FYI for my prior service colleagues: I’m in the process of finalizing, but it appears you can use 100% Institution of Higher Learning GI Bill benefits (not the “apprenticeship” 80% and tapering pay) during residency. I’m choosing to use the Montgomery GI Bill since it gives more money than the BAH of post 9/11 for my area, and with no tuition it’s all money in my pocket. Really going to help make up for that income loss.

Note: HPSP and those who direct commission with loan repayment cannot use the Montogomery GI Bill, only HSCP recipients who paid in. Another reason HSCP is better, in my opinion.

On 1/4/2018 at 1:56 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

FYI for my prior service colleagues: I’m in the process of finalizing, but it appears you can use 100% Institution of Higher Learning GI Bill benefits (not the “apprenticeship” 80% and tapering pay) during residency. I’m choosing to use the Montgomery GI Bill since it gives more money than the BAH of post 9/11 for my area, and with no tuition it’s all money in my pocket. Really going to help make up for that income loss.

Note: HPSP and those who direct commission with loan repayment cannot use the Montogomery GI Bill, only HSCP recipients who paid in. Another reason HSCP is better, in my opinion.

from what I understand (as an HPSP guy) is that if you commit beyond you initial commitment for HPSP you can use either montgomery and post 911.

1 hour ago, SCHMITTIE120 said:

from what I understand (as an HPSP guy) is that if you commit beyond you initial commitment for HPSP you can use either montgomery and post 911.

Sorry, yes, that’s true. I think you have to do 3 years additional. Can’t just do one more year though? Is that right?

yes it is a another three year commitment from what I understand.

Good topic though.  I don't know if I will make the USN a career but if I don't I will definitely be doing an EM residency/fellowship when I get out and helping bump up the paycheck will make it a smoother transition.

Good Luck in your residency/fellowship!  I would love details on what program you choose and why.

5 hours ago, SCHMITTIE120 said:

yes it is a another three year commitment from what I understand.

Good topic though.  I don't know if I will make the USN a career but if I don't I will definitely be doing an EM residency/fellowship when I get out and helping bump up the paycheck will make it a smoother transition.

Good Luck in your residency/fellowship!  I would love details on what program you choose and why.

Tried to PM, but says you can’t receive messages. Box full?

Following. Im an Amy PA and deciding whether to retire and seek out a civilian EM residency/fellowship or apply to the Army Baylor program and stick it out a few more years. If you verify and start recieving for you program please keep us updated. I have 9.5 months of Montgomery left and can convert to post 9-11 for another 12months so O can look at a 12or 18 month program, leaning towards 12for sure though.

You should be able to as far as collecting the BAH portion. From all of the programs I spoke with this is new territory for them. One thing that I have read as far as MD residencies is that it is infinitely easier to use GI Bill if the residency is associated with an institution of higher learning and you are considered a student there. I have found a few PA residencies that do this , such as EVMS. My discussion with the contact their stated that the registrar will verify you ther which should make for easy going. With other programs, your mileage may vary.

Archived