How Much $$$ Do You Make? (Informal Poll)

How Much Do You Make Per Year?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Do You Make Per Year?

• $80-90k
    • $91-100k
    • $101-110k
    • $111-120k
    • $121-130k
    • $131-140k
    • $141-150k
    • > $151k

4 minutes ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Fortunately for those of us who like Rural America better than Urban America, we get the benefit of not only greater pay but also much lower COL.

We just bought 75 acres of stunning land for $135K.   Gonna build a $300K dream house on it.

That house, with this land, in places along the coast would be worth many millions.

$1,800/acre is good. A $300K home where I live is HUGE (a new 4 bed, 4 bath, fully brick,4,300 sq/ft, 0.5 acres for $294K). Land around us goes from $1,300-$1,800/acre. There is a plot of land about 10 mins from my clinic that is 485 acres going for $600K, mostly for hunting, has several barns and living quarters. These are my dreams as well, low COL, rural setting, average to about average pay. 

• Upvote 3

We have definately had the advantage of geographic arbitrage.  Above average pay on my end, husband is a Major in the Air National Guard with 15 years time in service.  LCOL area, bought custom built brick home  (2300 sq ft) on 1 acre for 280k.  Have been at a practice in an outlying rural area, about an hour from the "popular" areas where we live.  Have taken advantage of this by living in very nice area with low cost of living but working in a less desirable area.  I agree that comparing a salary in different geographic areas is not the best comparison.

7 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

Fortunately for those of us who like Rural America better than Urban America, we get the benefit of not only greater pay but also much lower COL.

We just bought 75 acres of stunning land for $135K.   Gonna build a $300K dream house on it.

That house, with this land, in places along the coast would be worth many millions.

I think you mentioned this before, but what state are you in again?

I would've made more this month but my jackwagon employer is using 2017 withholding tax tables instead of the new 2018 tables.  They somehow paid me a week earlier as well for reasons unknown.  I wonder if it would do any good to complain since it seems like anyone can call US and bitch about their care.  Now I have to go buy cheap gut rot instead of the more tasty, and expensive, gut rot.

You guys can find me in Texas easy enough since I'm in the old motorhome parked in the drive and I'll probably be outside in my winter earflap hat and my open bathrobe dispensing of my vehicle black water in the city sewer system chewing on a lit cigar.

• Upvote 1

What this thread shows is just how much variance there is in cost of living. In my neck of the woods, $100K for FM is doing pretty well I imagine. That’s why I can’t believe what they pay me for snot/cough only.
Yep, I live in Northern California where it costs a million dollars for the average house in not a well to do area. Not kidding.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Marinejiujitsu said:

Yep, I live in Northern California where it costs a million dollars for the average house in not a well to do area. Not kidding.

North of Napa Valley/Petaluma area?  Or that area south?  I was stationed in Crescent city almost 30 years ago, absolutely beautiful area there.  Also did two tours a little "over the border" to the north as well.

1 hour ago, Joelseff said:

Bay area yes... Desirable? That's subjective lol

I lived on Yerba Buena Island for about a year, then moved to Alameda, but that was before the NAS closed down and Alameda was (relatively) safe.  Would only live in that area again if I were a Billionnaire.  That being said, wife and I want to go for a visit soon!

13 hours ago, Cideous said:

Most rural jobs are in places with really crummy weather and weather plays a massive role in the price of land/houses.

I like the 4 seasons.  Hot in summer, Cold in winter, with long spring/fall.

I don't think it's the weather that plays that much of a role.  New England only has beautiful weather 3 months of the year, yet is uber-expensive.  San Fran rarely has great weather, yet also uber-expensive.  Seattle rains allllllll the time, yet expensive.   SoCal...yes, great weather.  

• Upvote 1

Would love to see the range expanded downward a bit. I think there are a lot of new grads stepping in to medicine in the high 70s. While I think this poll/board is skewed towards a relatively active, successful, affluent crowd and cost of living does make a difference, it definitely makes me step back and re-assess my own salary. Loan repayment options are done and they still want to pay me in the lowest paid group above to do the FP and urgent care combo for a community health population (i.e. complex population). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I like the 4 seasons.  Hot in summer, Cold in winter, with long spring/fall.

I don't think it's the weather that plays that much of a role.  New England only has beautiful weather 3 months of the year, yet is uber-expensive.  San Fran rarely has great weather, yet also uber-expensive.  Seattle rains allllllll the time, yet expensive.   SoCal...yes, great weather.  

I think that it’s all about the H2O proximity.

9 hours ago, printer2100 said:

Would love to see the range expanded downward a bit. I think there are a lot of new grads stepping in to medicine in the high 70s. While I think this poll/board is skewed towards a relatively active, successful, affluent crowd and cost of living does make a difference, it definitely makes me step back and re-assess my own salary. Loan repayment options are done and they still want to pay me in the lowest paid group above to do the FP and urgent care combo for a community health population (i.e. complex population). 

hmm... from those I have been talking to it seems a lot of the new grads are starting in the 100-115 range. Again COL plays a role, but even my colleagues in saturated cities say that their new grads are making 6 figs.. Would have loved that when i first started out...

On 1/21/2018 at 7:15 AM, printer2100 said:

High 70s shouldn't ever be considered. Maybe 90s with loan repayment of great bonus structure would be ok, but 70s or 80s? No

Let's not do this profession a disservice 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

On 1/17/2018 at 2:44 PM, BruceBanner said:

Id like to see it broken down by specialty/job. I doubt many UC/FP PAs are making >151k.

My base salary based on 40hr/week is 154k. I get 1.5x for OT which is usually a few hours a week on a routine week and can be 12 to 14 during peak times like now. 240 hours PTO and the usual insurances. 5 days CME. I work in UC.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, printer2100 said:

Loan repayment may sweeten the deal if the salary is low, depending on how much loan $$ you get. However if the loan repayment part of it is finished and they still want to offer a low salary that’s something to reconsider... I don’t think there are as many new grads as you might think coming in with low salaries. My classmates and I are new grads (practicing for about 9 months) and none of us started below 90k. A few are working in internal med and other primary care specialties making 100k - 110k this first year out (granted, none of them are practicing at CHCs). We are all practicing within ~30 miles of different major metro areas in the Midwest.

• Upvote 2