First job offer

Hey everyone, need some advice. I recently graduated and have a job offer waiting. I am hoping whoever takes a look can give me some advice. 

The job is a hospitalist for the general surgery service. The salary is above average, good benefits, $2,000 CME allowance, all licenses paid, no call, and 25 days PTO. The only downside for this job is the training. I was told it would be double coverage for 'about a month, maybe more maybe less'. After that I would be the only PA for that service. Now I would have possible backup from a resident if needed (but they also may be in the OR and they don't work every shift) and I was told that the PAs on the other services are always happy to help the newbies out if we need it. They recently hired another new graduate and she has been there 3 months and the hiring manager said she is doing very well (I have not spoken with or met her).

For a new graduate does that seem like adequate support? 

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the input! Thankfully it is hourly. I was told we either work 3 12s a week or 3 24s every 2 weeks and it is flexible. I spoke with several of the PAs who were very happy with the scheduling and said overtime is available if you want it but never forced. I appreciate the advice, I will definitely make sure to get the hours in writing before I start!

This sounds like a pretty nice position overall. Regarding that adequate training and back up, you should definitely ask to speak with all the PAs on the other services. They will be able to answers those questions better than anyone. One month of dedicated orientation sounds adequate to me if the attendings or senior residents are readily available for questions. If they are not, you will initially have a tough time on your own.

I work in a surgical sub specialty and had about a month of dedicated orientation, but we have 2-3 residents at any given time and our attendings are very involved and readily availiable by phone and text. After about 4 months the residents were coming to me for guidance. 

If there are no red flags after speaking with the other PAs, I think you should strongly consider this position as the salary, schedule and benefits sound very good. Also I can tell you from experience that being the only PA on service will allow you a stronger relationship with attendings and maybe get you more specialized training or an opportunity to get in the OR if that interests you. 

We train minimum 12 weeks, sometimes longer if the hire needs extra time, and there is always another PA available (or a resident on the weekends). I would find out what the average census is and like everyone else said, talk to the other PAs. Also ask what the hours are during training. You will have a harder time if you’re working 12s during orientation. Would be better to start off with 8s or 10s to physically be there more frequently and get more exposure.

I don’t think a month of training is enough for a new grad, but my patient population is complex and very sick. If that’s not the case with your service, a month might be ok.

Archived