

currently in 3 work week situation making $125k

All I have asked for is for them to get it reasonable.  they do not care (oh yeah  I am a vet with a 20% rating so they should be bending over backwards to hire me)

VA = STUPID HR

• Upvote 1

AD Navy O-3E with 14 years in service (been a PA for 4), pay is around $140k/year with bonuses. Stationed in WA state. House cost $415K with views of the San Juan Islands as I type this. Just picked up a part-time UC gig (sort of an Urgent Care minus, IMO) for $57.50/hour. Pay for that job seems a little low, but then it is a public hospital and pay is what it is (I am a hospital employee, not hired by a group). Anyway, the PT job has been very low stress and actually pretty enjoyable so far - I much prefer acute care to managing my own panel in an FM clinic like I do for my real job, and I am a solo provider when working there, which I also like.

• Upvote 3

This is a pretty helpful thread. I got into Samuel Merritt and Oregon Health & Science University. Trying to see which area would be beneficial to live after graduating. I am currently living in East Bay. Definitely the COL is extremely high and the only place I would ultimately want to live is near Walnut Creek and those that are from here know what the cost of a house there is. They are both great program IMO so it is a tough decision to make. 

Side note: I am using Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab program from the VA, so will graduate from the PA with zero debt. This would definitely help with starting a life afterwards. 

You can do SMU but rent up there is hella high. The areas around there are sketch I was raised in Richmond/San Pablo and Vallejo. Would not move back with my family in tote. I would not move there by myself for that matter lol. El sob, some parts of Oakland might work but man house prices are skyrocketing. In my suburban town with commute access to SF and Oak (Bart, ride share and soon a ferry station to embarcadero) a new apt complex just got put up. A studio runs 2100/mo 1 bed 2500-2800 2 bed 3000-3800, 3 bed is up to 4520 per month! Rent! Hell I can rent my 5 bedroom house with a large (bay area large) lot up in the hills in a more secluded and good school location for less than that! But I'm staying. Can't afford to move [emoji17]

12 hours ago, Gordon, PA-C said:

We need a follow up poll for the PAs to put down what their MD colleagues make.  I guarantee you it will make you mad.

Believe me when I tell you they are making a minimum of 2-3 times what you are making, all for seeing fewer patients, working fewer hours than the PAs are.

the fp docs covering my rural ED when I am not there make $15/hr more than me. I am ok with that. The em boarded guys make about double. it's single coverage so we all see everyone every shift.

• Upvote 2

We need a follow up poll for the PAs to put down what their MD colleagues make.  I guarantee you it will make you mad.

Believe me when I tell you they are making a minimum of 2-3 times what you are making, all for seeing fewer patients, working fewer hours than the PAs are.

My MD/DO colleagues make about 50-70k more base pay than I do. That's OK with me. I'm never on call, have full benefits and a retirement plan. They pay out of pocket for those. They do, however, get all bonuses like QIP AND meaningful use (dumbest name I've ever heard for such a stupid orwellian program) the NPs get in on this too in my state but we are left out so I don't do any of the measures or at least make an effort to check off some the boxes.

My MD/DO colleagues make about 50-70k more base pay than I do. That's OK with me. I'm never on call, have full benefits and a retirement plan. They pay out of pocket for those. They do, however, get all bonuses like QIP AND meaningful use (dumbest name I've ever heard for such a stupid orwellian program) the NPs get in on this too in my state but we are left out so I don't do any of the measures or at least make an effort to check off some the boxes.  

My docs make about 5x :)

Daaaaaaaaaannnnnggg! [emoji33]

You're also in a surgical specialty though right? But dang 5x? I can think of a lot bigger toys you can buy with that! Good bye Steinhart and Omega hello JLC and Vacheron! [emoji6]

Hahaha

Well... The jlc or panerai is coming regardless ;)

I'm up for 5th year review.. Hopefully it goes as expected..hehehe
  • Upvote 1

On 2/12/2018 at 10:56 AM, Joelseff said:

Daaaaaaaaaannnnnggg! emoji33.png

You're also in a surgical specialty though right? But dang 5x? I can think of a lot bigger toys you can buy with that! Good bye Steinhart and Omega hello JLC and Vacheron! emoji6.png

Hahaha

Yeah a buddy of mine that's a few years ahead of me, just got his first job about of residency and day one he is making $400k plus bonuses, benefits, full malpractice paid, etc.  I think once he makes partner, he'll see a nice bump.  That's a lot more than I'll ever make, no matter how hard I bust my butt.  But then he has to look at penises all day.  So there's that tradeoff....

Also hes working in the middle of nowhere.  But it's where he's from so that's a positive for him, whereas I would open my wrists if I had to live there. 

Yeah a buddy of mine that's a few years ahead of me, just got his first job about of residency and day one he is making $400k plus bonuses, benefits, full malpractice paid, etc.  I think once he makes partner, he'll see a nice bump.  That's a lot more than I'll ever make, no matter how hard I bust my butt.  But then he has to look at penises all day.  So there's that tradeoff....

Also hes working in the middle of nowhere.  But it's where he's from so that's a positive for me, whereas I would open my wrists if I had to live there. 
Oh c'mon! Penises are only half our jobs day to day!