Pre-PA receiving VA compensation, looking for AD MSC USN

Some background

I am a former Hospital Corpsman, 5 years AD with time split between an infantry unit and a clinic. I was honorably discharged in 2013 and started attending school on Ch 33 benefits in 2014. I applied for VA benefits in 2016, was awarded a rating in 2017. They were as follows; 10% TBI, 20% shoulder instability ( I had 2 surgeries) and 70% for PTSD with insomnia. Now I have changed my lifestyle and my insomnia is non existent. My PTSD was never serious, I believe the rating is high due to the insomnia. I am looking to ask for a re-evaluation from the VA to reconsider the diagnosis and hopefully remove it from my records so to speak. 

Now or the reason for the post, I am not too far off from applying to PA schools. If I were to be accepted and complete the program, assuming the VA recognizes that my diagnosis was something along the lines of a maladjustment disorder of a transient nature and deems that I do not have PTSD, would I be eligible to serve active duty again as a PA. I know it’s a long shot here but I am assuming that some Navy PA’s visit these boards. 

I have emailed a few MSO recruiters and have not heard back and any search on this website either yielded something from years ago or not applicable. 

All of this is because I’m told that PTSD disqualifies one from a commissioning. 

3 hours ago, Iliketorun said:

Some background

I am a former Hospital Corpsman, 5 years AD with time split between an infantry unit and a clinic. I was honorably discharged in 2013 and started attending school on Ch 33 benefits in 2014. I applied for VA benefits in 2016, was awarded a rating in 2017. They were as follows; 10% TBI, 20% shoulder instability ( I had 2 surgeries) and 70% for PTSD with insomnia. Now I have changed my lifestyle and my insomnia is non existent. My PTSD was never serious, I believe the rating is high due to the insomnia. I am looking to ask for a re-evaluation from the VA to reconsider the diagnosis and hopefully remove it from my records so to speak. 

Now or the reason for the post, I am not too far off from applying to PA schools. If I were to be accepted and complete the program, assuming the VA recognizes that my diagnosis was something along the lines of a maladjustment disorder of a transient nature and deems that I do not have PTSD, would I be eligible to serve active duty again as a PA. I know it’s a long shot here but I am assuming that some Navy PA’s visit these boards. 

I have emailed a few MSO recruiters and have not heard back and any search on this website either yielded something from years ago or not applicable. 

All of this is because I’m told that PTSD disqualifies one from a commissioning. 

If you can have it listed that it was likely never really PTSD or the issue has resolved, sure. Would just need to bring in the documentation. Getting the dolts at MEPS to listen beyond “PTSD” may be challenging.

56 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

If you can have it listed that it was likely never really PTSD or the issue has resolved, sure. Would just need to bring in the documentation. Getting the dolts at MEPS to listen beyond “PTSD” may be challenging.

Thank you for the response. I’m hoping to come up with a couple of evaluations from outside the VA network before I go to the DAV to get the ball rolling on their end. Anything to strengthen my case. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived