Some Prerequisites older than 10 years

I went back to PA school in 2004, almost 40 years after getting my BS (1968). I had to retake statistics, introductory psych, and chem 1 (not physics, composition, etc). I had not taken organic, biochem, bio, anatomy, physiology, human development, etc so I took them over several years in the late afternoon and evening (or by Internet) at our local community college.

That was for my program. Programs usually list their requirements on their Internet site.

So, no, you won't need to repeat your BS! Good luck!

One option would be to just take the required classes for applying to PA school. There are a few places across the country that offer online classes specifically for pre-health track science pre-reqs, even for labs. They provide a lab kit and everything for the class can be done remotely. 

I’m in the same boat. I was able to find plenty of programs that do not have a required timeline for prerequisites. They are out there, I promise. You just have to do the leg work to find them. Each program will say on their website. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:25 AM, Pnk132 said:

Do all my prerequisite classes have to be 5 years or under? I might as well go back to school and get a bachelors again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt the same way! I graduated with my Bachelors in 2009 and Masters in 2011, so many of my prerequisites were on the older side.  I applied for the first time this cycle, was accepted to one of my top choices, and start soon. I also received interview invitations for 5/8 schools that I applied to.  So it's definitely possible for you to apply with classes that are more than 5 years old, but you need to do your research.  Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Some of the programs I am looking into don't care when prereqs were taken and some require certain courses be taken within 5 years of applying. (For me, chemistry 1 and 2 were 11 years ago!) For example, one school requires 1 of the biology prereqs and 1 of the chem prereqs be taken within 5 years, so I am making sure some of the upper level bios and organic chem will be taken shortly before I apply. They do not have a time-frame requirement for others, however.

Archived