• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ttnPA
      Hi guys, 
      I am currently an undergrad about to graduate in May with a bachelor of science in Neuroscience. I'm hoping to get some advice/insight on my application and stats. 
      cGPA: 3.4
      sGPA: 3.2
      Last 60 hrs: 3.7
      PCE: 
      ER scribe: 2000+ (I understand not all school accepts this as PCE but the schools I will be applying to does)  MA?: 700 hrs. (I worked at a Chiropractor office about 2 years ago. I didn't have a job title but my duties included triage, assisting physician in minor procedures, and acting as a medical translator between the patient and the physician) Would this still count?  Medical Assistance: About to begin this job in May at a local urgent care near my house. Will be train on the spot and hopefully get certified in a few months. Volunteer: 
      Children Hospital: 60+ hours Volunteer at local hospital in high school: 50 hours (Don't know if this would still count) Shadowing:
      30+ hours ER PA (2 separate PA) 10 hours cardiology PA pending shadowing with ICU PA  LOR:
      ER physician  ER Physician ER PA Cardiology PA GRE: taking in May 
      So, I understand both of my GPA is on the lower side. I did dual enrollment as a high school student and my transfer GPA after starting college was 3.8. Sadly, something very unfortunate happened in my life a week before my first semester and it became really tough balancing school, my life, and my mother's medical issue. I was also a Biology major and very confused about what I wanted to do in my life during this time. Took a bunch of classes I never needed (wasted money) and made B's on most of them and 1 C. Then, the following year my mother's health worsened and stupidly during this time I decided to take O-chem while all of this was happening.  I ended up failing my first class ever with a D. It took a while for me to bounce back but I eventually did and passed O-chem the second time I retook it. Since then, I've changed my major to Neuroscience (LOVE IT) and have made A's in most of my classes and 2-3 B's in others. 
      Is there anyway to improve my application? I am planning to apply this cycle regardless just to get familiar with the process and hopefully I get an offer or two. However, I am prepare to accept the fact that I may not get in this year so that means I might have a "gap" year to improve myself. I would appreciate any advice/insight! Thank you for taking your time to read this!
    • By KellyBeth
      Hi everyone,
      I really really want to be a physician assistant, but I don't have the most outstanding test scores or grades. I was wondering if you all could give me your opinion on if I have any chance at all of getting into a PA program. My overall GPA was a 3.30 and my science GPA was a 3.27. I took the GRE and got a 155 on verbal, but only a 145 on the quantitative section, and a 4.0 on the writing section. I will have 1,720 hours of healthcare experience working as a CNA by the time I am planning to apply to physician assistant programs. I also have 24 hours of shadowing PAs as experience. Please let me know if you think I have any chance of being accepted into a PA program. Also, if any of you have any recommendations on PA programs that would be best for me to apply to based on my stats I would greatly appreciate that!
      Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
    • By samweres
      Hi everyone. I am planning on applying for my second time this upcoming April 2019. This past cycle i decided to apply in June 2018 and didn’t get my apps in until late July. I just applied to two programs that i already qualified for. I think my main error last cycle was applying so late and to so few schools.  I should’ve just waited until this cycle, but it is okay because now i am more prepared and have a bulkier application. If anyone could give me advice on areas to improve on that’d be great! 
      Bachelors in Respiratory Care (2017)
      cGPA: 3.4 (Caspa 2018 calculation)
      sGpa:3.4 (Casap 2018 calculation)
      Since last cycle i have taken or i plan to have completed before this cycle: Bio 2(A),Chem 2(A), Genetics (A), Orgo I (TBD, estimating a B+ to be on the safe side), Stat (TBD, est A). This should bring my GPA up to at least a 3.5 - 3.6ish?
      3,300 hrs PCE as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (full time current career)
      100 hrs volunteer/HCE medical mission trip to Peru.
      25 volunteer hours from various events in college
      500 hrs leadership experience for running student run organization in college(dance team)
      4 years of being on college dance team.
      700 hrs non HCE work as nanny of 3 children including one autistic child
      24 hrs PA shadowing (cardiac surgery, critical care/pulmonary, plastic surgery)
      GRE: scheduled for March 30 (have started studying, hoping for a 300)
      LOR: 1 PA I shadowed, 1 from my Respiratory Care Manager, and one from my Resporatory peogram director/professor(?). I can probably do another PA if that would look better, but I know some schools require a professor  
      Any criticism would be helpful! My goal is to apply before May 15th this cycle to about 7 schools! Thanks in advance everyone!

• By whitecoatrosegold
      Hello all. Hoping for some insight on my stats for getting interviews and just a SINGLE acceptance to PA school.
      Major: Dual B.S. Biological Sciences & B.S. Criminology from Virginia Tech cGPA: 3.43 sGPA: 3.32 PCE: 5,000+ as an EMT-B in a few different settings (volunteer 911 ambulance, beach first-aid station, horse show on-site EMT) HCE: organized and ran 3 bone marrow registry drives on campus, volunteer in hospital ER (roughly 30 hours), deputy section planning chief for HSEEP compliant exercise  Shadowing: 60 hours between 2 PAs in 2 EDs Volunteer: 3,000 as volunteer EMT, volunteer in hospital, Dominican Republic mission trip Leadership: appointed historian for fraternity and next year elected master of ceremonies (executive position in charge of running all events) Certifications: EMT, BLS, CEVO, quite a few FEMA certifications Research: undergraduate research 1 semester in bacteriophage genome LORs: academic advisor/professor/research instructor, PA, lead paramedic at volunteer EMS organization, chief of department of volunteer EMS organization, riding instructor (coach)
    • By ZackDpa
      I am in the final few weeks of my freshman year of college. I came in pre-nursing but realized I wasn't cut out for it. I got a 3.16 GPA first semester, and second semester has been a complete disaster, Biology, and anatomy I am barely passing, but nutrition and psychology I should be able to 4.0. I plan on retaking bio and anatomy, but with a 3.0 GPA freshman year is it possible to build up my GPA enough to get into PA school? Also, I am deciding what major to choose for my undergrad since Pre-nursing isn't a major, I was thinking kinesiology but I'm not sure.  I am trying to work as a CNA in the summer and working with a non-profit to put on my apps. Sorry for the information overload but I am scared I won't be able to get in any programs and be stuck with a useless degree. Any words of encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More