New Grad - Ortho Offer

Hi All, 

I am a new graduate and have been offered a position in ortho surgery at a hospital in SW Oklahoma. The offer is as follows:

1 year duration (negotiated down from 3 years)

105k base, plus 2 possible bonuses: one up to 5,000 depending on overall clinic production; and up to "5% base salary for achievement of quality metrics"

Relocation up to 6k, sign-on bonus 4k

Loan repayment assistance 10k to be paid over agreement term

3 days CME (unable to negotiate) and $2500

Clinic call only

licensing and malpractice paid; full benefits, 26 days PTO

I am happy with the outcome of the negotiation, but my major concern is that I will be the only PA they have in the entire hospital. They have a couple NPs in the ED and have employed a PA in the distant past. Neither of the two ortho surgeons have worked with a PA but they seem to like to teach. What are some things I should be doing to ensure that I will receive the proper training? I also realize I will be setting the expectations for how PAs are treated at this hospital from here on out, and want to make a great impression. I hope this is posted in the correct forum and I appreciate all suggestions!

On 1/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, PAtoB said:

try to get the orientation period with checklist of training, etc, in writing beforehand. Ask for specific measures/accountability of your work at 6 months, 1 year, etc.

I agree with this. I'd try to get a very detailed job description as well.      Very nice on negotiating that salary by the way! 

Archived