Quitting before starting job

I am a new grad PA who recently accepted a job at a hospital that I will be starting 4 months from now.  The base pay is okay, a little below average for the state (I will be moving).  They will not help pay for my license, will not help with relocation expenses.  I recently have found various new positions that I am interested in with higher pay, however I have already accepted this position.  My contract says either party can withdraw at either time.  With that being said, would it be okay to apply for these jobs and if I get one with better pay and benefits quit the position I currently hold?  I don't want to ruin my reputation as a PA especially this early in my career, so just wondering peoples thoughts.

4 minutes ago, Q1234 said:

My contract says either party can withdraw at either time.

You have your answer right here.  There is no points for loyalty.  You need to do what is best for you and your career.  Don't let a better opportunity pass you by.  You won't ruin your reputation at all.  It's not like you are breaking your contract or being named in a malpractice suit.

13 minutes ago, 11BtoPA said:

You have your answer right here.  There is no points for loyalty.  You need to do what is best for you and your career.  Don't let a better opportunity pass you by.  You won't ruin your reputation at all.  It's not like you are breaking your contract or being named in a malpractice suit.

And you certainly aren't going to list a job you never started on future resumes so it's not like anyone will ever track them down.  The only downfall is potential word of mouth if people talk in a small community or something and only you can assess that risk.

No, you must accept the job with lower pay and you must like every day of it.

If you get a gig with better bennies-  

"Thank you very much for the opportunity to be a part of your organization, but I must regretfully decline at this time due to personal reasons."

Its business.  Be polite and dont burn bridges, but remember you are in this for you.

I ended up doing something similar, and for the better in the end, but as a result got put on the no hire list at the previous employer, which is one of three major hospital systems in the area....  keep that in mind. You may not be breaking a rule or covenant, but you may also be pouring gasoline all over a bridge and lighting that bad boy on fire.  

I interviewed with multiple hospitals right out of PA school(1987 ancient history), with only one offering me a IM job 2 weeks after the interview, which I accepted. Two weeks later my preferred employer offered me the ED job I was seeking. Each had similar salaries and were teaching institutions and I would be relocating from Seattle to New England without any assistant. So I took the job that I truly wanted and sent my regrets to the first hospital. Oddly 18 years later , I took an ED job at the first hospital after resigning my IM job at the second hospital!! Full circle w/o pain for anyone.

Archived