ISU Class of 2020

Congratulations everyone! I thought I would start a forum for all students expecting to attend ISU this fall. I am coming from out of town so it would be nice to connect with some of you beforehand. Please let me know if a Facebook group is preferred. I am unable to create one right now because Facebook requires you to be friends with at least one other person intended to be in the group.

Thanks!

Congratulations everyone! I thought I would start a forum for all students expecting to attend ISU this fall. I am coming from out of town so it would be nice to connect with some of you beforehand. Please let me know if a Facebook group is preferred. I am unable to create one right now because Facebook requires you to be friends with at least one other person intended to be in the group.
Thanks!

Hi Goyzueta! I’m also coming from out of town but am very excited to move to ID. Which campus did you select? I currently deactivated my FB but if everyone wants to make a group on there I could be persuaded to reactivate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Boli,

I'm flexible either way. I'm coming from Denver and heading to the Meridian site! What about you? Probably gonna start to try looking into housing soon. Are you by chance interested in applying for the Latino health track? I'm debating if it'll hurt or help..

Hey Boli,

I'm flexible either way. I'm coming from Denver and heading to the Meridian site! What about you? Probably gonna start to try looking into housing soon. Are you by chance interested in applying for the Latino health track? I'm debating if it'll hurt or help..

Oh nice! I was born and raised in Denver, and went to HS there. I picked Meridian as well. I’m also torn about the Latino Health Track... I think the medical Spanish is a huge bonus but I don’t know about having to do 5/8 rotations in underserved Spanish speaking communities and how that will translate into job opportunities. Also, the Spanish is definitely going to be a commitment on top of the 29 already assigned credits for fall alone

5 hours ago, boli said:

Oh nice! I was born and raised in Denver, and went to HS there. I picked Meridian as well. I’m also torn about the Latino Health Track... I think the medical Spanish is a huge bonus but I don’t know about having to do 5/8 rotations in underserved Spanish speaking communities and how that will translate into job opportunities. Also, the Spanish is definitely going to be a commitment on top of the 29 already assigned credits for fall alone

Agreed. I briefly spoke with the recruiter, Valentin, about it and he said it is definitely an option to take the majority of those credits in the summer before even starting the program. (I think he said someone took as many as 9 credits.) That way you only have to take two extra classes during the course of the whole program.

What I'm also wondering if how much more tuition will be raised with those extra 15 credit hours.

And, yes, five out of eight rotations almost seems like you're sacrificing potential job opportunities, so will having the SHP certificate give you that much more of an edge when applying for a job?

Also, is there an alternative certification available that wouldn't compromise the precious little time and funds that you have during PA school? These are things I would like to ask PAs with more experience..

1 hour ago, knye42 said:

Hey guys! 

I got accepted today to the ISU program for the Pocatello campus :) I'm excited to meet all of you!

Kristina

Welcome Kristina! I went back and forth SO many times between Meridian and Pocatello. Would you mind telling me what influenced your decision?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 9:15 PM, Goyzueta said:

Agreed. I briefly spoke with the recruiter, Valentin, about it and he said it is definitely an option to take the majority of those credits in the summer before even starting the program. (I think he said someone took as many as 9 credits.) That way you only have to take two extra classes during the course of the whole program.

What I'm also wondering if how much more tuition will be raised with those extra 15 credit hours.

And, yes, five out of eight rotations almost seems like you're sacrificing potential job opportunities, so will having the SHP certificate give you that much more of an edge when applying for a job?

Also, is there an alternative certification available that wouldn't compromise the precious little time and funds that you have during PA school? These are things I would like to ask PAs with more experience..

I just found out today that there is no extra fee for the Medical Spanish courses, but if you take them after you graduate, they will charge you. You can opt to take the medical spanish courses without doing the full Spanish track, so you wouldn't have to go to the 5 spanish speaking areas.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!  

I interviewed today and my application is currently "In-Review."  For those who have been accepted, just curious as to the interview scores you received.  I know this might be a little personal, so if you want to send me a private message that would be super helpful.  I'm trying to get a sense of how my score measures up to the general average.  

Thanks!

I interviewed yesterday and was accepted at the Pocatello Campus! I am from Pocatello so the choice of campuses was a no-brainer. I'm grateful I get to be in Poky since I have kids and a husband there! I would love it if someone would start a facebook page so I can meet more of those who will be in the class!  

8 minutes ago, AndrewBloom said:

I was also accepted to the Pocatello campus after my interview on Wednesday. Excited to meet all of you! And congrats Wende - Looking forward to seeing you again!

Andrew Bloom

Awesome Andrew! Lauren from or group of 3 will be in Meridian so I guess it was a good day for interviews! 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, medic1210 said:

What is the "mission survey point"?

The mission survey is a questionnaire you will be asked to complete once you have been offered an interview. Essentially it evaluates you based on past socioeconomics/demographics. Did you grow up in an underserved area? Did you or your family qualify for aid (Medicaid, food stamps,etc)? Did you receive any of your education in Idaho? There are many more questions. You can receive up to one point to be added to your total score if you can answer “yes” to 2 or more of the questions. 

Archived