Hello PA Forum,

I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for specific PA schools considering my following goals and statistics. I would like to apply this summer for 2019 matriculation.

Goals: Ideally I would like to work as a PA in a hospital setting. While I don't quite know my exact area of interest, I prefer primary care, emergency, and internal medicine over surgery. Additionally, I have a strong interest in contributing to research.

Statistics/Background:

• 3.5 cumulative GPA, 3.45 science GPA at a private academic university 
  • 159 Verbal (82%tile), 158 Quant (70%tile), 4.5 Writing (82%tile)
  • 9100 hours in paid and volunteering positions in the medical field (almost all clinical research) of which ~2000hrs were direct patient contact. Multiple presentations, with a publication in progress. 
  • Lots of shadowing with multiple medical professionals, but getting more with PAs
  • I meet all prerequisites for most schools, but note I took physio without the lab (although I took anatomy with lab), and I never took a medical terminology course
  • Pretty diverse extra-circulars with leadership roles and teaching experiences

Thank you for your insight!

Best,

-pleaseandthankyou

I recommend using this website. When I applied to PA schools I took some dedicated time to look through all of the programs that I knew I could apply to (met all of the pre-reqs). Since I did not take medical terminology or abnormal psychology. I was able to narrow down my schools and really take the time to look into them. I recommend doing your own research when it comes to PA schools. Each program is unique! And so are you.

http://directory.paeaonline.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

You need to come up with your own list. You are the one that has to go to school in that place. Use the above website and come up with a list of 30-35 or so that you meet the requirements at. Then research those schools, do their PANCE rates match what you want? Are they in a place you want to live? Are they affiliated with an academic medical center? Do the have any specialized tracks? Can you afford to go there or live there?

Tgese are just some of the question to ask yourself. The goal is to narrow the list to 12-15 or so, maybe more maybe less. Then apply to those programs. Your stats are pretty normal for almost all schools so provided you meet the pre-reqs go for it.

• Upvote 1

I recommend checking out “The Applicant’s Manual of Physician Assistant Programs” on Amazon. I used this to choose schools that met my profile. From there, I individually researched each school to see which program best matched what I was looking for— the mission statement is a great starting point once you have your list. It takes some time to go through each of them. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PrePA1208
      Will I be completely overlooked if I answer yes to academic dishonesty question on CASPA?
      My senior year of undergrad I took an management online course. There was an ungraded assignment that I didn't think I had to complete. To my dismay, the professor stated in his syllabus that the failure to complete this specific module to the best of our ability would result in being reported as academic dishonesty. Needless to say, he reported over 100 students.  I had zero intentions of cheating. It was an act of laziness-- if anything. The assignment itself was ungraded and didn't even go towards my grade to begin with.  I was just given a written warning for "the failure to comply with instructions." I tried to appeal but the professor was trying to make a point to the class. I still received an A in the course.  However, I understand that I must answer yes to the academic dishonesty question.
      I am discouraged and worried that this mistake will cost me my future as a PA.  I am not sure how to explain what happened in only 500 characters and have them believe that it really was just that and not me trying to put a positive twist on my actions. The rest of my application is fairly strong. It will be two years since this occurred when I apply. Should I be worried? Will PAs even consider me? Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By JB296
      Hi everyone,
      I was just accepted to West Virginia University’s PA program (class of 2022) and I am planning on attending. We have a short amount of time to figure out living arrangements, as classes begin in early January 2020. Has anyone else been accepted and would like to chat about finding roommates or would just like to get to know other students in the program?
    • By jenmchad
      How long does it usually take after receiving your interview invitation for confirmation of date and time/getting supplemental application?
    • By thefoggymist
      Greetings everybody
      It's my first post here. I was desperate enough to Google and somehow ended up here.
      I am a US IMG, last year, good rank (and once was first of my year on IM rotation), Step 1 done...
      I am looking for a US clinical experience (a hands on elective rotation). I like IM, with all passion, and almost all subspecialties (and especially ID). I don't mind any subspecialty really, they all excite me haha.
      I literally tried everything... I always end up with either an observership (which is not really nicely considered for the match), or just getting ignored.
      I emailed a lot of doctors and hospitals, it seems like there's no use.
      I know companies like AMO and those exist, but many say they're shady, many say you don't really do anything, and most importantly they're expensive for very lowly ranked hospitals. I don't mind a place with no particular rank, but doesn't make sense to pay that much money for something that should be free. 
      I am ready to pay my own insurance.
      I'm out of time as my elective is due in like 3 months (and I need paperwork and such...).
      I'll pay with coffee, kindness, smart questions, daily compliments and especially hard work.
      Even if it's just hope with no real confirmation, I can try sending an email of my info + CV + motivation letter... And we'll see what happens. My dream is to catch a residency in the US so I could help, with my passion, as much people as I can knowing I did my job in getting fit as a good physician.
      Any help?
    • By Cosette
      I  think I am at my final draft and would love for someone to review it/read it over. Have looked at is soo many times that its hard to see any mistakes or weak points at this time. Anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know and I will send it over.
      Please and thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More